Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a TDI 150, with 3500 miles on the clock. It has an upsolute chip which alledgeably gives 312lbft of torque. Since the cold weather , say temps below 0 degs, and extra torque, the clutch is just begining slip at around 2800 rpm. I'm a bit disappointed because I thought it was a 350lbft drive train. Also I expected the slip to be at about 2000 rpm where peak torque is? If I put the standard chip back in then I bet the slippage will stop, but so will the fun. I can n't exactly go back to a dealer and ask for a new clutch.The cars under warranty so I did n't want to fit an uprated clutch at this stage. The clutch pedal is a little high and the travel is longer than I would like. Can any one reccomend a course of action? Can the standard clutch be adjusted? Is there a quick fix?

·
Registered
464 Posts
sorry I cant help with your predicament, but Im sure someone will pop along shortly and advise.

Maybe the dealers wont notice youve got it chipped?? Maybe they wont even be bothered - they get paid well for warranty work dont they?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Even if the dealer replaced the clutch, he would only put in a new one of the same spec. which would not solve the problem. That is, unless your clutch is faulty. Not an easy problem to solve, but I would start by checking that the slip does stop with the standard chip in.

I seem to remember Apr limiting their chip to 300lbft for this very reason.The power output of these engines does seem to vary a lot, so the actual torque figure with the upsolute chip may be even higher.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got a power run organised in the next week (If the clutch hangs on). I'm interested into how much torque and where it puts out. If it gets worse I'll put the the OEM chip back in. I guess it's not going to get better so the best outcome is it's a dodgy clutch or the weather warms up. An uprated clutch is last resort. I've assumed correctly that there is no pedal adjustment then that may correct the problem? My pedal does feel a little high with a long stroke.

·
Registered
93 Posts
i have just got the same problem on my 130 with the chip. it has only done it in the cold and it is at the same power band!

i have unplugged the tuning box and all noticable slip has gone, (as the tuning box is easy to fit and remove i will leave it off). i did have a fairly full car last night and there was a small burning clutch smell when i put the power down in a hill with out the chip.

The car is in next week for a few niggles so they are going to look at the clutch then too.

i would have thought it would have lasted a lot longer than it has. but it only seems to be in cold weather!

if there is a quick fix then i will let you know. it will be in a few weeks as i am off on holiday. i hope it all holds out!

Andy

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did the power run today my TDI was putting out around 200BHP @ 3800 / 285lbft torque @3500. The TDI 130 has the same clutch as the 150. My clutch did n't slip on the rollers which surpried me. Most people I've spoken to expect the the original clutch to handle this performance. So I'm going to hang a bit longer before deciding to get a new clutch under warrenty. Keep you informed. PS AP Racing do n't do an uprated clutch for this application.

·
Registered
194 Posts
For the record, my 130 with tuning box, is producing 301.9 lbs/ft torque @ 2323rpm, 171.5bhp @ 4105.

Has anyone got a definite figure for the tolerance for the clutch in the TDI130/150 ?

I dont really know too much about clutch slip, my clutch does feel different with the tuning box in though.

·
Registered
93 Posts
BUMP!

I am still suffering from this slippage, it is not all the time only once in a while. It has been fine for a few weeks then it will slip for a day then be fine again. Very fustrating.

Any other still having problems

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Andy,

My chipped TDI 150 (287lbft) is much the same. Only really a problem in freezing conditions. I'm just living with the problem unless the clutch self-destructs, then I will claim under warranty. I read somewhere that the standard clutch is only good for 300 lbft, so we are basically on the limit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi

Just joined the forums so sorry for the late reply to this thread.

I recently had a problem with my clutch slipping (ABT'd Ibiza TDI 130).

Like everyone else, it only seemed to happen in the cold - but after demonstrating it to the dealer they put a new (standard) clutch in under warranty. Apparently the old one was hardly worn although it had been slipping for 3 or 4 weeks.

Mine slipped around peak torque, generally around 2000rpm in 3/4/5/6 gears.

The new one hasn't slipped yet, but even if it does, at least I've got 20k miles less wear on it...

I didn't tell the dealer it was chipped, and 2 or 3 of their techs took it out for a drive and never mentioned anything. Fortunately my chip was supplied by Seat (Holland) and is covered by the pan-European warranty...but I thought I'd try and avoid discussing the subject with the dealer in the first place !

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 150 that also suffers from this problem. It has been chipped by a Superchips reseller. Apparently they can send the file back to superchips and have it modified eg lower the boost slightly.

Does anybody know where I can get an uprated clutch from

cheers

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
A friend of mine has a standard PD150 with clutch slip in 5th and 6th; same old problem.

He complained to his dealer who is now replacing the clutch under warranty. The dealer has told him this is a known problem, something to do with weak springs. Vague I know, but interesting that a dealer admits that the fault is commonplace and that there is a fix.

I'll try and find out more.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Reflex,

Is the dealer replacing the clutch with the same unit, or do VW have an uprated unit to solve the problem?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Quote: posted by wakaday on 08/02/2004 11:10:25

Reflex,

Is the dealer replacing the clutch with the same unit, or do VW have an uprated unit to solve the problem?

I've asked my friend to find out when he collects the car, which should be Monday all going well. I asked him to get the part# too.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Quote: posted by terminator on 09/02/2004 09:05:10

Reflex, very interested to hear the outcome. Can you get the name of the dealer from your mate?

Don't worry I won't forget, but he wrote the stealer a complaint letter today so I'll wait until the saga is concluded before I drop him in it.[:O]

·
Registered
554 Posts
[!]Sorry to join this thread so late but came on line to see if anyone had similar problems, my car is a 150pd with superchip. A couple of months ago, so not too cold, I took mine to dealers as it was slipping at about 3,000 rpm, tech took it out and the damn thing wouldn't slip, typical! This was at approx 7k miles and up until yesterday and 10k miles all seemed fine, travelling up hill with full car noticed the slip had returned, any suggestions and did James (Reflex) get anywhere with his friends dealer experience [?]

1 - 20 of 53 Posts