Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks. Fairly new to here, long time lurker etc etc.

But now Im after some advice! At the moment ive got a 1.0L 6N2 Polo powerhouse which I am fed up of driving as it is too dam slow!!![brick] Im 19 so insurance is cheap on the polo but after I get another years no claims insurance is going to plummet and from my research I will be able to insure a GT TDI PD130 for the same as the polo at the moment....got an old Mini for handling fun on B roads etc so looking for a reliable, sensible daily drive.

Reason Im after diesel is Im driving to Aberdeen which is 20 miles away every day so 40miles round trip. Most of this is motorway speeds but a lot of it is town driving. At the mo IM getting 40mpg max from the polo so time for a change of direction!

So ideally Im looking for a GT TDI PD130 but are there any common faults these have I need to look out for? Or is it just general stuff like corrosion etc to look for?

In the future it will be remapped as insurance continues to go down which Im told gets me a load more torque and around 40-50bhp more for not a huge amount of monies. But as I say thats all in the future :)

Cheers for reading this far and any advice or info is greatly appreciated!

360 :)

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

The GT TDI 130 is a very good car. The only real problem that I know they suffer from (other than the usual boost pipes popping off, which most Golf Diesels suffer from) is leaking intercoolers. They are side mounted on the 130's but front mounted on the 150's.

Dean

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that, will keep it in mind. Good to know theres not too much that are common faults I suppose. Any factory recalls?

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you get a PD150, try to find out if it has had its cams redone specially if it was registered in 2002.

They have problem nicknamed the 'Chocolate Cam' were the cam followers (tappets) was made too soft and they wear away on the cam and if you don't cause it in time it can bust the engine.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Dont expect much more MPG, I do a 40 mile round trip through traffic it gets 45mpg and on the motorway it hits the 50+ mark.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
True on the mapping side of things...very hard to trace I suppose!

If I get the same MPG im not too bothered. Im after something thats a bit quicker and will cost me the same if not slightly more than Im paying at the moment.

·
You ain't seen me, right?
3,778 Posts
over 50mpg nah, never, on a run yes, but everyday driving - not a chance in hell

1 - 9 of 9 Posts