Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Just joined the site recently after buying my first golf, it's a v6 4motion.(love v6 engines, had my old v6 calibra for 5 years!) The 4motion's a lovely car but it's got a couple of niggly problems already. Got to take it back to the dealer to get it looked at. [:(]

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Welcome to the forum - where abouts are you from??

Not the start you wanted wiht the car either, as above, what's up with it?? [:(]

C

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i've had the car back to the garage for a quick look. they sounded partly interested but underneath the cheery exterior i'm not sure whether they are that interested(why does that not really surprise me?). the faults i had were the following:

1. engine management light illuminated. read some posts on here and thought it was probably a faulty sensor. when the car was in the garage they said it was the o2 sensor. they said the fault had, for now, gone and they reset the fault code.

2. (the fault which initially didn't worry me too much but the more i drive the car the more i'm concerned!) when manouvering at very low speeds with a reasonable amount of steering lock on there is a noise which appears to be coming from somewhere around the rear driver's side wheel area. it can be heard from within the car but not from outside. it sounds like a graunching or grinding noise. the noise doesn't appear if you apply minimal power (enough to make the car crawl), however if you apply some power to make the car accellerate then the noise appears. the more power you apply the louder/worse the noise gets.

i've noticed the noise as i've been pulling into my parking space at home and when i park in car parks. it still rears it's ugly head no matter which direction steering is applied either or whether you are going forward/reverse. although the noise may be slightly louder when reversing (that could just be because i reverse into parking spaces more and therefore notice the noise more).

my very not motor mechanically minded guess(and that of a couple of my friends) is that it seems to have something to do with the 4 wheel drive system. as i say though i'm far from a mechanic and even further from understanding the ins and outs of the 4 wheel drive system [*-)]

when i discussed both faults with the garage they said neither fault seemed too serious(again not surprised!) but if they resurfaced or got worse to contact them and take the car back in. i'm a tradesman and know that some faults are more(or less) serious than others but i also know that lots of BS can be told to customers to get rid of them. i like giving people the chance to sort things out but i also draw the line at being given the brush off.

any help or advice anyone can give on this will be much appreciated!!! [:D]

p.s. sorry this post is so long. [:)]

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hi mate....welcome aboard from another "South Coaster"....where abouts are you???? Not really a 4Mo guy but...he goes....

If the o2 sensor is on its way out then you will throw another CEL light and fault code pretty soon.....clearing them will only solve the prob for a while if they are knackered.....(I have a De-cat and can clear my CEL by dis-connecting batt...then it comes back in a few days anyhow)...is just doin what its suppose to do...and warn you of a prob......

Does it sound like a bearing has gone on the rear????.....Could poss be an inner drive shaft bearing..outer wheel bearing...or maybe a rear CV joint...????? (has to be rotational if it gets louder with speed and is heard in both directions??)

As said not got alot of gen on the 4mo setup...but sure others on here will know more....

HTH

Nick

PS You anywhere near Southampton????....as might know someone who can help you out more on this...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi matey had the exact same noise on my 4 motion this week took it into my local vw and asked for the haldex oil and filter to be changed ? mine had done 50,000 and they had never touched it . ?69.00 pounds later the noise has gone and she drives sweet as

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers for the help and info folks. [:)] Well the car is back in having the sensor replaced. They have also put the car up onto their ramp and can't see any signs of any damage/misalignment to the 4wheel drive system.

Very interesting to hear getting the haldex oil and filter done could solve the noise. Definitely sounds like the route to go down (and not expensive either). [au]

In reply to your question i'm a bit of a distance from Southampton. I'm in East Sussex. Thanks for the offer of help though! [:)]

Really glad i've joined this site. I seem to get a lot more positive feedback and advice than from anywhere else. Maybe one day i'll know enough about my car and i'll be able to pass soms help onto someone else. [:D]

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have recently bought a 4motion and am also getting the same problem, mine has just passed 50k miles and when i turn in either direction i hear and feel a noise comimg from under my car.

have you changed that fillter yet and did it cure the problem

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi just bought a 2002 v6 4 motion with 67000 miles and full service history(stamped every 10000 miles). On driving home there was a humming from the rear of the car that sounded to me like a wheel bearing. didnt worry to much about it and decided to get it looked at by a freind(who is not a vw man)and he seems to think this is not the case and it is coming from the rear axle? Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. The reaches it peak about 80 mph,a high pitched hum?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts