Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my name is Ashley I have joined in the last few days as I have just purchased a MKIV GTI PD Anniversary. I have always owned VAG cars, started with a MKIV Polo 1.4 16v, moved onto A3 1.8T and latterly an S3 (God that was good!) I have recently moved jobs and house so economy is now the name of the game, the S3 had to go! I had to find another car with presence, I dont think there is a better car on the road today which offers the mix of great looks, power and ecomony than the MKIV Anni!!

Anyway, I will upload some pics in the near future if I can work out how to do it!! and will hopefully be attending the meet next month, if I can get time off!

I would be interested to hear from anyone on anything really, especially those from in and around west Wiltshire (Warminster, Westbury, Trowbridge)!

Look forward to meeting everyone at some point!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Welcome to the forum mate ,yes the anni is one of the best as an all round package but that depends also on what is meant by the best in relation to economy versus performance? Diesil v's Petrol and so on...........lol look forward to the pics mate.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your comment! I was beginning to think nobody wanted to speak to me!!

I understand about the Diesel/Petrol deabte, I meant to put Diesel at the end of my Anni 'Big-Up' to quantify it.

I am a copmplete novice on the modding scene, I would like to learn about what can and cant be done to cars, especially diesels, I'm more into subtle mods not neccessarily putting R32 bumpers on and smoothing in M3 vents etc, but I am always interested to know what others do to their cars!

Are you going to the Mega meet?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Not sure if i'm going to the mega meet as i will be up at E38 the weekend B4, but dependant on the weather i might come up on the day.

If you are looking to mod a Diesel the biggest difference i noticed apart from wheels and suspension, is straight through de-cat exhaust (Miltek) and a re-map i went for a revo and now putting out approx 175bhp and 288ibs of torque....i agree subtle mods all the way.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is that a BMW meet?

what sort of money are we talking for a miltek exhaust and a revo re-map?! Is a re-map different to a superchip?

What does that do for fuel economy?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[URL=http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l220/ashleywain/DSC00548.jpg/]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l220/ashleywain/DSC00548.jpg/[/URL][img]

trying to put a pic on for the first time, bare with me!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[imghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l220/ashleywain/DSC00548.jpg/img]

if at first you dont succeed.........!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Posted Image

Hoorah! 3rd Time lucky, more will follow. Anyone got any ideas how to put pics within my control panel albums area?! I am strugglin!!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Hi Ashley

Nice to see another Anni owner in Wiltshire!

I was beginning to get a bit lonely! lol Thougt I was the only Anni owner in these parts!(I live near Swindon).

Have you managed to keep the worm at bay!

Here's mine

Cheers Simon

GTi TDi Anniversary 1396

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi,

Yeah, me too. One of my mates has got a Petrol 180 Anni in Warminster but I dont think he is too interested in Forums etc, I will try and recruit him, someone to go to meets with etc!! Are you going to the mega meet?

I love the black Anni's, I couldnt find one within about 200 miles of me with any less than about 70k on the clock, too many for me. I am chuffed with my silver one though!

I notice you have got your Anni number on the bottom of your signature, I dont know what number mine is yet! The dealer is getting me a plaque as the original owner from new didnt bother to ask for it!!

Apologies for my ignornace, what is the worm?

Cheers

Ashley.

·
Registered
521 Posts
E38 - Edition 38 vw meet at Billing or there abouts, re-map will cost in the region of £500 and the exhaust depends on what you settle for , ie back box, cat back system or full system but i would have thought £400-£600, .....hope that helps, check out group buys and the revo website for actual prices and specs

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, something I will have to consider for sure! Probably after a quick phone call to the insurers!!!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Hi Ashley

The original factory BBS RC were lacquered over the burnished alloy.

If the alloy got stone chipped, kerbed or even the weather, caused water to get underneath the lacquer and cause a white worming effect.

Vw would change the wheels for a set of silver painted alloys.

IMO changing the original appearence of the car.

Just in case you don't know Vw are now recommending Cam belt/tensioners(waterpump) changes on 4 year old cars or 60k which ever comes first.Just a thought as most anni's are now nearing 4 yrs old.

Mines booked in next week for its 40k service and cambelt Ouch!

Cheers Simon

GTi TDi Anniversary 1396

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Hi Ashley,

im from devizes, so close enough, no anni tho boring black 1.8T. im always around trowbridge/westbury area, and drive into bath everyday, soo im all over the place. If i had more money when buying mine i would gone the anni route, but im happy with mine for the moment. good to see there are people from wiltshire on this forum, though i was the only one! [:)]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi, thanks for the info.

Mine have already been changed under warranty by the dealer I bought the car from. Whats IMO?

The dealer also changed the cam belt @ 39k for me in preparation for when I bought the car. I know it aint cheap if you have to pay for it, I had my S3 done just beofr ei chopped it in that cost me £400!

I will shortly be able to tell everyone what number Anni mine is, my dealer has been able to track it down from VW!! Hooray! Anyone got any tips on mounting the Ltd Ed plaque, I dont want it to fall off!!

Cheers,

Ashley.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi F00by!

There seems to be a few people from Wilts here in fact so maybe for once we arent loners from the back of beyond!!

Nothing wrong with a 1.8T!! Its what you do with it/to it! Its all down to personal taste (and finance!)

Ill look out for you, I do a lot of running aropund the area too!

Are you going to the Mega meet? I am still wrangling to get time off!

Cheers,

Ashley.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Hi,

i havnt seen many around, to be honest, but i spose there must be!

and yeah all personal taste, i always wanted black tbh, and insurance is a little above what im prepared to pay for an anni, and thought about going, but not really decided yet.

should go up to salisbury plain, on the track near urchfont, some good views up there take some pictures!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, we are out there!

I know what you mean, I am paying the same for a diesel Golf as I was for my S3 and the golf is even more on the excess!!

I live in Bratton, very close so I will have to explore the area more!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts