Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, will say hello all lol

Now to the meat of it, we've recently purchased a black on black heated-leather AUM Mk4 that's had some pretty extensive mods already done. Fella we purchased off hasn't dug out any reciepts/dyno sheets yet but for the price not really complaining, claimed 270bhp although I'm gonna say the dyno was questionable on that as it's only got a K03s.

AFAIK the engine mod list is pretty much- FMIC, silicone hoses, hard lines, random unbranded billet BPV, 3" or maybe 3.5" turbo back stainless decat, fuel pump, presumably regulator, CAI & a replacement ECU with dual maps on the TC button (told TC on =180/TC off =270, fitted a boost gauge and on the low map it pushes 12-15psi, high map more like 28psi). Also have what we are told is the original unmodded ECU although haven't tried it yet.

Anyway, first thing I'm wondering if anyone knows of this car/it's history at all? Reg RA02 FPF will post pics when I can get them on laptop, as said it's black on black, with polished staggered BBS on black dishes, for some reason has a Darkside sticker on the tailgate lol. Was from around West Mids area. Just after a bit more info on it if anyone knows it?

Secondly, are the cast alloy coolant flange kits off ebay any good? The 16 quid cheapies that look to be sandcast from original parts... We just had what I presume was a cooling fan failure at maccies drive-thru, temp approaching 120c as we limped it out & as we parked up to cool off the original plastic water dizzy pipe gave up with a pop, spewing superheated steam everywhere & making the air taste sweet! Managed to bodge it up enough to get home & filled with water after it'd cooled off for an hour or so & it's now sat outside waiting for parts to arrive lol.

Anyhoo sorry about the huge essay as a first post, but would appreciate feedback on what coolant flange upgrades to go with and any info on the car itself. Cheers, Dan.

·
Registered
2002 MK4 1.8t GTi AUM
45 Posts
Welcome, new here myself.

A good lot of knowledge in the sections, I have just bought a project and have ordered the same alloy pipework. there is a thread about fan issues which is worth a read.
As I was told for help on issues your better to post on the relevant section and members with the knowhow will help you out I'm sure.
only thing i would suggest if you are new to modified turbo cars is that the car will have been mapped on Shell V-power or Tesco Momentum 99 petrol so your kind of stuck with it as running normal petrol the car will detect knock and pull back power to keep the engine safe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers, new to VW but definitely not tuned turbo petrol or diesels ;) Yes, she only runs on 99, guy we bought it from used 95 in a pinch and regretted it! Will possibly be looking at mapping work in the future as it's not ideal from a cold start currently, they've got it a bit rich until it hits 60c or so IMO . Will search up fan issues & see what's what, going to wait until it's watertight again before trying too hard to diagnose as (beyond checking fuses intact and fans free) I want to run it up to temperature and double check both sides of the CTS still agree over 90c.

Have a feeling it's a wiring issue to be honest since the revs dipped momentarily like there was a big load on the alt.for a couple of seconds (that's what drew attention to the gauges) and it wasn't running with the AC either when I checked so possibly chafed a wire and popped the fuse. Time will tell, alloy coolant housings due tomorrow so fingers crossed the weather allows playtime.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the fan issue was almost the textbook failure. On reading up & inspecting, the 30A fuse was melty and charred on the output end and was making intermittent contact. Removed and dismantled the fusebox to clean the connectors & reassembled with a new fuse (original not blown but had been HOT). After doing this, the fans both work on low and high speeds...

Is it possible the resistors could be partially failed and open only when they get warm I wonder? Not had a chance to run the car much but will be keeping an eye on the OBD2 reader for the forseeable when we do, since the instrument cluster is so wildly inaccurate. Presume they "engineered" the gauge to read dead on 90 anywhere between about 75 and 110 to stop inexpert owners panicking when the temps rose in certain conditions? Rubbish idea TBH I want the gauge to BE a gauge not an idiot pointer & may well be adding a proper gauge in the near future (Same problem on our LR Discovery 2 as well, that needs a real gauge too. Hazard a wild guess our E46 330d is going to be the same way).

Anyway, car's survived the ordeal OK and have replaced the offending plastic union with the one from the Ebay ali set (yet to do the rest, got other jobs on & waiting till we've got time and coolant available).

As to the 270 figure, I'm sure you're right it's a bit much IMO. Does pull really nicely though. Will have to double check the gauge for accuracy but I do believe it's making 28psi (only from midrange up though & fully floored. Normal "fast road" driving I see peaks around 23-25)

Honestly no real idea still what mods are/aren't done on this car except the obvious, it could have billet rods for all I know but most likely just standard refreshed lump (odo is 170k but engine blatantly not that long in the tooth, if I had to guess based on how it looks under the bonnet I'd say it's been together for 30k or maybe less. Will try find time to get photos but don't hold your breath lol I'm not good at making time for some things!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts