Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As predicted by some forum members, the 170ps. & 177ft.lb torque  TDI engine is coming.   The model it will be fitted in will be called Golf GT.       Interestingly   the above figures come from just a 1400cc 4cyl motor.  but aided with both a turbo and supercharger. A strange combination but a weight saving engine block will help the power to weight ratio.    Well folks, what next  after the V10 TDI & this new configuration?   A Formula 1 diesel car!   Who knows.  

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Mmmm, pretty sure the 1.4 'TSI' twin charged engine is petrol powered mate..... 177ft.lb would be pretty woeful for a derv seeing as my PD130 has got 236ft.lb as standard...., but i could be wrong as i'm frequently told so by my missus...lol!! [:D]

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Mmmm, pretty sure the 1.4 'TSI' twin charged engine is petrol powered mate..... 177ft.lb would be pretty woeful seeing as my PD130 has got 236ft.lb as standard...., but i could be wrong as i'm frequently told so by my missus...lol!! [:D]
There are two GT spec engines the 1.4 TSI 170 (petrol) which is the twin charger and the 170 TDI. Its featured in this months VW Driver. I really don't know which I would choose as both are going to be amazing engines.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Mmmm, pretty sure the 1.4 'TSI' twin charged engine is petrol powered mate..... 177ft.lb would be pretty woeful seeing as my PD130 has got 236ft.lb as standard...., but i could be wrong as i'm frequently told so by my missus...lol!! [:D]
agreed, should think the torque is more like 377lb/ft really!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
But isnt the 170 diesel a 2.0 with the piezo injection? To the best of my knowledge there is only the 1.4 that is uing the super-turbo combination.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
But isnt the 170 diesel a 2.0 with the piezo injection? To the best of my knowledge there is only the 1.4 that is uing the super-turbo combination.
Yes - thats what people are saying above.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
The 170 ps engine is a 1.4 petrol with a turbo & a supercharger

There is going to be a 170 ps diesel engine but there is no firm release date as of yet

·
Registered
99 Posts
Mmmm, pretty sure the 1.4
'TSI' twin charged engine is petrol powered mate..... 177ft.lb would be
pretty woeful seeing as my PD130 has got 236ft.lb as standard...., but
i could be wrong as i'm frequently told so by my missus...lol!!
[:D]
There are two GT spec engines the 1.4 TSI
170 (petrol) which is the twin charger and the 170 TDI. Its
featured in this months VW Driver. I really don't know which I would
choose as both are going to be amazing engines.
Can someone summarize what VW Driver had to say about the engine? Any
performance figures and comparisions to new GTI or older PD 150 model?

Thanks!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Any idea of price or insurance details for the 170 GT tdi yet?

I and other current GT tdi owners could take a huge hit on our residuals if there is not much difference. Should VW offer us an engine Mod to get our power up as well.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
The new Passat Tdi 140 already has the PPD (Piezo-Pumpe-Duse) injector technology, and a new ECU to go with it.

We (me included) are just awaiting news of the launch date for the PPD170 engine in the Passat and Golf.

Which ever car has it first will be tested immediately by the 'tuning houses' to see if the usual 30-40bhp margins are still available to exploited by a remap.

The thoughts so far are that it's likely to be the same lump as the PD140 / PPD140, same turbo too, therefor making it highly probable that it's a "breathed-on" 140 bhp setup.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
So, if I read you correctly, if it really is the case that this is just a breathed on 140, then the 40bhp margin shouldnt be available right? As I understood it, it was always the turbo that was the limiting factor with the existing 140 and not the fuel delivery, therefore the alterations in fuel delivery (Piezos) shouldnt make too much difference?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Well, the 170hp TDI will most likely not have the same turbo as 140. As
the PD130 and 140 share the same turbo, even the PD150 has a bigger
unit. Why would they downgrade from beefier 150 engine?

IMHO: Its just not possible to push the amount of fuel required for
170hp with the air available from smaller turbo, atleast not without a
lot of smoke and reliability issues in mass production.

Maybe someone can search ETKA if it already has info on this new engine?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Yeah but they wouldnt be downgrading would they? They've already stopped using the larger  turbo thats in the old MK4 150 in favour of the unit on the Mk5. Therefore its just expanding on whats already there. The change in fuel delivery system is likely to see a smoother map with the increased precision of the delivery system. I dont think they'd change the turbo when its been proven that the current setup is good for a reliable 190bhp with nothing more than a remap.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Mate - i'm on tenterhooks over this......if the 170 has a bigger blower and sufficient capacity injectors, my destiny is already determined !

My buddies at a top tuning house are already sitting with a modded PPD ECU map in their possession - so it's all systems GO if it works out.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yeah but they wouldnt be downgrading would they?
They've already stopped using the larger turbo thats in the old
MK4 150 in favour of the unit on the Mk5. Therefore its just expanding
on whats already there. The change in fuel delivery system is likely to
see a smoother map with the increased precision of the delivery system.
I dont think they'd change the turbo when its been proven that the
current setup is good for a reliable 190bhp with nothing more than a
remap.
So they dont use the bigger turbo from 150 in the 140 engine, its not a
huge suprise really. The power is down with more capacity in the engine
and also 16V technology. Why would they use a bigger if the smaller
delivers enough air.

Reliable 190bhp with the current setup? Is it realible enough for VW? I dont think so.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
The oettinger chip conversion puts out circa 180bhp (they say 175 for the TUV certification as a minimum attainable level) and this is covered by VW incase of warrenty issues so I'd say its pretty much accepted by VW.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts