Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right I have a mk5 se 105 which as you know comes with 15inch wheels. its handling is appalling on these tyres 195 65, yes65!! Now the company will pay for tyres as they're not a part of the lease agreement so I'd like to take the oppotunity to increase the wheel size, not massive as I'm sure the company would go mad at the cost of anything larger then 17inch. I've had a look at the old web, loads of sh!t looking wheels - I would like something from the vw audi range, ideally the 2.0 16's would be fine because I can get a better range of tyres in the 60 profile (i guess that the size for the 16;s). But where should I get them from - I could go a package deal if the tyres were invoiced seperately. or i could get some s/h ones. Online there seems to be some many available, but I see there a difference in PCD's what are the Mk5's?? Any ideas? any got their 2.0 16inch for sale?

help[?]

rich

·
Registered
144 Posts
The mk5 PCD is 5x112 whereas the mk4 is 5x100.

I think the 16's on the GT models come with 205/55/16 but don't quote me on that.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Quote: posted by VWMichael on 15/04/2005 22:04:52

I think the 16's on the GT models come with 205/55/16 but don't quote me on that.

couldnt resist sorry

·
Registered
692 Posts

CORRECT!

·
Registered
201 Posts
why is the handling 'poo poo'? smaller wheels often improve handling,grip and traction may improve for the more higher powered cars,but i really doubt you will notice any improvement in handling

the car will look better though

·
Registered
104 Posts
Picked up a new MK V GT TDI on Thursday. As soon as Foxys' group buy for BBS wheels comes off I will have a set of 4 x 16" with tyres for sale. Don't know the name of the alloys but it is whatever they come with as standard. They will probably have about 500 miles on by then. Let me know if that appeals.

Keith

·
Registered
144 Posts
Quote: posted by KeithM on 16/04/2005 08:33:15

Don't know the name of the alloys but it is whatever they come with as standard.

Keith

They will be Imola's

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok kieth send me a PM. not always on this forum but would be interested sure, I will swap fronts to rears, but I may still have to change 2 tyres. SupermarioDave - smaller wheel improve handling? not sure about that but lower profile tyre certainly do, and thats what I'm after, but need to maintain the same rolling circumference, so need larger wheels, but of course not 19's.

rich

·
Registered
201 Posts
Lower profile tyres might improve handling,they normally do,by making the car more stable at high speed when cornering,(less side wall flex),but ride quality is nearly always the trade off.The car can also tramline and catch every bump in the road.I know a few chaps who never dream of going up in size,the handling goes to pot and you are in understeer heaven.

All I am sayimng is the handling is unlikely to improve.Improved grip and traction is not the same as improved handling.

The car may well be at its best on 15s,who knows! Well you be the first to post a comparison[:)]

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cheers dave, its the flexing side walls or very soft anti roll bars, the car is meant to have 'sport' suspension - perhaps vw's idea of sport was darts? I think I would like it to handle like my fiat tipo - very stiff with no roll - ride doesnt bother me, i'd rather be able to change direction. we shall see how it goes, I'm thinking the 2.0 may have a number of handling improvements over the 1.9.

rich

·
Registered
12 Posts

The Mk.V PCD is 5x112 !!! That's excellent news. That's the same as a VW Type.2 Camper van. I've been looking at which wheels to fit to the Van. I think I might go try one of our Golf wheels for a laugh! [:D]

I can confirm that GT tyres are 205/55/16, might be a tight squeeze under our van, which has 185r14 as standard!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Quote: posted by SuperMario.Dave on 16/04/2005 07:03:41

smaller wheels often improve handling,grip

Eh wider tyres means better grip when cornering and plants the car better? Surely you can understand that a car with 225 tyres will handle better than a car with 195s?

·
Registered
144 Posts
When I upgraded my wheels (from 195's to 225's) the car handled much better. As well as having more grip, it felt far more stable through the corners etc.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Quote: posted by VWMichael on 18/04/2005 15:55:59

When I upgraded my wheels (from 195's to 225's) the car handled much better. As well as having more grip, it felt far more stable through the corners etc.

Eh. Pardon! Which race track will you regularly be driving on then, such that these minutiae in grip and handling will become part of your daily driving life? I hope I'm not anywhere in the vicinity of any of you when you all try to drive off the next bend!!!

[:D]

·
Registered
643 Posts
You should have gone for the Sport version of your Tdi Rich [;)]. Comes with 16" alloys and sport suspension - I'm very happy with the ride quality. Fitted with the same tyres as the 2.0 Tdi (205/55/16).

FYI a set of 17" GTI alloys has just started on ebay...clicky

1 - 20 of 32 Posts