Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw the posts about the new VW Ipod adapter on here a little while ago and as I knew Father Christmas was dropping an Ipod Nano into my stocking I went down to my local VW Dealer to order one about 3 weeks ago. I had to pay for it up front and they said it should be in within 10 days - however it's still not arrived. Each time I speak to them, they tell me they don't have a delivery date but it should be within the next 2 weeks!!

I'm just wondering if anyone has actually ordered and received one of these yet?? Although it's on VW's screens, are the units actually in production yet? I dont mind waiting a bit, but I dont want to be waiting like 3 months!

Any comments would be gratefully accepted.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It does replace the standard CD changer if you have one. I think it can go in the centre console if you have a cover, but as I dont I'm putting mine in the Glovebox where it can't be seen. I think it's pretty much the Dension Ice Link Plus with a VW badge.

It costs ?100 and the Part No is 1K0 051 444

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'd be interested to know the answer to this one as well, perhaps 20 valve can help, believe he works at a dealership in Scotland, might be worth sending him a PM although he is usually lurking around here somewhere, otherwise Foxy seems to be the keeper of all knowledge [;)]

·
Registered
554 Posts
It does replace the standard CD changer if you have one. I think it can go in the centre console if you have a cover, but as I dont I'm putting mine in the Glovebox where it can't be seen. I think it's pretty much the Dension Ice Link Plus with a VW badge.

It costs ?100 and the Part No is 1K0 051 444
Please ignore my last post, jd2 answered all my questions [:)]

·
Registered
110 Posts
OK, no surpirse it replaces the external changer, but I wonder how it works with the RCD-500.

BTW: How do you switch source to an external CD changer? Do you hit CD twice or something?

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
How do you switch source to an external CD changer? Do you hit CD twice or something?
Exactly. The Dension IceLink connects using the external CD player inputs as does the new VW item. It would not surprise me to find that the VW item is in fact the Dension Icelink with a fancy VW faceplate bolted on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes - I think that could be the best solution. I only went for the VW item as it was slightly cheaper (at ?100) and if I could get one within the time quoted by the VW parts department, seemed to be the best solution. If it is going to be a case of waiting months, I will simply get the Dension.

Anyone had any experience of the Dension with an Ipod Nano on the MFD2?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have MFD2 and Dension Icelink connected to a 3G iPod. Before MFD2, I have the RCD500, me and a few of my buddies confirmed that the Icelink on MFD2 sounded a few notches better than when it is on RCD500.

We also had the new iPod Video (which should perform similarly audio wise as the Nano) and it sounded great.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Does it really replace the 6-CD changer? I kind've like the idea of having both... seeing as I paid through the teeth for it in the first place!!!
If you want to keep your CD changer, then you could always go for the Dension ICE>Link FM and hook up your iPod through the tuner.

http://www.cooltopia.com/product.php?xProd=6276&xSec=50&jssCart=29966453a6eb0953c2b32bbd1cfb273c

Have seen very good reports for this, but have no personal experience. I saw a thread a while back, maybe in MkIV ICE section, where someone had done this - maybe worth a search.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I thought you could get and adapter that allowed two inputs to the aux socket at the back of the stereo, thus allowing you to keep the cd changer and connect an ipod? could be mistaken though - heads not too clear this morning.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The iPod kits we're referring to connect to the headunit through the CD Changer connection as this provides switched power and allows basic control of the iPod from the stereos controls. You could simply connect the iPod through the aux input and this would allow you to maintain the CD changer and would provide better quality that the radio-based solutions. However, as I don't have a CD changer, the Dension kit is the best solution.

Can I assume by the lack of response that no one actually has the VW item yet?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Phoned up the dealer today to cancel my order and get the Dension Ice Link Plus instead.  The dealer called me back to say that it had just arrived in the country and would be there for collection within the next week.  I'll update you if it actually arrives.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
To my complete surprise, I had a telephone call at 9 O'Clock this morning, from the parts department at Beadles Dartford, to let me know that my iPod Adapter had arrived. I went to collect it at lunch time, and it looks spot on (I've attached a pic below). It was ordered on 13/12/05 and bearing in mind all of the holidays we have had in between, I think it has arrived in OK time. My only concern before was that they item didn't yet exist and would never arrive as there was never any stock figures on VWs system.

Anyway, its being fitted on Tuesday, so I'll update you on how it works then.

Posted Image

1 - 20 of 105 Posts