Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right its about a year or so untill i get my next car, but i keep thinking about it. lol

heres my criteria:

must be,

1. quality, inside and out, and running in general

2. be good looking

3. be 0-60 in under 6.5secs

4. not be too old

5. be insurance group 17 or less (maybe 18 if its really worth it)

EDIT:

6. must be semi unique (like my listed cars). by this i mean it must not look like every other car on the road today, eg a bog standard bmw or mk4 golf. i liek to have something i little different/special if you know what i mean [:)]

my shortlist so far:

bmw 330 clubsport

mk4 r32 golf

celica gt4

subaru impreza turbo of some sort (EDIT: old "square" version, not the new bugged eyes one lol)

Edit: focus rs or focus st

Pros and cons

bmw 330 clubsport

pros:

quality

fast good looking

reliable

rwd

cons:

expensive to buy

mk4 r32 golf

pros

quality

fast good looking

reliable

i know a lot more about mk4s now than most other cars

4wd

cons

hmmmmm, not to sure yet, supose i couls mention the rubbish stealers lol

celica gt4

pros

fast

fairly good looking (imo)

cheaper to buy than the abvove

4wd

cons

interior looks rubbish

not sure about quality?

subaru impreza turbo of some sort

pros

fast

fairly good looking (imo)

cheaper to buy than the abvove

4wd

cons

prob worse mpg than the others

and one other chocie ish lol

seat leon 225cupra r

pros

good looking

quality?

cons

not quite as fast as i wanted

fwd right?

focus rs

pros:

fairly good looking

fast

lower ins group than all the others mentioned

tidy bulid quality?

nice interior iirc?

cons

fwd

its a ford (im told thats bad [*-)]

focus rs

pros:

fairly good looking

fast

lower ins group than all the others mentioned

tidy bulid quality?

unique (limited number built)

cons

fwd

possible tacky blue interior???

so any other ideas from you will be appreciated [:p]

thank youuuuuuuuuuuuus

Andy [:)]

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Whats your budget?

A Leon Cupra R is as pretty well fast as an R32. Mapped, it will pull away from one. Also, mpg is gonna be similar between the R32 and Subaru.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Just gonna say a leon Cupra R, group 17 ins, brembo brakes as standard and with a re-map alone you will be looking at around 260/270 bhp [Y]

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whats your budget?

A Leon Cupra R is as pretty well fast as an R32. Mapped, it will pull away from one. Also, mpg is gonna be similar between the R32 and Subaru.
parkers says LCR is 6.7

and and r32 is 6.4 or 6.5 right?

its for when im 21 when ins becomes more relaistic ish - so ideally the car would need to be standard for the ins

or i could be ok for a 1.9tdi remapped a few times i guess on the ins.

when i sell my car and have what i have saved i expect to have about 15K to spend. but the 330clubsport is about 20k, but my dad loves tthat car and would go halfs wiv me and share the bmw i was hopin if i went for that haha

·
Registered
811 Posts
Depends on budget and general usage... The Cupra R is the all rounder of the bunch. I own one and love it... its fast(ish) certainly as fast as the R32 in stock form. Good looking (matter of opinion), build quality is pretty good... certainly no worse than the golf. It doesnt shine in any category in particular but is a decent performer in the categories you list.

Its largely down to what you want to pay, the cost of running it and if you plan to modify it much?

Of those Id go with the BMW, R32 or Cupra R... the GT$ is a lovely car imho, but interior isnt good as you say.. and Im right of Scoobies atm.. To OTT for me!

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
LCRs are a mix of old A3 and MKIV golf parts, so they're really well screwed together... optional Recaros, although rare are very nice too.

What's a clubsport?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Depends on budget and general usage... The Cupra R is the all rounder of the bunch. I own one and love it... its fast(ish) certainly as fast as the R32 in stock form. Good looking (matter of opinion), build quality is pretty good... certainly no worse than the golf. It doesnt shine in any category in particular but is a decent performer in the categories you list.

Its largely down to what you want to pay, the cost of running it and if you plan to modify it much?

Of those Id go with the BMW, R32 or Cupra R... the GT$ is a lovely car imho, but interior isnt good as you say.. and Im right of Scoobies atm.. To OTT for me!
i agree with nearly all of that

what sport of mpg do you have on the LCR, is it the 225?

im still thinking the r32 is what is best, but maybe ill be bored as my car likes like one (in a way) at the mo hmmmmmmmmmm

thanks for the help

and other random suggestions of cars and makes and model accpeted too [:p] lol

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Whats your budget?

parkers says LCR is 6.7

and and r32 is 6.4 or 6.5 right?
Are you buying a car purely on how fast it goes from 0-60?! Hopefully not!

The Leon Cupra is marginally slower than an R32 0-60 stock vs stock. However the R32 and its 4x4 will do those figures most of the time, even in the wet where Leon and its front drive, will only do it on a dry road.

Having said that, with a few hundred ? spent on it, a Leon Cupra R would see 260-270bhp, be slightly faster 0-60 than a stock R32 and be faster in a straight line thereafter too.

If you want a car that can accelarate quickly, how about a Vauxhall VX220 Turbo or a quick version of the Elise? If not, how about a mapped TDi and a motorbike?!

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Ahhh - that explains it, I'm not too hot on Beemers.

LCR prices are going to take a big hit once the new one is about - you've also got to consider even at 21 with 3/4 years NCB you're going to get spanked on insurance when you mention re-mapped to them... might be better getting something quick out of the box?? like the R32 etc.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Ive never seen the fascination with 330 clubsports. Alot of extra money for silly cheap looking bits and a nominal difference. Save the money. Get a 330Ci if you go the BM route

LCR, good choice, mate has a mapped one at 270bhp and it files. Looks mean, comfy, well built etc.

Audi S3 (although I think they are well overpriced)?

R32. Nice choice.

Scooby. Great car and fun, but done to death and now in the hands of the chav brigade. Also quite expensive to run and maintain. If you do decide, get a limited model, like an RB5, P1 etc.

·
Registered
811 Posts

i agree with nearly all of that

what sport of mpg do you have on the LCR, is it the 225?

im still thinking the r32 is what is best, but maybe ill be bored as my car likes like one (in a way) at the mo hmmmmmmmmmm

thanks for the help

and other random suggestions of cars and makes and model accpeted too [:p] lol
Yes I drive the 225. A full tank gives 270-320 miles average of 300 ish I guess. Although that depends on driving style.. With the full blueflame turboback exhaust and a remap its looking at 275bhp and it sounds sublime imho! Thats my target!

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Ive never seen the fascination with 330 clubsports. Alot of extra money for silly cheap looking bits and a nominal difference. Save the money. Get a 330Ci if you go the BM route
Before you even listed the cars, your criteria shouted 330 Sport to me. Drive one and you will see what I mean [:)]
I agree with Bazking - don't bother with the Clubsport. Its an ugly spoiler, some kick plates, fins for the front bumper (yours for ?80) and quite often a silly price premium over a Sport. Its also only available in Estoril Blue, Velevet Blue (Purple), Black and Silver.?If you want Estoril they sort of make sense, but there are quite a few special order Sports out their ('Individuals') in Estoril anyway. And the lip spoiler is much nicer that the chavy wing on the Clubsport IMO.
I can give loads of advice on 330s obviously but key points re
A) AVOID the SSG box like the plagueB) Must be a Sport, not an SEC) Post facelifted cars are better and have a couple more toys, LED lights etcD) Satnav desirable but more commonly fitted to Autos (I would say you MUST get a manual)E) Harmon Kardon stereo is toshF) Electric seats, parking sensors, etc are stock - ignore sellers who say otherwiseG) Bluetooth, Sunroof, 6CD, Xenons, Satnav, Futura Leather (M3 leather rather than stock) are the options to look out for

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Are you buying a car purely on how fast it goes from 0-60?! Hopefully not!

The Leon Cupra is marginally slower than an R32 0-60 stock vs stock. However the R32 and its 4x4 will do those figures most of the time, even in the wet where Leon and its front drive, will only do it on a dry road.

Having said that, with a few hundred ? spent on it, a Leon Cupra R would see 260-270bhp, be slightly faster 0-60 than a stock R32 and be faster in a straight line thereafter too.

If you want a car that can accelarate quickly, how about a Vauxhall VX220 Turbo or a quick version of the Elise? If not, how about a mapped TDi and a motorbike?!
no not purely for 0-60 time, but was one of my factors

the hugeeee offput to me about the LCR is that i really really wanted rwd or 4wd on my next car.

i could insure an elsie or vx220, besides they are a bit small and dangerous imo even though i would love one.

And whats the budget?!
as i said to you above [:p] lol - about 15k

Ahhh - that explains it, I'm not too hot on Beemers.

LCR prices are going to take a big hit once the new one is about - you've also got to consider even at 21 with 3/4 years NCB you're going to get spanked on insurance when you mention re-mapped to them... might be better getting something quick out of the box?? like the R32 etc.
exactley, 4 yrs ncb hopefully and at 21. for any of the cars above im looking at about ?800 odd to insure a standard one. if i mentioned remap they would prob have a fit at me lol

so fast out of the box is the best bet

Before you even listed the cars, your criteria shouted 330 Sport to me. Drive one and you will see what I mean

I agree with Bazking - don't bother with the Clubsport. Its an ugly spoiler, some kick plates, fins for the front bumper (yours for ?80) and quite often a silly price premium over a Sport. Its also only available in Estoril Blue, Velevet Blue (Purple), Black and Silver. If you want Estoril they sort of make sense, but there are quite a few special order Sports out their ('Individuals') in Estoril anyway. And the lip spoiler is much nicer that the chavy wing on the Clubsport IMO.

I can give loads of advice on 330s obviously but key points re

A) AVOID the SSG box like the plague
B) Must be a Sport, not an SE
C) Post facelifted cars are better and have a couple more toys, LED lights etc
D) Satnav desirable but more commonly fitted to Autos (I would say you MUST get a manual)
E) Harmon Kardon stereo is tosh
F) Electric seats, parking sensors, etc are stock - ignore sellers who say otherwise
G) Bluetooth, Sunroof, 6CD, Xenons, Satnav, Futura Leather (M3 leather rather than stock) are the options to look out for
so whats the difference between a sport and a clubsport?

i also should have made one of my factors :

to be unique, not the same old all the time as some bmws have become, no offence.

i think the spoiler is slightly chav as you say lol

i love the colour Estoril Blue, Velevet Blue (Purple) though [:p]

whats wrong with the SSG, is taht the paddle shift thingy?

and i though harmon kardon was meant to be the dogs lol

thanks for all the info guys, very interesting reading [:)]

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
How about a Subaru 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi with 23,000 miles for ?14,100. Look at autotrader. Looks and sounds ace, faster than all the cars above, and has 4x4 for grip. Ignore the comments about being chavvy - that is reserved for early mid-90's jap import models.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How about a Subaru 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi with 23,000 miles for ?14,100. Look at autotrader. Looks and sounds ace, faster than all the cars above, and has 4x4 for grip. Ignore the comments about being chavvy - that is reserved for early mid-90's jap import models.
just edited my original post to answer you [:p]

not a fan of the new type, even though they are fast, very fast!!! and well price in comparison to some cars.

i also feel they are not too chavy

1 - 20 of 37 Posts