Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got to see the new R32 Mk5 today at the VW dealers, and I was really disappointed with how the car look in the metal. The car did not have that sports look from the older Mk4 R32. It was funny because right beside the R32 was the GTI and it just had so mush more presence then the R32.

What do you think.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
I really dont like the mk5 R32, I think it is hideous. Where the GTi looks the biz, they seem to have killed it with the R32. It just doesnt look right, the angles, the proportions, the details. I would plump for the mk4 R32 everyday, the mk4 R32 looks the part and floats my boat.

If I were in the position to be buying a new car, I think I would rather have the GTI than the R32. That said, if one was spending R32 money, I could think of many better cars to spend it on...

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
The MK5 R32 is SLOWLY growing on me. I saw a grey one last night and loved it. Though I still prefer the MK5 GTi.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Said before and say it again, the M5 R32 is disappointing! Don't like it, but as others have said I like the GTI and would spend R32 type money elsewhere

·
Registered
232 Posts
My cousin has just bought one and came round for me in it yesterday and i must agree that the looks are a bit disappointing but when he fired it up i was well and truly in love with that exhaust note! It does sound fantastic and even with just 140 miles on the clock the pull of the v6 is just so good cant wait until its worn in a bit!! I think i would still prefer the mk4 though if it was my money.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I would agree the mk5 R32 is very subtle but that's no bad thing in my book; not everyone wants a lairy, spoilered, skirted, in your face monster of a car. If that's what you want for ?25k you're better off with a Subaru / Mitsubishi. [;)]

However, look back across the Golf's history and you'll see VW gradually evolve each model through it's life, and the early ones always end up looking pants in comparison!

For example, early mk2 GTIs had awful 14" alloys, small arch extensions etc. but by 1990-spec the GTI had 15" BBS, big-bumpers, side skirts etc and looked the part. Same with the mk3 GTI / VR6 - early cars still had drum brakes, poor alloys, wing-mounted aerial, orange indicators etc. but the post-1995 ones had bee-sting aerial, bigger better alloys, clear indicators all round, disc brakes etc. etc.

The mk4 was no different - compare a 1998 GTI to a 2002 Anniversary or the earlier V6 4motions to the last of the line R32s; the later cars are the ultimate evolution of the mk4 Golf.

My guess would be beefier, tougher versions of both the GTI and R32 are on the way next year with a facelift for the whole range. We'll already see the GTI 30th Anniversary next year (230ps, side skirts, bigger bumpers, black alloys etc.) and I'd guess there'll be more to come from the mk5 R32 yet... [:D]

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I would agree the mk5 R32 is very subtle but that's no bad thing in my book; not everyone wants a lairy, spoilered, skirted, in your face monster of a car. If that's what you want for ?25k you're better off with a Subaru / Mitsubishi. [;)]

However, look back across the Golf's history and you'll see VW gradually evolve each model through it's life, and the early ones always end up looking pants in comparison!

For example, early mk2 GTIs had awful 14" alloys, small arch extensions etc. but by 1990-spec the GTI had 15" BBS, big-bumpers, side skirts etc and looked the part. Same with the mk3 GTI / VR6 - early cars still had drum brakes, poor alloys, wing-mounted aerial, orange indicators etc. but the post-1995 ones had bee-sting aerial, bigger better alloys, clear indicators all round, disc brakes etc. etc.

The mk4 was no different - compare a 1998 GTI to a 2002 Anniversary or the earlier V6 4motions to the last of the line R32s; the later cars are the ultimate evolution of the mk4 Golf.

My guess would be beefier, tougher versions of both the GTI and R32 are on the way next year with a facelift for the whole range. We'll already see the GTI 30th Anniversary next year (230ps, side skirts, bigger bumpers, black alloys etc.) and I'd guess there'll be more to come from the mk5 R32 yet... [:D]
Well said mate. Got to agree, VW will probably revise and tweek 'till the Mk6 is launched.

·
Registered
245 Posts
when i was in my dealers test driving the mk5 gti there was a blue r32, now i hate cleaning the car the first thing i thought was "wouldnt want to clean those alloys" how many spokes have they got?

Id rather the gti.... dunno why just would

because on the mk4 the gti looked more or less the same as the standard models imo, but the r32 stood out but with the mk5 gti is much different to the other models so id settle for a gti hehe

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
when i was in my dealers test driving the mk5 gti there was a blue r32, now i hate cleaning the car the first thing i thought was "wouldnt want to clean those alloys" how many spokes have they got?
Loads!

However... when you're not in a rush to be anywhere, cleaning alloys with loadsa spokes is oddly therapeutic and the end result is nothing short of stunning.

Or am I just strange [:|]

·
Registered
366 Posts
I heard that there will be a R36 coming out towards the end of the mkv lifespan, maybe that will have more aggressive styling.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Heh this debate's come back again has it?? [;)]

Clocked a red one of these flying out of West Kingsdown on my way home this evening - in fact I clocked about 600 yards down the road, because of that crappy bling. It was nice and red... With bling silver at the front. It looked HIDEOUS.

So yeah I still don't like 'em.

Also, the arse end - the slightly darkened lights are great - but talk about indecision with the pipes.

Either out wide like the mk4, or tucked up close. Not half a yard apart, kinda in the middle, and sticking out half a mile from the back of the car.

[n]

C

·
Registered
682 Posts
I reckon the worst bit is the exhausts,they should have put them in the same place as the mkiv-it looks like a Clio Sport with them in the middle! Saw a grey metallic one last week,and reckon thats probably the best colour,it really doesnt suit red like the GTI does,because of the grille. I think black would look pretty cool though-it would show up the grille/badging /exhausts,without looking too 'bling'. Paul.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Loads!

However... when you're not in a rush to be anywhere, cleaning alloys with loadsa spokes is oddly therapeutic and the end result is nothing short of stunning.

Having a massage is therapeutic, cleaning alloys is a pain in the ass !!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Loads!

your just mad... or easily pleased and dont mind things like that?

Id clean one wheel and get fed up hehe

1 - 20 of 37 Posts