Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well having lurked for a few years since buying a family wagon (D2 A8, then replaced with a D3 A8 due to gearbox failure on the D2), I thought it was time to introduce my project !

My project is to put an AGU engine and FML gearbox into a Series 1 Lotus Elise...

I've always fancied the idea, but installation costs meant it was too expensive. Find one a mad-man currently trying to build the most lowerful road-legal, Audi-powered Elise who was selling off some parts, along with one installer deciding that branching out into DIY kits was a way to held his turnover, and a thought started to tug at the sensible part of my brain.

I currently have an installation manual and a JabbaSport exhaust manifold. And a feeling of apprehension.

Ready to arrive next week are bespoke driveshafts, engine mounts, JabbaSport flywheel / clutch, triple-map Emerald ECU, Owen Developments turbo and all manner of things that'll need some head-scratching to see where they go!

All I need is an engine and gearbox. And that's where my problem is - trusting an unknown seller (breaker / Ebay, etc). Even my local (recommended, decent chap) breaker tried to pass off a 164k engine for 94k. Luckily for me, he left the MoT failure notice on the passenger seat.

So, what's the target ? The Emerald is live-switchable between 3 maps. I plan an MoT-friendly / wet weather (kitty kat's) map of around 170bhp, a second (dry-fun) map of around 260bhp and a third (dry-track) map of around 350bhp.

The parts I'm getting are from a car that was running 450bhp, so I'm not exactly pushing the limits, but in a car that was originally sold with 118bhp, it'll be interesting enough. I had a standard one, and currently have one putting out ~200bhp. You know how it goes - you're happy with your power until you have a trip in something bigger and better. You go home, look at some shiny pictures, make the numbers add-up in you mind. Try and convince the other half that it's a really good idea (more important than the new kitchen, anyway) and before you know it you've committed to buying stuff you don't need !!!!!

So, anyone know of an engine / box / reputable breaker ?

Promise to do a build thread when I finnaly get everything together and start it !

Cheers !

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
[quote user="timbomfg"]

TBF theres a lad on TDICLUB with an Elise running a TDI engine running around 200bhp and 300lb-ft of torque, and thats just nuts!

[/quote]

Bet that's awesome Tim!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.