then i recieved a call half an hour ago saying that my drain plug had
been overtightened so it may strip the thread from the sump when
draining the oil, requiring me to have a new sump fitted, also can't
stamp the book if oil isn't changed cos it's not classed as a full
service.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Arhh- This happened to me, noticed it after I'd bought the car.

Got mine from a VW/Audi Independant as GSF don't do one for my engine. Think it was ?90ish.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I believe a couple of people on here have managed to fit something like a HeliCoil insert instead of changing the whole sump. Once you fix it, whichever way you go, get a Fumoto drain valve and get rid of VW's terrible sump plug. You'll never have to fiddle with a sump plug again and will never have this issue. Can't recommend this little gadget enough, maybe I should organise a group buy.

http://www.fumotovalve.com/

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have just bought one of these from canada.

It a thread repair kit its slightly larger than the 14mm thread by 0.5mm it stays in the sump

but you undo the nut in the middle for the oil to run out.

It cost me ?5.50 including postage from canada and it took over a week on delivery.

the web page is this http://www.cgenterprises.com/drain_plugs_oversize_repair.htm.

hope this has help i got the info from seat cupra.net.

joolstdi

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
any update on this one i am intrested in a fumoto

stuarty
I tried contacting the Fumoto folks in the US but got no response to my e-mail, not an encouraging sign. I know a few people would be interested if they were available over here so I'll have another go and let you know.

Chris

·
Registered
47 Posts
I too had my sump plug stripped during a service at about the same milage, i developed a leak the day after a full stealer service.

Took car back to stealer who tried to tell me i needed to pay for new sump as its been stripped. I simply made it clear to him that the only people who have ever touched the plug would be VW qualified and extreamly expensive monkeys, (see service book) so he must be telling me that they have stripped the plug?.. Surely not...he then changed his tact and said it was wear and tear however when i asked him if it would be reasonable to have to change the sump after a few years he had to back down.

Stealers replaced the sump free of charge... Victory!!....

Maybe worth a go??

[:D]

·
Registered
722 Posts
I have a Fumoto valve, which i have taken off my 1.8T. ?20 plus ?2 P and P secures it, it has the extension piece fitted. Really neat bit of kit, worked very well for me!

SB

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Fumoto - as said previously, no response to e-mail. Telephone call resulted in an answering machine with a dude who sounded as though Japanese was his first language rather than English.

I know a couple of other people on here have ordered direct from their site and had their kit delivered very quickly so I don't think it's a dodgy company but opportunities for discussing a GB are limited in the circumstances. For anyone still interested in one, the best bet appears to be to order direct unless Stokeballoon still has his for sale.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Do as I've done, and get yourself a PELA oil extractor which sucks the oil out of the dipstick holder. That way, you'll never need to go near the sump plug again. Also much less messy.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I've wondered about those in the past but:

1. I've always wondered how much of the oil is left behind?
2. The most messy bit for me is always dealing with the oil filter and there's no way round that.

How much do they cost and where from?

·
Registered
189 Posts
The PELA has gradations on the side of it to indicate how much oil you get out. If you use the PELA when the engine is still warm (and the oil is less viscous), it gets virtually all of the 4.5 litres out no problem at all. The filter on TDIs is a doddle to replace as it sits vertically just below under the engine cover so there's no crawling about. Can't speak for you petrol boys though. It's able to sook all the old oil out of the filter housing also, something I'm sure is never done by stealers. Apparently BMW stealers do oil changes this way i.e. extract it via the dipstick holder.

I got mine from this place :- http://www.seamarknunn.com/catalog/items/item439.htm

And here's a How To:- http://cincitdi.com/richc/oilextraction.html

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Thanks for that, it's really helpful.  Unfortunately the petrol engines have the filter half way down the engine at the front. No matter what, some oil always ends up cascading down so perhaps I'll try to rig up something with a plastic bag next time. The PELA and something to catch the filter oil would save me the hassle of getting my metal sump guard off just to change the oil.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I dont know if I would be happy using them PELA extractors, surely all the crap that gathers at the bottom of the sump wouldnt be removed as it would when undoing the sump nut?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Thanks for that, it's really helpful. Unfortunately the petrol engines have the filter half way down the engine at the front. No matter what, some oil always ends up cascading down so perhaps I'll try to rig up something with a plastic bag next time. The PELA and something to catch the filter oil would save me the hassle of getting my metal sump guard off just to change the oil.
Get yourself some incontinence pads[:$] from Boots or somewhere (the large rectangular flat ones, not the nappie-like ones)and place one under the filter before you undo it. These things hold loads of liquid and can easily absorb a litre or two. They have a plastic lining so the oil won't seep through.

As regards sludge removal, I had this concern too but if you change your oil when it's still relatively hot, the sooty particles will still be suspended in the oil and can be removed. If you change your oil frequently, then you shoudn't really have any sludge to speak of any way.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I learned about these fumoto oil drain valves here and on other threads on the forums.. and they really seem to be a really ingenious invention, when you consider all the problems which can happen with normal sump plug removal/refitting. I've got a Pela 6000 (the Pela only works on my Polo.. not my Golf cause it won't pass down the dipstick sleeve) but still want access to drain from sump cause for main servicing I'll be underneath to do other jobs anyway.

Just bought 2 x F-106 and Adapter ADP-106. Didn't go for the w/nipple option as I don't think I'll be using a hose to get rid of last few drops of old oil... and prefer to keep it as simple as possible.

At the ordering stage there was a field to add a discount code. Did a quick search around.. found a few codes.. one for 10% and a couple of others for 15% discount.

The 15% discounts weren't working (SVC5, SVC6 and SVC7 codes expired) but YM4 was accepted for a 10% discount.

Having bought 2 units, and got a 10% discount ($8.34 discount), opted for the pricer delivery by International Overnight courier so looking forward to getting them fitted.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts