Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Chaps, and Chapesses

This is my first post here, (registered a while back !) and I am just after a few tips and pointers on the MK5 GTI [:D]

I have a couple of cars in mind both met (saphire ?) black both DSG

one is a mid 05 13k miles with leather and SAT nav no xenons at @ £22,500

the other is early 06 (55) 8k miles no leather or nav and no xenons at @ £21,500

I have asked the dealer to look for one with leather and xenons, are there any other desireable opts for this car ?

Also how driveable is the car with a remap +50 ish and has anyone had any issues with DSG on a mapped car

Rgds

Tony

·
Registered
538 Posts
hello Tony

Although my car isn't DSG, I can confirm that once remapped the GTI stays completely driveable, I had APR upgrade and the characteristics are just like standard only more everywhere. The low down grunt is amazing. I had remapped S3 before the GTI and would put the GTI up against it anytime. I notice you had TT before, the only thing you may miss is the traction in the wet etc, as the GTI struggles getting all that power down when conditions aren't perfect although this can be good fun.

Maybe prices are little more expensive down south but both cars seem a little steep, I gave 19300 for a 55 plate manual with leather, armrest multiplay, phone prep, 7500 miles from main VW dealer 3 months back. It may be worth a trip up north and save yourself a few quid.

Hope you find car you like

cheers

Gary

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
If you could cope with red rather than black and no flappy paddle gearbox.  You could save yourself some cash and buy my car.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My DSG GTI has been remapped for over three months now and is fantastic to drive, gets better every day[:)] I have had a lot of fast cars M3's etc and this is right up there with them but is way more fun to drive. The 0 - 60 time will not improve much because of the front wheel drive getting the power down but mid range is bonkers....

S

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks for the replies guys just come off the phone to the dealer and we might be able to do a deal on the 2nd car i spoke of [:D]

will spend a bit of time getting used to fwd again before i go to AmD with it , I guess I'll have to be careful booting it off wet roundabouts now, Its funny but it will be interesting comparing the two cars, in my TT i could use all of the power all of the time at the expense of the transmission loses once above 40

·
Registered
538 Posts
I had exactly this issue, I had been driving an APR remapped S3 for 4 years before I got the GTI. As you say you can use all off the power no matter what the conditions and it flatters you into thinking you can drive a bit. It has taken me a couple of months to get used to the GTI and you do have to be a bit more careful but to be honest I think it makes for a much more involving drive, and there no way the S3 could match the low down and mid range grunt of my remapped GTI.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
the other is early 06 (55) 8k miles no leather or nav and no xenons at @ £21,500
You can buy a brand new UK car to this spec for less than £21k. They are 'having a larf'!
I agree I ordered the car new with the spec I wanted, granted now my TT is sold I only have a rover 416 to drive round in until my GTI is built, I would rather wait though than buy a 2nd hand car for new money.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can buy a brand new UK car to this spec for less than £21k. They are 'having a larf'!
Have had a good look around and i would really like leather and Xenons the only ones i can find at @ that price are with these internet company's which are 'UK spec' and only have the 2 year pan euro warranty the actual UK cars seem to have a premium

What is the best Stereo to have as I'm coming from Bose in the TT which IMO is not to bad for an OEM set-up ?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I was comparing like with like. You can buy a brand new UK car with metalic paint and DSG from a VW franchised UK dealer (through a broker) for under £21k. That represents a 5% saving on the list price. You do not have to pay a 'premium' on a new VW Golf, but they can sell used ones for whatever they want, hence your £21.5k car with 8,000 miles on it.

The import companies (UK spec cars) are another thing altogether. You can certainly get a much bigger discount (you will pay from £17.5k for a basic spec GTI) but whether this is worth it in the long run I cannot say.

·
Registered
314 Posts
What is the best Stereo to have as I'm coming from Bose in the TT which IMO is not to bad for an OEM set-up ?
The Bose in the TT is absoloutely shocking. It's a total waste of valuable noise in my opinion. The OEM setup in the Golf will eat the TT's ICE for breakfast [:)]

If you're worried about the 2wd, why not look at an R32 to maintain the 4wd you are used to?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Bose in the TT is absoloutely shocking. It's a total waste of valuable noise in my opinion. The OEM setup in the Golf will eat the TT's ICE for breakfast [:)]

If you're worried about the 2wd, why not look at an R32 to maintain the 4wd you are used to?
I did'nt think the stereo in the one i test drove was that good although it was on radio, as for the R32 i would love one but its all about readies [:'(]

·
Registered
314 Posts
If you put a decent CD that you love to listen to, particularly one you've played a lot in the Audi, then I dare you to not see the difference [:)]

Understandable about the R32, kinda puts the new S3 out too! You'll just have to go easy on roundabouts for a bit!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thks for all the advice chaps, I am looking forward to driving it and my mind is pretty much made up

·
Registered
178 Posts
If you put a decent CD that you love to listen to, particularly one you've played a lot in the Audi, then I dare you to not see the difference [:)]

Understandable about the R32, kinda puts the new S3 out too! You'll just have to go easy on roundabouts for a bit!
what are you smoking, the golf sound system is the one thing about the car which almost everyone complains about, the bose stereo in my old tt was much better. or are you being sarcastic.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Smoking nothing my dear man.

I found the Bose setup in the TT very bad. If the car belonged to me (it's a friends) then I'd have the speakers and radio out in a flash. When I drive the car I don't turn the radio on anymore unless I need Traffic Reports or something.

My Mk4 is a million times better, and it's all stock speakers running through an MFD headunit. I've driven quite a few Mk5's, usually TDI's and the sound, although could do with some work is still a lot better than the Bose in the Audi.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok I've just done it just gave the dealer a £500 deposit 06 GTI DSG diamond black, 6cd, winter, rear park, leather, and a few other bits, that i can't remember

I'm happy and sad all at the same time

·
Registered
178 Posts
Ok I've just done it just gave the dealer a £500 deposit 06 GTI DSG diamond black, 6cd, winter, rear park, leather, and a few other bits, that i can't remember

I'm happy and sad all at the same time
dont worry mate, i took a 225 tt out for a spin the other day just to see if i still liked them after selling mine 3 years ago. i was shocked how heavy and slow it felt, i prefer my tdi now never mind my gti when that comes. the mk5 golf just seem so nimble compared to the tt which does indeed fell like a numb lump these days.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
06 GTI DSG diamond black, 6cd, winter, rear park, leather, and a few other bits, that i can't remember
Sounds nice - how did you find one with options speced on it - all the used VW cars seem pretty basic, maybe with just leather on a GTI.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts