Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I've seen the frankfurt photo's and from a different angle that bumper
looks a lot better than the first photo's that came out imo,only thing
that lets it down are the alloys for me.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not given a date yet, although estimate was March 06. Still undecided on the colur but I can decide just before the order hits the factory (Nov 1st). Tosss up between silver and the R32 blue... I'll certainly have one of the first ones. Total cost is a bit of a shocker -  ?29,665 with options... metalic paint, Recaros/Leather, 6 disc changer, SatNav, Folidng/Dimming Door mirrors, Arm Rest, HiLine Computer, rear tinted windows, Park sensor, winter pack. Changing my TTC for it - need something more practicle , so it seemed the logical step as the new GTI was on the cards (until I got wind of the new R32) a BMW 130i is ugly and I can't wait for the new S3 which will be the 2.0 twin charger engine and 272bhp. As soon as the new R32 is run in I'll have  remap and exhaust upgrade from AmD to get 275bhp.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Mark - ?30k for a hatchback!!  Is it worth mulling this over a little more?  At this price level you should do a lot better, even the GTI at ?20k seems a lot but this is madness. Sorry to sound like Mother.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I could never bring myself to spend ?30k on a VW... ever.

Especially when it doesn't offer much more than the outgoing R32... it certainly doesn't look anywhere near as nice, power output is ever so slightly different, and well, the MK4 R32 wasn't exactly a bad handling car as well.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No - an A3 v6 s line with the same spec as the mkV R32 I've ordered is actually ?32,000! A car I find boring to look at and not at all my cup of tea. Throw in Audis serving costs and it gets even more expensive. ?30k for a fully loaded 250bhp hatch back? Well, that's how much you'd had paid for an S3 a couple of years ago if you ticked every box on the options list. Back in 2001 I had a 4motion golf from new - that cost ?23k with all the options I added. I sold it two years later for ?18k.

OK, what else could you buy for ?30,000 if you are looking to buy a fast, high quality hatch? Well, plenty of course. But I'm talking here from new, fully loaded - so a BMW 130i? Ugly and very expensive if you start to tick the options off. A3 3.2? As I've said, not for me. New S3? I've been told probably around ?27k for the basic car - add sat nav and a few other goodies... ?34k will soon appear on the order form. I could on, but if you afford it and happy with your choice - what's the problem? My money, my choice. Take a 3 door mkV GTI and tick every option... ?26,000 is what you'll be paying. In reality I have a TT worth ?18,000 to chop in, hence the real cost to me of my new R32 will be just ?11,000. I've not made a 100% comitment as yet - simply as my VW dealer can't actually put the order through yet. I want to see it in the flesh and drive it of course - their demo arrives late next month - if I'm happy then I'll hand over a deposit.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Did someone here really say that they are going to spend 30k on a Golf ?? [:O], the gti with options at about 24k looks as much as you would want to spend on a Golf !, that is unbelievable ![:S]

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Did someone here really say that they are going to spend 30k on a Golf ?? [:O], the gti with options at about 24k looks as much as you would want to spend on a Golf !, that is unbelievable ![:S]
The depreciation curve will look like a Stuka divebomber flight trajectory in comparison with a GTI with one or two extras on it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The depreciation curve will look like a Stuka divebomber flight trajectory in comparison with a GTI with one or two extras on it.
True, if you plan to spend loads more cash on a certain model of car than the average member of the public would, you should prepare for a massive loss come resale. Like modifying cars you will never get your money back. A 30k golf will drop money nothing before, the dealers will love selling these, as they know come resale they can expect a bargain !

·
Registered
46 Posts
Can anyone confirm if the new mk5 R32 has a larger rear window spoiler, or is it the same size as the GTI.

In some pictures it looks larger?

Matt

1 - 20 of 25 Posts