Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the car for a couple of hours on Sunday, I have already ordered one of these, but thought id test one out.

I will post some pics and give you my verdict on Sunday eve, its similar spec to mine, except this one is black.

[:D]

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the car for a couple of hours today, here are some pics (sorry it was dirty, someone had driven it before me)

I think the outside of this car looks great, its the subtle styling that I like, and compared to my R its obviously less of a head turner, but has an element of aggressive 'get out my way' styling...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/Klauster/S3/dash.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/Klauster/S3/boot.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/Klauster/S3/engine2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/Klauster/S3/engine1.jpg

I picked it up at 11.30 this morning, I have to say I had butterflies when I saw it in front of the showroom. After some paperwork I was handed the keys. Opening the door and climbing into the cockpit, I was impressed with the interior straight away, the door had a more solid feel then im use to, the leather and dash felt and looked more expensive (Ive seen the price tag, so I would hope it is) I liked the layout as well.

The steering wheel detailing and the stitching used on the handbrake is really nice too, the cars interior is basically a 'nice place to be' I didnt have any trouble picturing myself in it for long periods of time. Compared to the R, its just nicer, the seats are sporty and comfortable, but not quite as awkward to get into. The S3 logo'ing is nice, not quite as in your face as the R. (I think im getting old)

I started it up, it was very quiet compared to the R. This was the part I was dreading most of all. What if i dont like it, what if it drives crap.... I already have a grand down on one of these....

As I pulled out of the dealership, at low revs the car felt alittle ropey, although its definitely easier to drive slow then the R (R's just want to be driven fast). I left the business park and came to a junction filtering onto the dual carriageway... I decided to give it some stick

[:D]

I felt an enormous grin begin to emerge! Im use to the big V6 power delivery of my R, I didnt really know what to expect, but I was delighted with the sound and acceleration of the S3, it felt quicker then my 270bhp R. My imagination started to wander.... mmmm just think what it will be like after AMD have fiddled with it.....

While driving around Leeds city centre you can notice the S3 is an easier day to day car then the R, in traffic the R can be abit fussy, and pot holes and bumps can become tyresome, not in the S3. The suspension while firm and sporty, is more forgiving. The car feels very sure footed too, and very agile, couldnt feel much difference with my R to be honest.

I drove it around for the whole 1.5 hours, only getting out to photograph it, I love it, its everything im looking for, subtle styling, day to day car, but you can blast it about when just want to drive...... and when its 300bhp+ [:O] I might not miss the R as much now..... and im was soo worried I would.

I could blabber on and on but I wont, I know this car's price tag is abit expensive, but I really really like it, and all I can say is ROLL ON JANUARY!!!!

Soo sooo pleased I slapped a deposit down now [:D]

·
Registered
730 Posts
I'm happy for you mate, but is the interior available in black? all that grey cheapens it a bit imho.

also i couldn't live with that front styling,

I can't afford an S3 anyway so why am i blathering on, lol Good luck with your purchase. [Y]

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Hi Nick, you getting rid of the R then I take it?

That S3 is a very very very nice car, I love it, sooooooo nice - and I'm soooooo jealous!!

You'll have to get some pics up when you get yours, is it same trim etc. as one you test drove?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Nick, you getting rid of the R then I take it?

That S3 is a very very very nice car, I love it, sooooooo nice - and I'm soooooo jealous!!

You'll have to get some pics up when you get yours, is it same trim etc. as one you test drove?
aye fella, finally time to say goodbye to the beloved R. This is the new car.

im getting it in Dolphin Grey, with black interior, dvd, sunroof, light and rain sensor, bose upgrade, 6 cd changer and maybe phone prep

I cant wait... the alloys are like the RS4's and I prefer them, they also look alot easier to clean [:D]

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
hi lads.. I'm thinking about one of these myself. I've a couple of hours with one Wed morning and I'll prob sign up then.

According to Irish dealers the UK are running out of them quickly and UK dealers have been trying to source some from Ireland.

Sprint blue is the colour to go for I think.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
personally I think it looks over done on the front and then very bland on the rear and front side on it looks very flat and boring.

Agree the wheels look very fussy and not sporty a bit like the mkv r32, I would have liked to have seen the arches with some flair at least ! the piccies in EVO a few months back did it some justice but it is as I thought it just looks boring and very plain in the ones you have posted.

Shame that they are never going to do a RS version as that would probably tick the boxes for me apart from the price one which is just to much.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If they where doing an RS3 with a 38k price tag I would have signed up straight away.....

I know what you mean about the more subtle (boring) styling but after owning an R32 for 2 years, any car other then an RS4 (which is what I eventually want) is going to be boring looks wise.

Its not for everyone, and it is expensive for what it is, I think a 300bhp of these will be like the ultimate sleeper though [:)]

·
Registered
894 Posts
Very nice car.

But it's not a 30k car.

Have you considered a S/H S4 much closer to the RS4 you aspire to, do a search on the Audi site and I think you maybe surprised at what you could get for the same money.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
..... This was the part I was dreading most of all. What if i dont like it, what if it drives crap.... I already have a grand down on one of these....
When I bought my Golf, they didn't have any 130PD's for me to test drive, and they only had a GTI for me to see the trim level and finish quality of the interior. But I went ahead and ordered one anyway [:S]

The first time I drove a PD130, and in fact the first time I had ever even driven a Golf at all was when I drove off the forecourt of the dealers - after ordering it 3 months before and paying the ?16k price tag!!

I knew I would like it, but its a good job I did when I finally got it innit [:D]

In hindsight, it was quite a risky thing to do to buy it without even seeing one or test driving one, but hey - you guys on here filled me with confidence before I bought it!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thats the 3rd time ive done it [:$]

Golf V6 4motion

Golf R32

Audi S3

I did my research first, and kinda knew what I was buying.....

Got someone coming to see my R now [cry]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts