Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I believe that the standard clutch set-up should be better than this. Although, i would rather have the clutch slip than the transmission break! I think a lot of the problem is caused by the way the torque is delivered in a massive lump which helps the clutch break away more easiliy than a more progress build up. My TDI 150 made 202BHP/287Lbft and it slipped when the ambient was around freezing. With the boost raised from 23 to 26 PSI it slipped on and off in any condition. I have a de-rated chip from upsolute which is their 'low smoke' chip and should put out about 185BHP but I've never used it. I guess my clutch will give up in the next 5K, so I need a realistic solution by then.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Micky32 - You may have a point - I also revisited Superchips recently under similar circumstances (as discussed in PM with Spin150PD) and the power/torque curves dipped because the rolling road over-compensated for the rush of torque.

Wakaday - (still no satisfactory answer from my friend sorry to say) have you seen the ECS solutions;

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi?make=Volkswagen&engine=TDI&model=Golf%20IV&submodel=&category=Drivetrain&subcategory=Clutch

Available from JBR and the dollar rate is good at the mo'. I have spunked my savings on some Porsche brakes from them instead.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Reflex, looked at that site with interest, but these clutches are based on 228mm dia clutches not the TDI 240mm. Doesn't state how much torque thay can handle. I think Helix option would be lower risk. I'm waiting on a reply from impossible performance see what they can come up with?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Quote: posted by Thos on 24/03/2004 23:08:35

The Mk5 TDI race car, 210bhp 330lb/ft, is using a 'Sachs sintered metal plate' ... whatever that means ...

Thos, see Wakaday's post, last one on page 1. The clutch will do the job but is not suited to road use.

Wakaday - disappointing then that ECS specifically list these clutches under the TDI grouping, unless their smaller uprated clutches do fit in the housing and deliver improvements.

I would really like to know a solution to this, as whilst everything is relatively OK at the moment, you never know.

·
Expression Intentionally Blank
1,132 Posts
Just thought I'd chime in and say my TDI clutch slips in the cold weather now I'm remapped (4-6 gears normally do the trick!)

I suppose I'll get it changed under warranty...

·
Registered
654 Posts
For what it's worth... I sit next to someone at work who has a Nissan sports car with mods giving 300 BHP. He has just had a new clutch installed, a proper racing clutch that either "bites" or does not. Not much use for stop start traffic! Although he only knows about his Nissan I will ask him where to go or ask for specific clutches.

Have we discussed why the clutch slips in the cold? My work co. said as the cold air is denser, the turbo sucks in more yielding greater power. OK, that doesn't resolve the problem but thought I'd just say...

·
Registered
646 Posts
Hi Guys,

I have just bought a Tuned Anniversary GTTDI PD150 which has had the full works by Jabba.......I have graph showing 232bhp with 362 lbs ft torque and something like 518 nm, The chap I bought it off said the standard clutch lasted 1 week!! lol

Mine has a Sach Organic clutch fitted at a cost of ?600 pounds I have a reciept for it and it is beautiful! Really light doesn't bite hard and Jabba were very impressed with it, it does feel a bit lumpy when cold and when fully depressed has a notchy feel but when warm you would swear it was standard!

I have come from a 300bhp Nissan 200sx to this and Im very impressed with the performance to say the least I'll never poke fun at a diesel again!! and it still does 500 miles to a tank no matter how I drive amazing car!!

41 - 53 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.