Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right guys and gals

Need two fronts as they're getting low and i'm getting alot of spin in the twisties off the mark and on turn. I'm gonna replace the rears as well and get the lot tracked and camber checked at the same time as i'm getting a reasonable amount of wallow, although they're all wearing even.
Have had a look on blackcircles and there are literally loads of *best* tyres listed.
Ideas and reviews would be very welcome.

Size 205/55/R16

·
Registered
194 Posts
I've used F1's and they were great for grip, but bad for wear. Very soft compound.

Personally, I like Pirelli, and have had P-Zero Nero and P6000's. Both very good tyres.

Steer (get it [:D]) clear of Michelin Primacy Pilots cause they're pants.

I've had Continental Sport Contacts on my Mk3 too, which were very good wet and dry, till they wore about 50%, then they were very poor in the wet.

Hope this helps......

·
Registered
659 Posts
Another vote for Eagle F1s. They may not be the hardest wearing of tyres, but the grip levels are fantastic.

You might not get as many miles out of them as you would a set of Michelins, but you'll find going round corners a lot more fun!

Besides, at only ?63 each including VAT + delivery from MyTyres for 205/55/R16s (Michelin Pilots are more like ?80) it's not exactly the end of the world if they don't last too long.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Don't think that's a fair account to be honest. Pilot Primacy is a harder compound tyre designed for people doing loads of miles - that's not to say they're pants, they're just not going to perform as well as a softer compound tyre on twisties.

I've got a set of Primacys on the car but that's because I do over 20k miles a year and don't fancy a new set of typres every 6-12 months really.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I've used F1's and they were great for grip, but bad for wear. Very soft compound.

Personally, I like Pirelli, and have had P-Zero Nero and P6000's. Both very good tyres.

I've had Continental Sport Contacts on my Mk3 too, which were very good wet and dry, till they wore about 50%, then they were very poor in the wet.

Hope this helps......
Avoid Pirelli P6000 from my experiences!! Had them on my GTI-6 and they were a shambles in the wet!! Nero are much better but the best are Bridgestone so3's and Goodyear f1 eagle gsd-3

I have AVON ZZ3's at the moment came new on the car (fitted by previous owner) and at first wasn't that impressed as I had read bad things about them but to be honest I hadn't really given them a chance, the more I drive on them the more I think they are pretty good, the ride is very smooth on them, dry grip is v good wet grip is good too! Can't really complain about them they seem to be very hard wearing too! I have lit up the tyres in second & third a lot in the last 5 weeks I have owned it and the tyres still look like new! and they are nearing 5 mnts old!!

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Good Year Eagle F1's are the official tyre of the mk4 [Y]

I'm on my 2nd set now & wont ever change, unless the stop making them of course.

Milage wise they arent the hardest wearing tyres, you may get 15k out of a set, if your lucky, saying that my current fronts have done 11k & still have about 2mm to go before they hit the wear markers .

·
Registered
6 Posts
another one for f1's, changed from pirelli p6000's on my a3 tsport and instantly found more traction. live amongst really bendy hilly valley's in south wales and f1's are great. will be trying on the mk4 tdi soon, though i fear they'll wear even quicker due to weight. but rather change more often than end up on the side of a mountain, which i nearly did last year in the audi due to pirelli's , and maybe going a bit quick!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ive got F1s on mine, there are decent tyres in the dry and wet but i must admit i did expect them to last a LOT longer they they have, my fronts lasted 6months and are now on the wear indicators. Think i paid around the ?60 mark for them. I may look for some slightly harder wearing ones next time as i want them to last a little longer than that. Mind you they have been driven quite well to test them out :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Goodyear F1's get my vote too, feel and grip is fantastic.............I'd rather have a slightly faster wearing tyre that really holds the road when I need it to, than a tyre thats going to let me down.

Tyres, like most things, will only wear much faster if pushed all the time-I can be a bit of a 'old man driver' trying to beat my MPG record of 68.9 on B roads for 15miles-but if I'm in the mood I take the tyres to their limits. Not driving like my arse is on fire all the time saves the tread and money, best of both worlds.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Ive got F1s on mine, there are decent tyres in the dry and wet but i must admit i did expect them to last a LOT longer they they have, my fronts lasted 6months and are now on the wear indicators. Think i paid around the ?60 mark for them. I may look for some slightly harder wearing ones next time as i want them to last a little longer than that. Mind you they have been driven quite well to test them out :)
How many miles have you done in the 6 months?

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have Goodyear F1s too, but on my RX8. Although they offer good grip in the dry, I find they only offer marginally more wet weather grip than my original Bridgestones. They also need a bit of heat in them to give their best.

I have Yokohama DBS V550 on our Golf (205/55/16) and they are excellent. They are very quiet, ride and grip very well in all conditions. They are having to work hard as the GTi suspension is isn't the best sorted, dynamically.

The V550 worked out to be ?65 each, fitted.

AnilS.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Don't think that's a fair account to be honest. Pilot Primacy is a harder compound tyre designed for people doing loads of miles - that's not to say they're pants, they're just not going to perform as well as a softer compound tyre on twisties.

I've got a set of Primacys on the car but that's because I do over 20k miles a year and don't fancy a new set of typres every 6-12 months really.
Just one's opinion, which is what was asked for after all............................[:p]

·
Registered
646 Posts
One thing I will say about the Avon ZZ3's I have at the moment is that they seem to be lasting forever grip is pretty poor especially in the wet but........im forever lighting the tyres up in 2nd and 3rd and they still look like new and have been on for 6 months and about 6k miles must be a very hard compound tyre hence longetivity and poor grip!.......I will be moving to F1 Eagles as my Golf needs all the help it can get when powering in and out of corners and after having F1's on my Nissan 200sx (300bhp) they were the only tyre that could keep it on the road and stopped the back end twitching under the lightest of throttle in the wet corners

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I have Continental Sport Contacts and Goodyear Eagle F1's.

The Continentals are great tyres. The Eagles are better than the Continentals in the wet and dry but an absolute shambles in the snow, hence the reason they are still on the rear and my fronts are close to needing renewed. I think I will try Michelin next time to be honest as I need all season tyres.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts