Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new to this site and have been having a look around and am impressed. Very good forum with lots of information and people who know what they are talking about.

Just sold me car and have got the cash just waiting to go on to a new car......a Golf GT TDI.

Got ?4000 - ?4500 to spend on this car. I have been looking around and the only cars I can find for that sorta money have got mileage in excess of 100,000. Although this doesn't realy bother me I'm just wondering if theres any sorta problems that these cars will havein the near future.

Also, whats the maximum mileage I should be looking at when buying with my budget? (150,000 max or a bit more)

Thanks for your help

Chris

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scratch that.....after looking around here a bit more I might see if I can find a GT TDI 115bhp model

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats what I wanted to hear!

Found one last weekend that I decided that I like so am collecting next weekend.

Pictures will be posted in due course

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right.....I've got my car..its brilliant. Drive brilliantly, goes brilliant....tbh I haven't really got anything negative to say. I've got a couple questions tho:

1) The Alarm - I read in the manual that if you press the button once that it sets the alarm and activates the dead-locking system. That works fine BUT when putting the key in the ignition the alarm sounds for about 1/2 a second then turns off and the car will start with the doors still locked....is this right? Also when locking my car the indicator lights do not flash at all like when un-locking the car...is this normal?

2) How do I fit my Road Angel?

Cheers

·
Registered
175 Posts
yo Chris,

Never heard of the alarm sounding when ya put the key in. mine doesn't do it, not sure it should.

My lights pick and choose when they want to flash when i lock my car sounds like yours is the same...

cant help with the road angel, i dont have one [:(]

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm gonna quiz VW 2moro about the alarm thing see if they can shed any light on this....i'll let you know what they say Shelton.

Gotta say...loving your car, what wheels are they and what tints have you got all round? Where did you get them?

·
Registered
175 Posts
thanks ma man.

yeah let me know what they say, should think they'll rob ya tho.

the wheels are R32 OZ Aristo's, since i put them it's turned alot of heads, could be because people think it's an R32 but i prefer to think it's cus it looks smart [:D] [Y]

Originally i had 35% on back and rear and 50% on the fronts, thinking that if i went for the lightest then the cops wouldnt bother me. but i couldnt stand the look of it, looked half done, especially when the sun was shining they didnt look tinted at all so i went back and got 35% on the fronts too, just gotta dodge the snout.

Had them done in Leicester from a well respected tinter on here, called 'tinter' funnily enough from L&M Window Tinting, if you have a search on here you should find some posts because there was loads of good pics and talk about their work. and the good thing is, cheap cheap for forum members, 3dr ?100 5 door ?125 if i remember rightly... that's why i travel from peterborough to leicester [:)] just for tints!

i'll post a pic of my tints if your after one.

p.s. the signature pic is when the fronts were 50%

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I'm sure the whole flashing lights thing is related to the car not thinking it's locked - leaking in the boot lock? Or maybe a switch or something in one of the doors, fuel cap, or bonnet.

As for the alarm thing, the car starts when the doors are locked? Did you lock the car with the remote button when you were sat inside? Or did you press the lock button on the drivers door? If you press the key fob then start the engine, I expect the alarm beep is it telling you off for being in the car when it's locked!

You can set the alarm to emit a little chirp whenever you lock and unlock the car (two chirps= open, one = locked) I have this enabled as it's quicker to walk away from the car and hear it click, rather than having to look to see if the lights flash!

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
i believe you can your lights set to flash or the alarm to beep when its set via the vag computer options when it goes in for a service maybe yours are just turned off.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
That's right, but the stealers will charge you ?20 to do it. Best to get soemone (like me) with a vag com to turn it on

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Basically with the alarm...when I locked the car I was outside the car and used the keyfob button. I left the drivers window open and then leaned in and tested the various functions. The whole car does lock including dead lock because using the interior handle to open the door doesn't work and the light in the door flashes. Also I don't think the interior sensors work because I leant in to the car yesterday and it didn't gol off.

When locking the doors, I push the button once but it makes the lock (klunking) sound twice...is this normal? If I push the button twice then it only makes said noise once.

The hazard lights don't flash it all when locking the car and there are no flashing lights. Sounds like I'll have to invest in VAG COM. Where did you get yours from?

Shelton can you post a pic of your can now please so I can see the tints....also how much did you wheels set you back and did you notice a difference in performance and fuel consumption

Cheers for your help guys

·
Registered
175 Posts
yo chris,

when you dived into your open window did you leave it a few seconds? because it gives you sometime to get out of the way of the sensors...

your locking klunks sound normal...

i'll take some pics of my car at the weekend if the weathers nice, and as for the wheels they cost me about ?350, cheap cheap, got them from the for sale section on here actually....and went on a 4 hour journey to get em! not noticed anything improved tho; saying that i didnt even check!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Shelton,

Did you see anything get worse after putting those wheels on....MPG or anything like that?

Yeah I left it for about 30 seconds or so before doing anything. Someone that I work with, who is also a member on here, is gonna VAG COM my car some point this week then I'm gonna turn on the lights flashing and the chrup from the horn when arming/disarming. Then I'm gonna buy VAG COM

Chris

·
Registered
175 Posts
yo chris!

didn't notice anything getting worse, no. The grip to the road seemed better tho because golfs are quite bulky and feel top heavy when goin round corners. i cant really comment on mpg because i've had a maf sensor problem since i've had my car, i need to get a new one it's just finding the funds! - brasso, but i know that plays a big part in how much juice ya use.

the motors filthy at the minute but i've just taken some pics of my tints, check below:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Mate, I'm glad you have those chrome thingeys around your defroster vents/light swich/door handle - some of my mates (who know nothing about cars I might add!) say it looks pants. I usually just tell them to eff off!!

·
Registered
175 Posts
benje: nowt wrong with them fella, if they're good enough for TT's (i said TeeTee's not titties) then they're good enough for my little golf [:)] [Y]

John the tints are 35% all round. in my signature pic the fronts were 50% but wasn't happy, now all 35% [Y]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts