Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm THINKING about a new R32 at the moment.

They work out at ?46,000 with a discount in Ireland, not sure of the spec.

A 03 M3 would be around ?52-55,000.

Insurance would be roughly the same, road tax the same also.

What would you go for and why?

·
Registered
127 Posts
M3 ALL THE WAY!!!!

my mates got a convertable its fully loaded and the performance is unbelivible its such a drivers car, make sure youve got the 19" wheels (handlings better on them) but run flats can let it down, but i think its still great, its my next car (hopefully!!!!)

the r32 may be good and I have not drove one but im sure its not like an m3

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Probably neither, the R32 would be more practial of the 2 and would possibly hold onto its money better the M3... its nice but its still a BMW and no matter how good it might be I don't think I could bring myself to owning one. Unless its the 4wd and engine noise you crave then I don't seen the R32 being much of a step from your GTi, if you wanted a new car and something different I'd look towards the new Audi TT or even something like a Boxter.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I could always just go for another GTI with a few toys on it for Jan.

I just can't help but think the R would be even better than the GTI.

I would love an M3 but it is gonna cost a lot more to run than the R.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
The R32 is supposed to be good, but all of the reports i've read seem to say the same thing, that the GTi is better. You could spec a new GTi or if you are into modifying you could throw a couple of grand at your current car and improve it. The other option is to keep the GTi and get yourself a weekend toy such as a cheap Elise .

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Out of those two, then the M3 is the one, awesome cars, great raspy exhaust note, similar to a Ferrari and 340bhp from a N/A engine. Our place also does the chips to bring it up to 350bhp with tons more torque. Definatly have the SMG gearbox. But saying that , if i had that sort of money id go for neither of them. Id probably end up with a Porsche Carrera or something like it.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
M3 is starting to look dated in my opinion and you could get an older one for the price you sell your GTI for. Great car, but if your holding on for it for any length of time its going to look even more dated esp when the new model is launched. The M3 will be older than your current car and that would suck a bit for you i think.

Out of the 2 I would take the R32, perhaps not the fastest but perhaps the safer bet with regards to the future. - perhaps I am just too conservative.

Saw a 32 in Norwich yesterday, looked awesome!

However I would be inclined to keep your GTI for a few more years and save the cash!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Of course, only my opinion and more-or-less just repeating what's already been said but, here goes!

The M3 is a lovely looking motor (much prefer the previous style to the current one) and it's performance is awesome BUT... they are looking dated because of the new model line-up and residual values won't be very good (that's if you're bothered about residual value).

All the reviews and comments I'm seeing and hearing about the R32 is, well..., a GTI is the better car and, although I've not driven an R32, I certainly prefer the looks of a GTI.

Out of these two, I would, as suggested, get another GTI and spend a bit of money on options, custom tuning/styling etc.

If the choice was not restricted to these two, again, I wholeheartedly agree with former comments - a new TT or a Boxster. You can get very nice Porsche Boxsters for the kind of money you're looking at and this will be my serious consideration when I come to renew my car.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Very good car enjoyed mine,yes more to run ie fuel,tracker,insurance...but very fast a good all round car..I miss mine sometimes.....

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I think the M3 is an awsome car and have always fancied one, but prices are tumbling and servicing cost will be much more than and R32.

·
Registered
689 Posts
TBH mate i would chip the GTI and enjoy it for another 6-9months. The R32 will not be the range topper the old one was. Toward the end of this year i would wager at there being some more concrete news on a 30th anni or an R36

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't think I'd bother chipping the GTI, I don't think it would handle the power too well, especially in the wet.

I might have a look at a new 320ci when they're out, I think they're 170bhp now so not the worst. A Boxster is very possible but I'm not sure whether they're any safer a purchase than an M3 residuals wise.

A new GTI is the cheapest option, with a few toys it would cost me about E8.5k to change for Jan.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had an M3 and chopped it in for my new GTI. The M3 was my all time must have car, but was a big let down..... Sure the first few months were great with her and the power and speed is fantastic but its very twitchy in the rain and you never fully feel like you are in total control of it. The extended warranty is now ?1,800 per year plus servicing. Thats a lot of money when you add in the insurance, tracker and petrol costs.. 21mpg at best. Also depreciation is high on the M3.

I think its something you will have to make your own mind up on but from my experiance the GTI has given me much more fun and pleasure to own than the M3 did, apart from the mental stright line speed [:D]

S

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Buying an 03 M3 would make you a brave man than I...no warranty and for me that was just too big a risk on a ?20,000+ car. I spent ages mulling over an almost new 330 or 2-3 year old M3, and although purchase prices are similar running costs were worlds apart. Insurance group 17 vs 20, ?230 for a service vs ?700. Also extending the warranty on an M3 is big money, something like ?1700 a year, mainly because if something does go wrong it won't be cheap.

