Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ladies and Gents,

It's time for a new TV. For our own mad reasons it turns out we've been renting the TV we've got for years, which is plainly daft. It's about 3-4 years old now and needs to go.

We have a nice Phillips 32" Widescreen TV currently, and it's done a sterling job with a picture quality that has been fine for what I want. Time to make way for a nice LCD/Plasma (and actually buy is as opposed to p*ssing money up the wall!).

Questions and requirements....

1) What's the difference (in laymans terms) between the LCD and Plasma technology?? They've both supposed to be good, and some people have said to me one is better at larger display sizes, and the other at lower sizes... True or false??

2) We've got a reasonable size lounge, but it's not huge. As such, we're not going to be going too OTT on size - around the current 32" will be just fine, and I can see there's a reasonable choice out there. Bearing in mind point 1, which technology should I be looking at??

3) Any brands you'd REALLY recommend, and conversely, you'd avoid like the plague??

4) What key features should the new TV have?? Future plans include amping up and installing a proper surround sound system so not sure on what would be best for getting a reasonable sound out would be?? 2 SCARTs seems standard, which is fine (one for DVD, one for Freeview). Anything else??

5) Also what about resolutions/contrast ratios/etc??

6) AOB - Anything else I might have missed. [;)]

Thanks muchly peoples

C

PS - oh, budget. Not massive, 1200ish max.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Well, cant really help with all the technical stuff. BUT!

Check this female dog of a TV out.

Clicky

Sign up to quidco.co.uk and recieve 4% back (though you would have to use quidco for a few more purchases to make it worth it)

Use a credit card to get benefits like cashback.

And the best bit? PM me to get avoucher code for 20% off any order.

Freemans do the same 32" TV cheaper and also had a 20% off your first order voucher, but its expired now, but if you ask them, because you missed out if you could have 20% off your first order it might work as I did, but ordered something stupid with my voucher (a top) forgetting the value of the item I was egtting 20% off! Doh!

So thats a very good 32" TV at ?949. Minus 20% (off the base price) = ?736.

?736 - VAT = ?607 - 4% through quidco = another ?24 saving.

?712. Try and find the same TV cheaper!

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
check out avforums.com

?1200 will get you a fairly nice HiDef 32" (i'm currently looking for a 32" LCD)

LCD and plasma both have their pros and cons

Plasma are better at larger sizes, in fact you won't find many under "42

and LCD are better at smaller sizes, 26"-32"

all LCDs do suffer from motion blur to one extent or another and they can't do deep blacks anything like a CRT

you have to beware of non-HD source material though. try and view a panel with standard TV and a dvd/xbox360 if you are looking to lay down over a grand for it

some people have been disappointed with the look of standard TV on HD panels, however if you have a nice dvd player and/or 360 then it'll blow you away

·
Registered
894 Posts
1) Plasmas generally start at 37", if your happy with a 32" then you'll be looking at LCD.

2) Don't go for the largest set in the showroom, if you sit to close to a large display you will only be disappointed because it will look crap. Look for the HD ready sticker.

3) I have a Panasonic 32" LCD and am very pleased with it, they are also rated in most magazines, if you want value take a look at the Samsungs, stay away from dodgy none brand supermarket / currys / dixons stuff.

4) You should be looking for Component, HDMI, and RGB scart inputs.

5) Don't worry about resolutions/contrast ratios/etc, most modern sets have these covered fairly well, and besides different manufacturers have different ways of taking these measurements.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
No-one's mentioned DV-B yet.... IMHO if you don't get a Freeview set then your burning ?10 notes. The governement have published their analogue switch off schedule and if you don't have a digital tuner then the TV will simply be useless for anything other than a monitor in a few years time.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gents, thank you for all advice so far, you're all saying what I was a) suspecting and b) hoping for [;)]

Will be doing lots of testing in shops over the next week or few to see what we think looks good and making comparisons. HDTV ready and Digital built-in are on the cards (Richard I'm already freeview'd with a STB cos we've got TopUp atm but ta anyway!).

32" is just the ideal size to replace what's there and have it fit nicely into the little AV alcove in my house.

Had a look at a few online and will shortlist over next couple of days I expect - so may post up for some views and any experience if that's ok.

Thanks again - proof of why this place is damn good!!! [y]

C

·
Registered
674 Posts
Do a search on AV Forums (www.avforums.com) for Hyundai and look at the reviews on the new Q321 32" LCD. (there is one massive thread on it) This is knocking socks of the competition at the moment, and as the Marantz version sells for ?1400 (exactly the same unit and manufacturerd by Hyundai) you are getting a good saving. Fully HD ready, built in freeview, blah blah blah..

I cant seem to attach the PDF spec file!??!?

·
Registered
165 Posts
The Sony KDL-V32A12U has been the number one LCD in "what video and widescreen" magazine for 3 months now. They say this: "it delivers pictures so natural as to make the competion weep & audio is very precise".

It also looks the dogs as well.

Guide price about ?1500.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Though you are happy with your 32" CRT tv you would love something
bigger. A flat screen takes up much less space in the room,
particularly if you wall mount it like I have. I went from a 32"
Panasonic CRT to a 42" Panasonic plasma and I wish I'd gone for a 50"
now. The distance that you will sit from the screen is important in
making a choice in what size to go for. Obviously budget plays a large
roll in this too.

I disagree with what Del says about not worrying about resolutions -
they are very important. For example a standard def (SD) screen is
typically going to be 852x480. I high definition screen can be
1024x768, 1366x768, 1024x1024 or 1920x1080. The 1024x1024 screens
should be avoided as they are interlaced screens and have to do some
weird electronic contortion to get a picture. Del is however right in
not getting drawn into the various companies babble about contrast
ratios as they all have their own ways of measuring them.

Another decision to make is do you need hi-def or just a good standard
def one? And do you want a panel (no sound output or tuner) or a tv?

If you want a good panel then you wont go far wrong with a Pansonic
TH42PWD8 which is a very good SD screen and only ?1295 (may now be
cheaper).

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nik, some different ideas here, thank you very much [:)]

The reason for going down the Hi-Def ready sideo f things, is TVs in this house generally last a long time, so attempting to be prepared (as best as possible, with all the permanent changes happening) is the aim here. The resolutions of some of the LCDs I've looked at (purely online thus far) are all 1366x768, which out of those you've specified seems to be very middle of the road (fine then!).

Also the TV vs panel would be TV, as it makes life simpler initially, and more importantly when I move out and take everything else (bar the TV [;)]) with me... And naturally it's gotta be simple for the old dear to use [;)]

Finally as much as wall mounting would be cool, there's not really anywhere suitable in here to do it, hence why it'll sit in the same alcove as the current CRT. It doesn't help of course, that it's mum's house, and she will not have anything bigger... When I move out, I'll head for a plasma don't worry [;)]

Cheers

C

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
If you can't get anything bigger then you are limited to lcd screens
then as the smallest plasmas are 37". Make sure you do a lot of looking
around on the lcd forum at www.avforums.com there's mountains of info
there. They don't always reply to threads particularly by new people
but the info is already there for you to read.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
By the time you move out HD will be well established and 2 new
technologies - SED and OLED should be out by then which in theory will
be better than both plasma and lcd (if they can actually get it
working).

·
Registered
643 Posts
Got an LG32LX2R LCD TV just before Christmas. HD ready, component input along with scart etc. Very, very pleased with it and got it for under ?900 inc delivery from here.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The Sony KDL-V32A12U has been the number one LCD in "what video and widescreen" magazine for 3 months now. They say this: "it delivers pictures so natural as to make the competion weep & audio is very precise".

It also looks the dogs as well.

Guide price about ?1500.
Bought the Sony about 2 weeks ago, looks fantansic, DVD's awesome, normal tv is good depending on how good the signal coming in ( Sky, Freeview etc)

Once the Hi Def is up and running will be as good as it gets.[:D]

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
We have a nice Phillips 32" Widescreen TV currently, and it's done a sterling job with a picture quality that has been fine for what I want. Time to make way for a nice LCD/Plasma (and actually buy is as opposed to p*ssing money up the wall!).

PS - oh, budget. Not massive, 1200ish max.
Hello Chris,

Hope you are OK mate... let me help you spend money...LOL...LOL.....

Sorry to say this but the Phillips TV you have is not as good as you think [:$], you will be very suprised with what TV's are like now, whether it's CRT or Plasma/LCD.

To be honest with you, you need to think about what you want in the future, when it comes to buying TV's. There's no point buying a mega expensive HD TV 60" + when you are only going to use a digital box linked via a scart lead, as you will never use the full performance the TV can give.

But if you are planning to expand in the future then go for a HD TV as it will save you money in the long run.

If you want a 32" LCD HD TV then I would pay a little extra and get this: http://www.tvandvideodirect.com/product.php?xProd=2127&xSec=149

If you don't want to spend a lot of money then look for a CRT TV with Progressive Scan picture (as this will make DVD pictures look fantastic) and then use the RGB Scart to connect the Digital box or alternatively a Plasma TV (but this will be larger than 32") as they normally come with Progressive scan and RGB scarts to link the Digital box.

If you want help then let me know and I'll go with you to look at TV's, as sometimes you can get a great bargin, by looking for ex display models in shops like Currys/ Dixons/Comet etc... the only problem is that you need to know what to look for.

Or I can just meet up with you and go to Bluewater to look for TV's.

If you need tech help then let me know, or if you want to PM me with TV's you like the look of then I'll see what I can do in checking the spec for you.

Can you post the items you want to link to the new TV and there Model numbers( i.e. the make and model of DVD player/ Digital Box)

Cheers

Kev..

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Kev, much appreciated... Your phone may ring this evening mate (just so you're vaguely warned lol!)

[y]

C

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK just an update for you guys as you were kind enough to give me some thoughts.

Having trooped round several shops and got a general feel for the varying models out there, I narrowed the list down to the following two:

Samsung LCD 32in - HD Ready, iDTV - LE32R41BD
Toshiba LCD 32in - HD Ready, iDTV - 32WLT58

This incorporated tons of reading around avforums.com (thanks for the recommendations chaps, thoroughly good info on there, and the review links are ace [y]) and lots of reviews everywhere I could find.

Had a big long chat on Saturday with Kev (RS Golf) who was superb with his advice (thanks v much mate! [y]), and decided on going the extra little bit for the Tosh. It's not the same in the looks dept as the Samsung, but with regards to reviews and what you can plug in (extra HDMI and extra SCART on the Tosh over the others), it looked a good idea.

Back into John Lewis today, nice little lady offered some help, so after plugging in a DVD player and watching some proper imaging (even though it wasn't HD admittedly), the Tosh got the vote. The motion on proper fast moving scenes (we were watching the Peter Pan trailer believe it or not as I forgot to take Blade 2 with me!) was very slightly blurry (to me anyway) on the Samsung, where as I couldn't find any real faults on the Tosh.

Obviously I'm no expert, but that swung it.

Tosh has been ordered, though I've got a couple of weeks to wait [:'(]

Thanks to all of you though - I'll let you know what it's like when it arrives [:D]

C
http://www.johnlewis.com/Audio+and+TV/Televisions/+Televisions+/LCD/230214498/Product.aspx

·
Registered
259 Posts
Pioneers are my fav! The PDP-434, PDP-435 & PDP-436 are amazing. Or if you have the extra cash then the PDP-504, 505 & 506 are even nicer! I know the screens are prob made by LG and bla bla bla but the whole package is great. First the Piano Black bezel this just looks amazing not a lot else to say about that and the seperate media box meaning only 2 cable to the screen if your planning on placing it on a wall, Genius!

Ive seen a PDP-436 with a HD signal and it blew me away, saw a Hitachi screen and it didnt quite have the same effect. While i was looking at the cheaper screens I decided nothing comes close and even for nearly twice the cash the Pioneer is the way to go.

Now where is that spare 2k!!

Wez

1 - 20 of 26 Posts