Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
I have never had Pirelli, so cant comment on them...but have you tried 'Camskill'?

They are often the cheapest place for tyres...

Scrap that, just had a look, seems your find is cheaper [y]

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the yoko s306 atm Bobby. Id say average grip not that ive raced em. Wear seems to be top notch though. Ive done 10k since ive owned the car and they dont seem to have worn much at all. They were on the car when I bought it so cant say how much milage they covered before but they look old and still have between 4-5mm tread.

Ive just googled them and the reviews say people are scared of driving when it rains thinking they will slide off the road at 20mph, although I wouldnt say there amazing in the wet they still work?

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Mr Wigster loves the Uniroyals...but again I cant comment.

I used to have Yoko's on my old car (circa 4 years ago) and they were okay, I also ran some Toyo's that were again fine...but that was not a Golf.

Mum now has Falkens on her A3 (TDi) and has no complaints (18" Alloys), plus the pricing was (is?) very good.

The GF has Continentals on her Polo (1.8T) and has no complaints, I quite like them...although she is running 16" alloys.

My Anni came with Michelin PS' although they were changed within a few weeks as the tread was quite low. I then had Goodyear F1's and thought they were good...although they wore out too quickly. I am now running Michelin PS2's and think they are very good...a bit better than the Goodyears, but with about a 25% higher price tag. Apparently the new PS3's are suppose to be VERY good, but again you have that hefty price tag.

I did talk to someone with a TDi Anni (TSL_Wales IIRC) who was running Goodyear F1 Assymetrics on his car and liked them a lot, however they were bald within 6k miles or so!!!

I have seen a few good reviews on the 'Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's'...Beyond that I dont have too much else to offer with regards to experience.

TBH when I look for new tyres I just go for a decent known brand, that you can find a good deal on....

·
Registered
135 Posts
try and get some bridgestone potenzas, best tyres i have ever had, lovely tread, nice sidewalls, excellent grip bothe in the wet and dry and quiet ride, can not fault, i have tried p zeros, pants in the wet i thought, continental are quality too but qite pricey. You have any part worn centres near you??

Normally have brilliant tyres at great prices and dont be put off because the tyres are fine, they have been shipped from Germany because their laws are different ands require more tread.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I've seen a few good reviews on Falken FK452s and they are well priced.

I had Uniroyal Rainsport II's on a previous car and they were excellent tyres, huge amount of grip in the wet and decent in dry conditions.

Goodyear F1s are awesome wet or dry but are £110ish per tyre for 225/40/18 and they do wear very quickly.

·
Registered
11,013 Posts
I personally avoid Pirelli at all costs. When I have used them in the past (including P Zero), they have worn quickly and not gripped well. I now use Uniroyal Rainsport 2 which cost around the same and wear considerably better as well as providing the all important grip improvement I was looking for. [Y]

Wigster.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not too sure Bobby, have a look on Camskill.

The chances are the place in Macc is "all new tyres" I called in last saturday to see how much they could do them for but they were shut! on a saturday.... whats the world coming too! TBH dont think they could do them at the same price as Camskill, seems very cheap. Think the (XL) extra load are the ones to get.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.