Combine this with the new 335iT being launched (306BHP, chippable) giving comparative M3 performance before the new M3 is even announced, and I think M3 values will soon start to drop quite quickly. Its still an awesome car though and every time I see a M3 CS / M3 CS on the road I think 'maybe I should swap'...

Once you drive RWD for a while you might be hooked. Twitchy? Thats half the fun! [:)]

·
Registered
310 Posts
M3s are great cars a friends got one in the exact same spec as the one in the link a couple up, they go like stink however do need a little bit of a revs to get them going but the grin you get just doesn't stop ! He spends a fortune on running it though and also if you buy one make sure the engine has been checked as a little known fact was the early M3 engines had serious problems with a lot requiring new pistons/conrods and some a whole new engine under warranty this is the main reason the extended warranty is now ?1800 a year. BMW called it engine enhancement you have to make sure this is done on any 2nd hand M3 you buy , last thing you want is a bill for a new engine.

As for buying a spec'd up GTi most of the extras can be added to the car you have know without much hassle unless of course you want a DSG box, most extras can be added OEM for similair money to spec'ing them. Hards ones are the highline computer as its ?345 to change the clocks, the tucking wing mirrors are a pain to retro fit and dual zone climate if the car doesn't have it but things like xenons, leather, centre armrest, satnav, cruise, cd changer and the multfunction steering wheel can be done without a lot of hassle.

From what I've read and heard the GTI takes the power increase from a remap very well, sure 1st would be dogey in the soaking wet but its like that in every car unless its 4wd.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I also owned a 330 ci sport auto,excellent car better mpg,cheeper insurance and easier to drive more relaxed.....but with 231 bhp no slow coach.The m tec body kit looked very good and classy.if you find a good
BMW Individual Painted one excellent....go for it.....

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I test drove a 04 plate 325ci a few weeks ago.. it was carbon black with the M kit on it, the 18s and it looked well. It had no leather or xenons however and I think on a car like that, it needs them..and I just felt that with the new coupe almost here, I could nearly have a brand new 318ci new model for what they wanted for a 2 year old one! I wouldn't buy a 4 pot BM but it's just a point.

It was just too much money for what it was and the trade they offered me for my GTI was dreadful. They rang me back a few days later and offered me another ?1,000 for it and I still told them no way. They were nearly a full 5k down on what the VW dealer I bought my car from were offering me.

Last night a fella in a Cooper S tried having a go and I very quickly wiped the smile off his face, even through bends and it gently reminded me what a capable car the GTI is.

I'm not into ripping cars apart and retro fitting stuff, I'd rather buy a fresh one with the options on it but that's just me.

I am siding slightly with the idea of a Boxster now, that or another GTI. I've come to the conclusion that the R32 isn't worth the extra over the GTI from reading posts here and on Irish VW sites.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
I test drove a 04 plate 325ci a few weeks ago. I just felt that with the new coupe almost here, I could nearly have a brand new 318ci new model for what they wanted for a 2 year old one! I wouldn't buy a 4 pot BM but it's just a point.
You get what you pay for with BMW engines though; small engined cars appear much cheaper than the bigger ones, even though the rest of the car can be specced to be exactly the same. The 318Ci is as much use as a chocoloate fire guard though IMO. Id take a 320D over that any day. The 318i is mediocre in the performance and noise department, may as well get the diesel and get good MPG.

The 325 is good but have you driven a 330? The 60 odd BHP difference between the 325 and 330 is suprisingly noticebale and adds an urgency to it that really seals the deal. Xenons on the E46 are excellent, but mine has the Alcantara and not Leather. I am starting to think Leather is a bit overated - it wears outs quickly, its lethal in summer and freezing in winter. I haven't missed it, put it that way.

Im really not sure how the new car will affect the current one due to its looks, but the launch models are 325 and 335iT, so no 320/320D/330/330D/335D for a while yet. When its on the road I will probably get used to it and want a 335iT though.

I am siding slightly with the idea of a Boxster now, that or another GTI. I've come to the conclusion that the R32 isn't worth the extra over the GTI from reading posts here and on Irish VW sites.
I found Boxsters quite attractive because the finance deals are very good - payments are similar to a ?10k cheaper car as residuals are so strong. However, standard Boxster spec is absolutely pathetic and the dealer line is you need about a ?5k budget for options whatever you buy. This, the 2 seater only nature and the 5 month wait put me off in the end, but now the new shape car is hitting used forecourts you should get a better deal.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts