Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished washing and waxing my 2-day old Black GT TDI.

I used Turtle Wax 'Extreme wash and wax' as shampoo. Then dried with chamois and waxed using Turtle Wax Platinum series precision car wax.

I know the paint job was immaculate before I started anyway, but how do you think i did as a first-timer??

·
Registered
398 Posts
Looking really good mate....can`t really comment on the Turtle stuff as have never used it...(or likely too)...but the on going "best products" topic is never ending....you can`t belive how much of a difference good products can make.....check out all the info on here and you`ll soon be wrapped up in it all....personally for me Swissol is the best there is......[:D][:D] good effort....[Y][Y]

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for the positive comments guys!

This is my first ever black car. I've tended to go for Silver / Met blue in the past.

Wow, clean black cars look the business!!!! Respect to all your black car owners in the detailing forum. All your motors look MINT!!

Matt.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Looks shiny enough[Y] Good effort. Next time, try a clay bar for glassy smooth surface e.g. a
Sonus Green Ultra Fine (afaik Alex @ SP stocks these) or Swissol and you'll be
surprise how much rubbish is on there even for a new car.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Carlos,

I just went for a roll of 100% cotton cloth from halfrauds. Applied with that then buffed off with a clean section of the same stuff.

The thing that put me off using a sponge was the fact that you would have to store the sponge between waxing sessions (or are they normally single use?). In my house, the sponge would inevitably collect grit and dirt from the cupboard/draw that its stored in, which would mean something nasty on the second wax. This is why I went for a fresh piece of cotton cloth as my applicator.

I found the waxing part strangely fun- especially the buffing. One minute the car is covered in a haze.. a couple of wipes and.. bravo!

Perhaps that just makes me strangely sad. Or just strange!

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
no, i means you have caught the bug.....

invest in some mircofibre cloths.....washable, and very soft.

and storage aint an issue. like the applicator pads, you could store your cloths in a sealy sandwich bag, meaning no grit.

the applicator pads are actually more economical to use, as they dont absorb as much of your valuable was as the cloths do. perhaps thats something to bear in mind. i also found that the stockingette frays at the adges, leaving behind small pieces of the cloth, or indeed just dust. MF cloths stop that, and give a better, dust free finish.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Tis a soft clay/putty bar that can be moulded in the hands....its then used with plenty of lube in a back a forth movement across the whole of the cars bodywork..(working in small areas at a time)..it removes bugs,sap,tar spots,overspray and any other light blemishes in the paintwork....usually done once a year or so to bring back an ULTRA smooth surface prior to re-waxing......check out the websites of Swissol and Meguirs for more info on it......cost ?10+ depending on make....A MUST have for any serious detailer......

HTH

Nick

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have a 5 year old Diamond Black car which does around 20k per year and gets used for anythign and everything.

I wash it every couple of weeks and used to use Claybar, Swissol cleaner fluid & Zymol Titanium every 6 months.

When these ran out I didn't fancy spending another ?100 so spoke to Serious Performance.

Alex suggested Clearkote Vanilla Mosse Wax & Collonite 476S.

This is the result - I found the new products much easier to use than the Swissol/Zymol combination.

Posted Image

·
Registered
233 Posts
Just finished washing and waxing my 2-day old Black GT TDI.

I used Turtle Wax 'Extreme wash and wax' as shampoo. Then dried with chamois and waxed using Turtle Wax Platinum series precision car wax.

I know the paint job was immaculate before I started anyway, but how do you think i did as a first-timer??
Glad you tried the TW extreme wash, I tried it last week on 4 cars and was impressed, there is rinsing agent in the wash which is very evident, perfect for a quick wash at this time of the year.

Nice finish.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Doh!

Just one day later, the sides are covered in a thick brown film! Damn those filthy trucks!
Just hose down the car if it's still wet, if I haven't washed my car for days and have been on a 20 mile run I just hose down the car and presto clean again without having to get out shampoo bucket or sponge....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts