Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI PEOPLE

IM NEW TO ALL THIS SO I WAS WONDERING IF U EXPERIENCED PEOPLE COULD HELP ME OUT:

CURRENTLY STUCK IN A DILEMMA, OWN A BLACK MK4 1.9 TDI GOLF.. NO ORDINARY ONE HOWEVER.. ITZ CLOCKED 170,000 MILES!

i was swinging towards the 18" a8z, but where could i get the ones that are made in italy? i have looked at the package on rochford tyres are their alloys from italy?

i havnt a clue about suspension, what exactly would i need to do lower my car? i take it ill have to replace all dampers, bushes, shocks the whole lot? what suspension kits do u lot recommend and how much does it cost incl. labour and all?

i am doing currently around 350ish miles a week, so what tyres would be appropriate to go with alloys? i was told that the toyes proxies t1-r last around 40k is this true?

budget 1000 quid max!

thanks people

adz

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm not 100% sure which wheels these are but you need tryes which have got a very good wear rate as your doing such high mileage. At the same time they need to have good grip in the wet and dry.

Toyo Proxes tend to be very very good and they aren't too expensive either.

As for suspension, alot of people tell you that you must get springs and shocks, some say go coilovers. You need to decide what your needs are.

If your just doing it for the looks and want a comfortable ride with slightly better handling then a set of good H&R or Eibach springs are the way forward. Don't go lower than 35mm with standard shocks though.

If you want significantly better handling then a Springs and Shock setup like the H&R Cup kits or Koni's are the way to go. The lower kits also come with shortened shocks to reduce the amount of suspension travel. The ride gets harder generally, all depends which setup you go for.

If you want to adjust the height from time to time and have the best handling then it's coilovers and expect a harsh ride.

Hope this helps
Sal

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cheers sal.. i think ive made up my mind about the wheels..

still confused about the suspension :S i am just looking to lower by 35mm thats it and its for the looks..

will i only need a set of springs then? are you sure the rest of the kit will cope with this as it is very old? please advice further

cheers

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
It will be certain that at 170K your original dampers are well past their best, and if you want a decent, controlled ride and handling, it's advisable to upgrade these if you are fitting sports lowering springs otherwise you could be in for a very crashy ride.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so i should replace dampers springs and shocks, the whole lot? how much is that gonna set me bak?

how much mileage (mostly motorway) can u get out of toyo proxies t1-r??

cheers people

adz

·
Registered
40 Posts
I agree with shiuming here, if the shocks are the origionals then it's wise to change them.

You have a few different options here. I'm basing this on the fact that your looking for something relatively comfortable.

H&R Cup kit - maybe be a little too low for you though but very good - under ?400.

Koni Kit - pretty good stuff - shocks can leak very quickly though.

H&R 35mm Springs with Bilstein Sport shocks - wallet bashingly expensive but the best shocks available. - around ?550

Eibach Springs with Pro Dampers - Excellent! ?500

If you want to keep it cheap then get some Bilstein replacement OE shocks with H&R springs - ?285

I think you've got alot of options there.

·
Registered
40 Posts
how much mileage (mostly motorway) can u get out of toyo proxies t1-r??

cheers people

adz
All depends on how you drive, at what speeds, what your braking is like, how often you check the tracking etc etc.
The best thing you can do is to onto say www.tyretest.com and have a good read though it

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i dont want something too expensive as the cars not worth too much as you'd guess..

With the Bilstein replacement OE shocks with H&R springs, would this do the job? whats the labour like to fit these?

·
Registered
40 Posts
The Bilstein OE replacements are roughly 10% uprated anyway so the answer would most definately be yes to if they would do the job.

I think the average labour cost is around ?125-?150 to fit the whole lot.

Where are you based?

Sal

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what does uprated mean?

i am located in Reading in Berkshire.. you recommend any places that may do it?

im having second thoughts now need ur advice mate, is it actually worth doing the suspension becuz im looking to change the car in about 18 months anyway thatz how much longa it will last i rekon.. should i just go for 19z and then i can transfer these to my new golf?

how uncomfortable will the ride b on 19z?

cheers for da help mate

adz

·
Registered
40 Posts
Uprated simply means they are valved at a slightly higher rate than the standard ones. Bilstein do this to compensate for other worn suspension components.

18 months is a fair bit of time and if anything, you'll sel the car alot quicker if the potential buyer knows it's got new suspension - a cost they won't have to pay out. The other bonus being you'll enjoy the car alot more for that period of time.

19's are most definately going to give a firmer ride. The tyre walls on the tyres fitted to the 19's will be far stiffer than what you have now. Keep the origional wheels and just transfer the 19's to the new car when you do buy it.

Sal

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
true..

is there that much difference in handling/ride quality between the 18z and 19z?

surely it cant be that great can it? will 19z with 235/35/19 toyo proxies be any good for motorways?

still not sure whether to get 18z or 19z :(

adz

·
Registered
40 Posts
Personally I would go with18's.

Your likely to get tramlining with the 19's and the ride will be harder. Ttyres will be more expensive.

The difference can be quite big as I mentioned before about the siffer tyre walls on the lower profile tyres.

18's is my recommendation.

Sal

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
18z it is then.. :)

but which tyres thats the last question now..

i want decent comfort and grip, but should last 20K

toyo t1-r.. or any others?

adz

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just a quick thing about the wheels.

Be careful with the fake A8z's. A friend of mine got a set for his VW Sharan and they are so heavy. They are also very substandard quality.

How much are you paying?

Is it these wheels?

Posted Image

These are made by BSA.

Why not go for the BBS RC's which are super light weight and cost only a little more.
Sal

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yes mate they are the wheels!

who are BSA? is it not worth getting these? i asked rochford tyres where they were made and they couldnt tell me!

where can i get BBS RC's from?

cheers

adz

·
Registered
40 Posts
BBS RC's are now all sold from us. VW Speed are the only ones who have the last few sets. They want ?1000 for them though whereas we wanted alot less!

VW Speed also do the A8 style wheels and they are only ?450!!

www.vwspeed.co.uk

Sal

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
owe too much 4 me :(

c now them picz of the A8z look far better than that on rochford!

do u no if they are made in italy? they are about 100 quid more than on rochford though.

would it be wise to put toyo proxes t1-r on the rear and falken fk451 on the front?

cheers

adz

1 - 20 of 23 Posts