Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
the clutch on the 130 is the same as the 180 1.8T. my clutch is not slipping with the torque it vibrates when at peak torque. i have stringer engine mounts that helps a bit and there is lee torque lost thru the flexing of the engine.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Mine started doing this over Christmas, its quite irritating that all that torque is going to waste. Its like watching CVT box revcounter - waiting for wheel side clutch plate to catch up.

Sometimes the revs actually go down (ie needle races to 3k, waits, then falls to 2750 etc once clutch plates fully engage and there is a momentary bog down)

I ran the car with the tuning box removed for a few days, and cant get it to slip. So at least it doesn't seem to be diaphram split/oil contamination. If it sorts itself out with the warmer weather I will keep tuning box.

Thats unless I can afford a clutch upgrade (TT225 plates etc) - seems a shame as clutch is only 13k old.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Dieselgeek suggested to me that the high performance clutch for an Audi TT Quattro would work? I would like that confirmed before I buy one. The VR6 flywheel / sach clutch is not suitable. I'm amazed that nobody has a solution to this one. I've spoke to most of the tuners who can only offer a helix single mass flywheel/5 paddle ceramic plate, that's a bit risky for £900. I've got a few months left on my warranty so it would be nice if VW have an uprated unit they are fitting in service. I would have thought that uprated engine mounts would make the clutch slip worse as the softer mounts would damp the torque build up and allow the the clutch more time to bite. Ultimatly it's the clutch that can't hold the torque. I've had to run much lower boost than I would like to protect the clutch. Raising the boost from 22 to 28 PSI on the upsolute tune produces a big gain. This is a massive thread, but there's still no solution.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Quote: posted by wakaday on 18/02/2004 23:18:30

I'm pretty sure the Audi TT225 uses the same 240mm dia. dual mass flywheel & clutch assembly

But if its the same, is it going to be any better?

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
well if it is its back to square 1! im wondering about the new transporter clutch, there is a version with 174bhp and over 400nm i think, im sure it would be dual mass, but whether it would be a problem to fit is another story.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a corrado with a S3 engine (same as TT 225) and a DRW gearbox (TDI 130hp 6speed 2wd)

Since i have the same problem (283BHP 460NM @ 1,5bar) i think that the 225TT clutch is not an improvement.

I'm also desperately in need of an upgrade clutch[:(]

·
Registered
259 Posts
Im having my clutch upgraded this week after 1 month of being Upsoluted it started happening.

Buts its all good for the power! I expected that to happen....

Not sure what to go for yet tho??? Was thinking Black Diamond?

Wez

·
Registered
654 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I've spoken to the TDI race engineers about there car. They actually use a Sachs sintered metal friction plate,with a standard pressure plate and find this works quiet well. But.......being a race "Paddle" clutch it judders on take up of drive as metal on metal does'nt like to slip that much!! This would cure other problem but maybe harsh for road use. There engine is actually based on the TDI 110 not the Pumpe Duse,its the old AFN engine. Torque output is 258lbft, below a tuned TDI 130/150s The TDI 130/150 uses a different clutch set-up. I've spoken to AP racing and they don't offer anything to directly replace this clutch. The only realistic option I have found is the helix single mass flywheel/5 paddle ceramic plate and HD cover... for £900. You need a package that can take over 300lbft in one big lump. The ideal solution would be to mod the existing set-up and fit HD spings and plate and cover, retaing the dual mass flywheel. I'm nervous about losing the dual mass flywheel it could rob the car of refinement. I'm planning on testing a helix modded car in the future. I'll let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
554 Posts
[?]After reading this topic I contacted Superchips to arrange a rolling road and possible re-map as I also have suffered occasional slip. I went to the Bucks HQ yesterday and found them to be extremely helpful but was surprised at the outcome. I guessed my 150 might be producing too much torque, they R=R my car and it came out at 196 BHP @ 4170rpm with 359.6NM of torque at 2990 rpm so this is below the suggested max torque of 300lb (I divided 359.6 by 1.36 = 264lb). They confirmed many other tuned 150's had suffered some slip and re-mapped my car to produce 183.5BHP and 347NM (255LB) of torque, this new profile has eliminated the smoke I used to experience under full throttle/boost and according to Superchips should stop the slipping. The car does feel a little slower with the loss of 13BHP but now feels a little smoother with peak torque now arriving at 2750. My question though is why was mine slipping with the low torque figure quoted ??[!]

21 - 40 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.