Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

im new to here, just bought my first vdub at the weekend. Some of you may recognise it from on here, bought a jazz blue V5 from a member called sootpig. Am impressed with the car so far apart from a slight knockin noise from the front and a clicking noise when turning the wheel, and of course the poor fuel consumption which is something i need to get used to!

Jamie

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers

the local petrol station is gona love me, gna be in there everyday with gettin a mere 18mpg on average.

Is there any local members from around essex here

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers seems well looked after and the guy seemed like it was his pride and joy.

dont suppose anyone has an idea of what the knocking/ clicking is so i can check it when im free?

·
Adrian
4,149 Posts
Welcome to the forums

Glad to hear you're enjoying the car. Mpg will rise once you get over the noise (which is hard to do)

The clicking noise happened after i installed the cruise control, it's the slip ring, but it worked fine, and i just got used to it after a while.

As for the knock, the coilover nut might have worked loose, which is a pain. If you fancy a job, they'll need stripping and the nut tightened or a shim added. I thought i had everything sorted, but perhaps not.

Anyway, that asside, welcome along. If you need help with anything you know where to find me

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers mate, am enjoying driving it atm and does sound lovely when the revs pick up ?? soo nice to not hav a loud exhaust and not go deaf on the motorway!

thought the clicking was to do with that, can only hear when the radio is off anyways so im not bothered.where abouts is the nut that needs tightening might hav a go at it at the weekend. Also are the rears adjustable for damping or is it just ride height?

·
Adrian
4,149 Posts
The nut is at the top of the strut body, in the middle of the coilover. you've have to remove the disassemble the coilover units to get to it. This nut:

that goes in here:

And yes, the rear dampers are adjustable, you have to remove the damper unit, take the top mount off, then you push the damper all the way in, and you'll feel it 'click' into groves, then you can tighten it to stiffen, and loosen it to soften. If i remember rightly, i set them to about 1 turn from fully soft. So you could adjust in either direction.

If you want to have a go at the coilovers, have a read through this guide, it's very useful.

·
#teamGIMP
464 Posts
Oooh another 20v :)

Get used to filling it. I bought mine as a daily, doing 350 miles a week. I get about 29mpg out of mine, but it still drinks £80 a week. A good service and a pipercross filter helps a little.

Enjoy her

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheers for that mate i shall have a go at the weekend if i get time.

Cheers guys, i love the v5 engine has soo much low down power with a smooth delivery and sounds amazing too! Ive always loved the mkiv golfs, so glad i finally bought one.

Is there ever any local meets organised on here, im quite new to this forum so dont really know my way around it, would be nice to see other peoples cars in the flesh

·
#teamGIMP
464 Posts
Im not local so we might only see each other at larger meets, but here is a tip for you anyways,

The V5 does indeed have great low down power, so much so that on a really quick launch, i find myself fighting the ASC as it backs the power off. Turn it off and practice launching quickly but smoothly (on your private race track of course ;)) and you'll find it even quicker.

Hold at 3k revs, clutch just below biting, hold button in on handbrake and hold it up far enough to hold the car from pulling away. When ready, bring the clutch up and drop the handbrake at the same time, and hit the loud pedal. Practice makes perfect. Once you have it in one fluid motion you'll be suprised what you can beat off the line.....

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
might have to try this little tip later on my private racetrack, gotta love having a private racetrack haha

havent had a chance to turn the traction control off yet, have only felt it kick in a couple times with some fast cornering though

what larger meets are there to go to, quite new to the vdub scene have owned a saxo for the past 2 years so have been in the french scene instead.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
im pretty skint this month now after borrowing £1200 to get the car and insure it and dont get paid till the 26th. need to save what little money i have for next weekend as my good mate is hopefully racing at snetterton if he can get his car built up in time.

will definatly be attending shows this year though as long as they dont clash with his races

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
no major plans really, been thinkin of gettin a carbon wrapped grill and badge for the front and possibly putting a spoiler on. will be getting a remap one day once ive got a spare bit of cash aswell. most of the important bits have already been done to it anyway so not much more for me to do apart from tidy little bits up on it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.