Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a pair of toyo tsr1's (more or less the same as goodyear eagle f1's) and had them fitted. (£180)

I noticed the steering felt very strange since i had a few steering/wheel related bits replaced on my 60k service last week.

The car felt as if it wanted to go one way and then the other way whislt driving on even the smoothest road..... very un-nerving

Whilst i was there i asked them to check the tracking. Turns out my tracking was 15 degree's out. (think thats alot[:|])

The car now drives like it should. I cant beleive how much front end grip there is compared to before, and i swear it seems to accelerate faster than before (could be in my head though).

So if your golf feels like its got a twitchy front end get you tracking checked out.... it will make loads of difference.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the guy said my tracking was out by alot but didnt give me any indication as to how many degree's the norm is when a cars tracking is out.

I assume 15 degree's is quite alot then ?

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
when mine was last done, it was 2 degrees out and that made my tyres bald on the inner edges within 16K. 15 degrees out ? [:O] - I'm surprised your tyres last more than a few months....

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Did u all go for just front wheel or a 4 wheel alignment?

I had my m8 adjust it at one of the Kwik-Fits, he put the gauges on all 4 wheels but it still feels like it pulls to the left on certain roads, but more often than not, there is a place in Cambridge that does it digitally or something but im sure its about £40 to check and even more to adjust!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts

I had my m8 adjust it at one of the Kwik-Fits, he put the gauges on all 4 wheels but it still feels like it pulls to the left on certain roads, but more often than not, there is a place in Cambridge that does it digitally or something but im sure its about £40 to check and even more to adjust!
I got 4 wheel laser. The guy was nice enough to explain why I should get it on a front drive car. He said that with 4 wheel tracking they take into account of the rear wheels relative position trying to reduce 'thrust'. So the front and rear are more in line - it does steer more accuratly. I got mine done for £28

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
15 degrees !!!  Holy cow batman !  I remember reading (somewhere, I forget where so don't ask me !) that for every degree your tracking is out by, over one mile, the tyre is being dragged sideways by one metre.  So therefore, for every mile you drove, the tyre was being dragged sideways by fifteen metres.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts

I got 4 wheel laser. The guy was nice enough to explain why I should get it on a front drive car. He said that with 4 wheel tracking they take into account of the rear wheels relative position trying to reduce 'thrust'. So the front and rear are more in line - it does steer more accuratly. I got mine done for £28
£28 ? Was that just the bare bones check ? Cos that is uber cheap for a four wheel alignment !

·
Registered
2,066 Posts

£28 ? Was that just the bare bones check ? Cos that is uber cheap for a four wheel alignment !
Yeah it a check and adjustment, was at ATS in Reading. I'm not sure if it was a mega accurate machine but for that money it was worth it. Its £22 if you buy tyres from them. At that sort of price it was a no brainer.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts

Yeah it a check and adjustment, was at ATS in Reading. I'm not sure if it was a mega accurate machine but for that money it was worth it. Its £22 if you buy tyres from them. At that sort of price it was a no brainer.
I bet that was just tracking and not a full four wheel alignment, but lets hope it was cos if so, you got a good price !

·
Registered
2,003 Posts

Is that the one near the Morrisons at Rose Kiln Lane?

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
It's best if they can give a printed report to show what was wrong and what was actually corrected. 20 odd quid does sound mega cheap for doing the measurements and adjustments for all four wheels.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
I had 4 wheel laser alignment for £22 in Guildford abt 2 months back...
Huh ? Well one of us is being shafted cos i've paid £70 at an independent garage for a full four wheel alignment (Including an hours worth of work to free up subframes etc), that includes a print out showing the correction amounts and thrust alignment etc. Either your only getting a tracking for that or i'm being ripped off. Still, mine was in june 04 when I had that done.. Hmm !

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
(Including an hours worth of work to free up subframes etc
Exactly. That's how some of the parameters are adjusted on the MkIV. The MkV is even trickier to adjust with its multi-link rear axle...

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
I must admit that I'm not happy with it though - the outer edges on the fronts are getting a bit of a shine on them already ( they've done 8K ).. Be a right bugger if I have to replace them [;)]

1 - 20 of 32 Posts