Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys
Just registered and ready to start getting some long overdue VW Mk4 knowledge.

I have a 2001 Mk4 2001 1.9 tdi 90BHP that has 160k that has been with me for the past 6-7yrs and hasnt been treated as good as it could have been due to share laziness!

I love my car and want to give it the care it deserves but dont know where i should start. I did my first oil change and air filter change on it last week which went well now i want to turn my attention to the rest of the engine area.

Can anyone tell me what i need to change and the benefits of changing them from start to finish please ie. EGR valve, Throttle body etc

Appreciated guys

Thank You

WMDubs

·
Registered
414 Posts
'6-7 years and first oil change? Ouch. Which engine is it? People will be able to advise on benefits of cleaning/ changing if they know it it's petro/diesel. Turbo/ non etc. Welcome to the forum!'

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks G TiJON

It hasnt taken me 6-7yrs to give my car an oil change, this was the first time that i did it myself rather than taking it to a garage.

My Mk4 is a 2001 1.9 tdi - will edit my post it add this info

Many Thanks

·
Registered
414 Posts
[quote user="WMDubs"]

Thanks G TiJON

It hasnt taken me 6-7yrs to give my car an oil change, this was the first time that i did it myself rather than taking it to a garage.

My Mk4 is a 2001 1.9 tdi - will edit my post it add this info

Many Thanks

[/quote]

phew!

·
Adrian
4,149 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Hopefully when you did the oil, you also replaced the filter

Is anything actually wrong with he car, or are you just looking to throw some money at it, and service it properly?

EGR valve - clean/replace

Throttle body - Diesels don't have one.

Cabin/Pollen filter - often overlooked

Brake fluid - should be cheanged every 4 years

Cambelt - should be replaced every 4 years/60k miles

gearbox oil - can make older transmissions smoother, only use VW oil.

TB3 - Clean up the 3 main power cables in the bay, Alternator -> battery, negative under the battery tray, starter motor + seal with silicon grease to prevent corrosion.

Anything made of rubber - top mounts, lower control arm bushes, ARB bushes, dog bone mount, rear beam bushes...

·
Registered
414 Posts
Think a few people add the mr muscle turbo clean to their service list too

There is a thread about it on here

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks sootpig

When i changed the oil the first thing i did was to change the filter.

At the moment the car isnt running as smooth as it should be. Very loud, not as responsive as i know it can/ should be and can feel EVERY bump in in the road. So want to bring it back with some TLC. Bodywork is perfect!

EGR valve - will replace is this something that can be easily done by myself?

Cabin/Pollen filter - I know i can do easily

Brake fluid - i will have to get done is this something that can be done by myself?

Cambelt - Done!

gearbox oil - i will have to get done is this something that can be done by myself?

TB3 - will get cleaned

Anything made of rubber - i will get replaced

·
Registered
414 Posts
According to that thread innotec doesn't foam up well enough to be effective, i've never used it though. And about the fuel filter couple guys in work had rough runner, so they bought a new fuel filter, filled it with an engine flush put it on and took it for a spin, worked a dream, but again, never done it myself

Are there any running issues or are you just looking at renewing anything you can?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks GTiJON

Since friday i have changed the Cabin Filter so add that to the Air Filter and Oil change i feel that im nearly there. All that i have to do now is the Fuel Filter Change with Mr Muscle Flush and replace my EGR Valve. Once that is done im hoping that she (Mk4) will be performing a lot happier. At the moment she is very loud and grunty (if thats even a word!)

Where can i find the Mr Muscle link?

Once again thanks GTiJON

·
Registered
179 Posts
One thing no-one has mentioned...glow plugs...

Simple 5 minute job using a long 10 socket, and will help your car start on cold mornings like this, try filling the tank with diesel and running a bottle of redex or similar through it octane boost or even a bit of unleaded mixed in (someone might burn me for saying that
but I have never had any problems with it) and will help clean injectors etc.

Also i noticed my alternator tensioner was banging about like a whore in a ship yard, Circa £30 from GSF (others available) and took away the last nasty rattle from my engine bay engine sounds smooth as a nut now and mine has covered 167k

Welcome to the forum though, theres loads of guys on here that are more than willing to help, I'm only young but everyone on here is really helpful

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
[quote user="DirtyTdi"]

One thing no-one has mentioned...glow plugs...

Simple 5 minute job using a long 10 socket, and will help your car start on cold mornings like this, try filling the tank with diesel and running a bottle of redex or similar through it octane boost or even a bit of unleaded mixed in (someone might burn me for saying that
but I have never had any problems with it) and will help clean injectors etc.

Also i noticed my alternator tensioner was banging about like a whore in a ship yard, Circa £30 from GSF (others available) and took away the last nasty rattle from my engine bay engine sounds smooth as a nut now and mine has covered 167k

Welcome to the forum though, theres loads of guys on here that are more than willing to help, I'm only young but everyone on here is really helpful

[/quote]

A bit of unleaded? Really? Never heard of that!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yea, its an old crude method, but always worked before, its a really fine mix though something like a couple of litres to a tank if i remember...I will dig into old forums to get the right ratio, but some of the guys on Briskoda used that instead of the octane boost too but not sure if i would recommend using it long term more as a supplement to using Redex.

It burns higher than diesel so burns the crap off injectors etc, hence you dont want to be using it in high volumes!

I'm sure someone will gun me down if they have had a really bad experience with it

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks DirtyTdi

You are right to suggest Glow Plugs. I intend on doing that but it totally slipped my mind this morning. Thanks for the heads up regarding Redex, will definately do that at the end of the month. If i can add pics to show my progress i will try to do so.

Will have to have a look at my Alternator tensioner and let you know. Thanks again for that info!

This site is only as good as its members and at the moment i cant fault it.

Thanks again to all!

·
Registered
179 Posts
FYI on the petrol situation, I have found the thread where guys are mixing 20% petrol in with thier veg oil diesel...as yet I cant find the one which visited all the options for redex/octane boost/petrol etc.

Might just start a new one on here and see what results it gets...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.