Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

after reading quite a few posts in this section. It has dawned upon me that I am lightyears behind on the cleaning and detailing front (i'm a good old fashioned, turtle wax using an old t'shirt kind of guy) and wondered whether i could call on your wealth of knowledge and expertise for a few pro pointers please?

I have recentley bought a reflex Silver 03 MKIV R32 and have noticed a few very minor scratches over the bodywork and would generally like to give the paintwork a good going over to bring it back to its former glory

The question is where do I start? After washing and drying do I polish (to remove hairline scratches) and then wax or do I need one of these clay bar things instead?

Any pointers of what products to buy or preferably a "starter kit" suggesting products to get me started would be ideal (preferably readily available in Halfrauds, as I would like to get going on this today) and will be greatly appreciated,

Many thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Hi welcome to the forum.[:)]

I'm not especially clued up on detailing like some of the experts here, but have splashed out on an entry kit from Swissol and other bits and am really pleased with my results, when I get the time to do it properly..

My routine would be;

• Wash with Zymol shampoo (from Halfords)
  • Use clay bar.
  • Quick wash again to remove any residue
  • Meguiars Scratch-X
  • Dry car
  • Klasse SG (sealant glaze)
  • Swissol Shield wax.

To do your car justice I think a clay bar and Scratch-X would help a lot, not stocked in Halfords though. Maybe a case of get all the stuff in the week and do a really good job next week if the detailing bug has bitten - it will be worth it. Megiuars NXT is available there and a lot of people get great results.

Some people will suggest some websites for stuff and some other brands like Poorboys and different waxes.

For now have a look here;

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-perfect.html

http://www.seriousperformance.co.uk/ popular online retailer

·
Registered
7 Posts
You don't need to clay every time you wash the car. Clay is only needed maybe twice a year as it helps get off embedded contaminets. The routine outlined above is a good one. Personally i use Meguiars but its all personal preference when it comes to cleaning products. Buy something and try and if it works keep using it! Here's my routine;

Two bucket routine by the way [;)]

- Rinse car with hose
- Wash wheels with Meguairs Hot Wheels (one at a time)
- Rinse
- Wash with Meguiars NXT Car Wash using one bucket for wash solution the other bucket to rinse sponge out keep it clean and the wash solution clean. Wash one panel at a time, starting at the top of the car and rinse after washing one panel/section keeping the car wet.
- Rinse the car with a hose but with nothing on the end of the hose.You will find the water sheets off making drying much easier and shorter thus leaving fewer water marks.
- Clay (depending how paint feels, a good test is to get a polythene bag and put your fingers in it and run it over the paint you'll feel any imperfections then!)
- Paint Cleaner
- Polish
- Wax

The Clay, Paint Cleaner and Polishing can be removed from the proceedure. It depends on the quality of your paint as to how much attention and work it needs! As to products to use i would suggest using well known brands and follow the instructions on the label. Daft i know but sometimes certain products have a specific way in which it should be applied and removed. Also get yourself plenty of microfibre cloths for apply products and removing them! After using them you'll wonder how you could have used t-shirts!! [lol]
Wish you all the best and look forward to seeing the results!! [:)]

Regards,
Matt

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Yes I've used it with good results but it leaves a chalky residue on trim etc - there are better products around to wax your car at that price like Megs NXT.  For the really good results a proper carnauba wax like Zymol Swissol for P21S.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Sorry to jump in on your thread mate but the advice im after is very similar to that you seek.

Im new to this detailing stuff and i want to get some decent products to restore my car when the weather is better.

Ive found these so far

DESCRIPTIONQtyPRICECOSTREMOVE

?5.99?5.99

?9.99?9.99

?7.99?7.99

?7.99?7.99

?7.99?7.99

?12.99?12.99

?12.99?12.99
Subtotal?65.93

<TD align=middle rowSpan=NETQUOTEVAR:REMOVEROWSPAN>
Total?65.93
[/TD]

I aslo have autoglym glass cleaner and megs deatiling spray and clay and wheel cleaner and wax and tyre gel.

Are the products ive chosen any good or can somebody recommend me a complete set from wash to finish and the best methods or cloths etc to use.

Many thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Sorry to jump in on your thread mate but the advice im after is very similar to that you seek.

Im new to this detailing stuff and i want to get some decent products to restore my car when the weather is better.

Ive found these so far

DESCRIPTIONQtyPRICECOSTREMOVE

?5.99?5.99

?9.99?9.99

?7.99?7.99

?7.99?7.99

?7.99?7.99

?12.99?12.99

?12.99?12.99
Subtotal?65.93

<TD align=middle rowSpan=NETQUOTEVAR:REMOVEROWSPAN>
Total?65.93
[/TD]

I aslo have autoglym glass cleaner and megs deatiling spray and clay and wheel cleaner and wax and tyre gel.

Are the products ive chosen any good or can somebody recommend me a complete set from wash to finish and the best methods or cloths etc to use.

Many thanks in advance
That's all good stuff you've got there mate, you won't go far wrong there. One thing I would say is you seem to have two waxes there ? The gold class clear coat and the deep crystal. As you've bought the other two parts of the three stage deep crystal, you may as well ditch the gold class. That's what I would do anyway ! So, you can knock thirteen quid off that price there and roberts ya mothers brother [;)]

Also, if your gonna get it from anywhere, I can very highly recommend www.seriousperformance.co.uk Tell alex your a member on here and you get a small discount too. His service is second to none, i've never had a problem at all, very quick indeed [Y]

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Also get yourself plenty of microfibre cloths for apply products and removing them! After using them you'll wonder how you could have used t-shirts!! [lol]
Ditto that point ! You can never have enough mf's !

·
Registered
602 Posts
Cheers tylerama i was thinking that the 3stage system would only be used once every couple of months for a big detail and the other wax for weekly or should i be using the 3stage system monthly and just washing weekly.

The only thing about serious performance is paying by cheque tho, i prefer to use credit cards or paypal does he accept these over the phone?

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
The only thing about serious performance is paying by cheque tho, i prefer to use credit cards or paypal does he accept these over the phone?
Alex now takes payment by PAYPAL, but you will only get 6.5% discount (PP Fees @3.5%) by paying this way.

Drop him an email & he'll sort all the details out for you.

& remember, its sent post free [Y]

·
Registered
602 Posts
Cheers Jace had a look at the website, now im even more confused theres so much more to choose from on there. What do i need

Shampoo

Polish

Wax

Handglaze

Wash mitt

Applicators

Towels

Flexiblade

Shammy leather

Oh dear oh dear my poor head is spinning

·
Registered
602 Posts
Whoah theres loads of info on there, i'll start buying some products and hopefully have a decent detailing session in a few weeks then. hope i can get my car all nice and shiney.

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
I was a newbie to this not long back, my searching pointed me to get these products and routine:

Twice a year

1. Wash with the 2 bucket method with a lamb wool wash mit and Meguiars NXT shampoo
  2. Rinse
  3. Clay whole car with Meguiars clay and quick detailer
  4. Wash again rinse again as in 1. and 2.
  5. Dry with hydra blade (personal preference) and chamois leather
  6. Polish with mild cutting polish (I used Autoglym Super Resin Polish as I already had some)
  7. Two coats of Meguiars NXT tech wax (this stuff is amazing)(leave each coat to dry for 30mins before buffing off)
  8. Final coat of P21s Carnuaba wax

Weekly/Bi weekly wash

1. Wash with the 2 bucket method with a lambs wool wash mit and Meguiars NXT Shampoo
  2. Rinse
  3. Dry with hydra blade and chamois leather
  4. Two coats of Meguiars NXT tech wax (leaving each coat to dry for 30mins before buffing off)
  5. Final coat of P21s Carnuaba Wax

If short on time, skip step 4.

As said before get some microfibre cloths, you cant beat them, get a couple of decent (Meguiars) ones for removing wax/polish and some cheaper ones from Tescos for doing door shuts, windows etc. Also apply all polish/wax with Meguiars foam applicator pads, you will be amazed at how far they make a tiny blob of polish/wax go.

I also cannot recommend Alex at seriousperformance highly enough, this guy is a legend! Buy your stuff from him (or Halfrauds if you are in a hurry for Meguiars stuff)

After all this, stand back and admire.

I can't stop looking at mine!

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Cheers tylerama i was thinking that the 3stage system would only be used once every couple of months for a big detail and the other wax for weekly or should i be using the 3stage system monthly and just washing weekly.

He also does bank transfer too. I have a quick link in my account online to alex's account ! [:$]

·
Registered
518 Posts
30 mins drying time per coat of wax before buffing off?!?! - [:O]

You must have arms of steel if you can do that on a hot day with P21S!

Decent routine tho mate [Y]

·
2,166 Posts
30 mins drying time per coat of wax before buffing off?!?! - [:O]

You must have arms of steel if you can do that on a hot day with P21S!

Decent routine tho mate [Y]
Thats for the NXT this time of year!

P21s stays on for about 5 minutes.

I haven't managed to apply any of these in temperatures over 8 degrees yet so I am thinking come the summer (pleeeease) it will be a case of wax on wax off!

·
Registered
518 Posts
The Karate Kid routine!

Bad memories of the summer. Applied some P21 and kinda left an area to bask in the sun. - Took ages to get it off!

How's the detailing going now Garfie?

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I always use two wash mitts one for the top half and one for the bottom half and recently since ive got my new car have been using a waffle weave from www.erazer.co.uk which are so good i cant rate them enough so much better than a leather, there so absorbent. I always had to go around the car twice with a leather to get it dry but now once over and its perfect!

·
2,166 Posts
How's the detailing going now Garfie?
Great thanks mate, thanks to all you guys on here and www.detailingworld.co.uk for the pointers.

I never appreciated what shiney was until I got 2 coats of NXT and a coat of P21s on. Got to get my pics updated now the beast is even shinier!

I also had a trial of Poorboys Yellow Moose wax from Alex which I put on before the P21s. I was impressed and it did seem to enhance the red a little, apparantly it is a glaze more than a wax. I have also had a go with some 3M Hand Glaze prior to the NXT, this seems to help with filling the fine swirl marks.

As for these waffle cloths, i've been tempted but so far have still stick with the good old chamois. The hydrablade is only really useful for the roof and bonnet IMO prior to chamoising. One bit that really jars me off is the water that collects along the bottom edge of the cut outs for the grills in the front bumper. Ive started drying them with a bit of tissue before waxing but water still seems to appear from there [:mad:] As for the water trapped under the mirror bases and side repeaters I have found a short sharp blow seems to push that out. Any tips for getting the rest out?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts