Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

Merry Xmas! [:)]

For those of you who saw the post of me trying to identify the puppy we were looking at, we now have him [:D]

Hes really lovley, hes not too badly behaved at all for a 10 week old, he seems really inteligent and has learnt to sit down and keep still whilst having his lead put on and taken off, to goto the toilet outside(when possible!)and to sit, all in the space of 48 hours odd!

The only things were having trouble with are him chewing, i know his baby teeth are playing him up and he has some chews we bought him, but he keeps chewing the mat by the back door and getting hold of towels, and worst of all his lead. I know dogs often do this with there lead but he doesnt seem to stop or let go, also he keeps trying to nip/chew my parents.

I spose I have spent the most time with him and he doesnt seem to nip or chew me as much, most of the time he listens to what I tell him and wants fuss off me, but he seems to try to nip/chew more, he seems to know the difference bewtween his toys and us as he doest bite hard, just holds u gently, but we obviously dont want him to think this is ok, if I say 'no' or 'stop' in an assertive voice he sometimes stops, but i dont want him to end up thinking im his master and not listening to my parents, hopefully wont come to that!

So im really after some tips of how to get him to stop chewing the mat, let go of towels and his lead and stop trying to chew us, lol

We were so pleased with him this morning, only his second nite here and he didnt cry all night from 1am when we put lights off, until 7.30 this morn when he was hungry and wanted to go out, btw were keeping him in a crate overnight and for sleeping as advised by the place we got him from, I thought it seemed cruel at first but it keeps him out of mischief and safe when you think about it.

One final thing, when hes done number 2 in the garden he seems to want to go and sniff around it, i think this is normal? i dont let him at the moment, is this bad or are you spose to let them?

Anyhoo, many thanks if you have read all of this, was only spose to be a couple of sentances, lol

Thanks in advance for any help

Dave [:D]

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
He sounds lovely! My springer died just over a year ago and still miss having a trouble maker knocking about the house!

As for the chewing, it's probably a phase, but when ours did it, we said "Ah ah!" to him quite loud to get his attention/stop him from chewing, then gave him a kiss/cuddle when he stopped and then diverted his attention elsewhere (i.e. to one of his chewable toys - then told him he was good for chewing his toy, rather than the sofa/rug/whatever). When he chews/bites the lead, just stop and turn away from him until he stops, then say good boy and carry on walking. If he chews again, stop and turn way from him again. You'll probably only have to do it 5-10 times before he understands that "Dad won't give me attention when I chew"

I hope that helps a bit.

As for the cage thing, i don't like the look of them and didn't agree with them at all, but our local vet (friend of 15years) said it acts as a safe place for the dog and they actually like it, so i suppose it's just my misplaced animal rights opinion that doesn't like them.

The puppy might start growling at any ladies in the house and taking little 'nips.' This is him trying to assert his dominance over them (he wouldn't try it with you because you're the man of the house. He needs to be fed by the lady (as well as you) so he learns that she has control over food, so is higher than him in the house hierarchy.

Finally - I'm not saying you will do thisor anything, just thought I'd say - don't smack him. Most of the time he doesn't know if he's doing right of wrong (he's essentially a 2year old kid) and to be hit by someone 10x the size of him will only make him a nervous wreck and no-one likes to see a dog cower in front of their master, flinching, when the master raises their hand. This way the dog will be controlled through fear rather than respect.

My 2p!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Regarding the crate thing, our Labrador is kept in one overnight as
he is only young still and not grown out of the chewing phase. He must
enjoy it as he goes in there out of choice and doesnt bark or casue a
fuss, when he is trusted enough not to eat everythnig that isnt screwed
down in the house he will have a free run of it all on a night.

As for the nipping, turd sniffing etc, its all normal, just needs to be told whats right and wrong.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, and sorry to hear of your loss Benjie, I know how it feels to lose a pet...

Thats really helpful stuff there, all sounds fairly understandable, cheers

and yeah, theres no way any of us would be physical with the little fella, we all seen to cringe each time he slides into things as hes doing 0-60 in 2.4 secs in our kitchen, lol

I think he is learning more each day and picks things up quickly, and the hierachy is deffo a good thing, id got my Mum feeding him to show him who does his food and i think hes getting the message!

Btw, you can see some pics of him here :-

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/thread/761580.aspx

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
First of all congratulations.....hope he all well.

The crate/cage is a great idea as it gives him a place of safety and security, i have a 5month old belgian shepherd and he goes in there at night and when family go out during day. He has been good and never shown sign of chewing anything he shouldnt. Does it have a cuddle toy to keep him company, its something ive always done with puppies, as when born they have little bothers and sisters for warmth and cuddling, it will also help with reasurance, great to be put in cage at night with him.

With regards to house training, take him out often and regularly at the start even every hour, just to get him started, in the past give it two weeks and most pups ive had start to ask etc..... or actually go to teh back door to go out.

Yes its very important to get him used to a lead early on but dont use it as a training aid yet, just get him used to it, get him comfortable with having it on whilst you walk with him. But dont take him out on roads or introduce to other dogs til the 2nd jab. You can hold him whilst walking so as to get him used to traffic/postman/paperboy/cats etc.....

As of the chewing there are a number of things available one particular has work this time round with logan, and its a chew bar that you can squirt a flavoured paste into freeze it and then give them to chew, it keeps there attention and cools there gums down at the same time. Also good are giving them ice cubes, yeah your carpet may get a wet patch but it cools gums down and seems to work.

Around the time of teh second jab is also a good time for getting him wormed again to stop the dreaded, drag bum on carpet thing.

Hope this helps, these are bits ive picked up off my mum over the years, off sitting watching her run various dog training schools, and doing obedience etc.... Strange questions pm me and i'll ask her for you.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I followed the link to the other thread and all I can say is... "LOOK AT HIM!" He looks like a cheeky little bugger! It makes me want another little dog, but I work 8-6 mon-fri so it wouldn't be fair on the dog.

If you ever need a dog-sitter if you go away, pm me and let me know, I'll come and get him and get to know him first! (I'm absolutely serious!) He looks like a lovely little dog, hope he brings you as much happiness as mine brought me! (That's including the 'average days!')

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, he is very very cute, u should see the way he 'trots' around the garden like a pony at a show picking up his paws, lol

Well, he done very good last night, no noise, no mess, and woke us at 7.30 with some wining as he wanted to get up, goto toilet and have breakfast, lol

One thing I forgot to mention, he does seem to like to goto sleep on my lap, if hes going a bit mad and jumping around and we cant seem to get him to settle, i sit on the floor on this towel(that he now likes to occasaionally lay on and uses to lay on with his chew)and he will come and sit or lay down on me, he then soon settles and has gone to sleep for a long time, I have done this to calm him and then popped him into his cage a couple of times, not when hes actually asleep but just a little dozy, i read its not good for them to wake up in a different place, I just dont want to get him into a bad habit of wanting to look for someones lap to goto sleep on. I got my Mum to try it yestee and sure enough he did goto sleep on her and think they bonded a little too, which is cool.

He goes into his crate for a sip or water or to have his food, but he wont go in at night on his own. We did try dropping a treat into his bowl so he hears the 'ping' and then close the door, id like to be able to give him a command and them have him go into his crate/bed, cant think how except for dropping tjhe treat, saying 'bed' and them praising him?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Even somethings as simply as bedtime, night night, work a treat with mine, unless he dont want to then out stretch the paws and he dont fit lol

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have a Labrador and she is 8 months old and still likes to chew, at night she sleeps in a cage to prevent the chewing and she doesn't mind this - I think she feels secure in the cage - I have even found our other dog and cat sleeping in this at times when the door is open. Its a big cage though to give her plenty of room. When we first got her she chewed the corners of the wall around the door, we stopped her doing this by getting a spray from the pet shop that tastes horrible - you spray it onto the parts they are chewing.

I was told not to give her the leather type chew stuff that pet shops sell as the dog gets a taste for it then will look for shoes to chew!

Our pup did not like the lead or even going out for walks to start with but as she got used to it, she now gets excited when she sees her lead.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I have seen that spray, think i may put get some and try it on the lead, the mat by the back door, and the...lol

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
We taught him it was bedtime by having the same routine for the last 15min every night. He would be asleep and we'd wake him and say "Last wee wee?" After a while he know what it meant and used to go shooting outside (even though he'd just woken up!) and he's have a massive pee and a quick sniff about the come in and go to his bed.

To get him in you can go with him and give him a bit of love then put him in, say 'good boy' and give him a little treat as you close the door. He just needs to get used to it. Have you tried wearing one of your old jumpers for the day and putting that in the cage with him? also a ticking clock is meant to help as it mimics mum's heartbeat.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
brilliant! ill try that 2night, hes learnt 'lead' quickly and the 'wee-wee' itself so that may well work, cheers! [:D]

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all your replies...

I am feeling quite concerned now im afraid, we have had him just 5 days and maybe im expecting miracles, but I can see this all going horribly wrong...

We took him to the vets today, and he is all ok health wise, but the vet said she thought he is a Rottweiler cross, as soon as the 'R' word was mentioned I know my Mum is feeling very un-easy about how big he is going to get and what he may turn into, the same thing happened when someone mentioned the word doberman too...

Now I know I have spent the most time with him, and up until yesterday he really seemed to listen to me and behave, but its as if he just doesnt listen anymore, I was pleased he was learning 'lead' to which he would sit and let me put it on and take it off, and if he did something wrong id say firmly and loudly ' No' and he would stop...

Unfortunately it feels like a loosing battle as my parents dont seem to be able to discipline him, for example he seemed to want to nip them both but wouldnt do it to me, but now he has started doing it to me to, when he did try and nip I had told him off and he'd stop, but when he did it to them they didnt say a word, just like he keeps chewing my Dads shoe laces and he quietly says for the dog to stop but the puppy doesnt take a blind bit of notice, it feels like ive lost him already and in his mind the fact two people are letting him get away with things, compared to me trying to make him behave, he is going with the majority and doing what he wants...

Also he seemed to have grasped going to the toilet outside, but tonight he has weed inside 3 times...

I can just see him growing up and being in control of us and not the other way around, he is learning quickly and is testing us for sure as to what he can and cant get away with...

I really dont know what to do now, I keep rowing with my Dad for being so soft on him and kinda same with my Mum and what should be a happy time is fast becoming the exact oposite...

I could just get be getting this all out of proportion as he is very tiring, the work you have to put in, i honestly didnt know how much time and attention puppies need...

I mean I think the worst fear of mine is if this nipping will turn into full on biting when he becomes an older stronger dog, or is it just that he is young and playing, its not as if he shows any agression when he bites, if u let him he kinda just almost gently just chews ur hand, i know him gums must be hurting and maybe the poor fella is in more pain than we realise and it helps, but I dont think its right for him to grow up thinking its ok to chw people, he now keeps jumping up and trying to get ur hand occasionally...

Just not feeling very good about all this at all right now, if anyone has been through the same id be very inerested to know how it turned out

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Hes a pup... hes also a Dog not a Bitch, as said earlier hes similar in temprament to a 2 year old child, Dogs dont calm right down till there 2 they will always be lively, there testosterone filled young males, remember being a teenager that's what its like for the dog.., and at 2-5 they can go two ways quieter or calmer, or they turn into Grumpy old men...

(my dads mate came home to find his 6 year old great dane who hadnt chewed anything in years, had sat ON the kitchen table and eaten a light fitting!!!!)

TBH from reading this thread you are trying too hard, and pushing him too hard, How old is he now? 6 months yet? he is going to chew stuff ocassionally until he is one maybe even longer, so long as its occasional don't worry about it... Of course hese going to nip people, how does he play with his compatriots(other pups)? its instinct its the only way he knows how to play.... The key is play with him (parents aswell) BUT when he nips use a stern voice and say NO and stop the play, then start the play 20 seconds later... again repeat if he nips... the key is repetition here and PATIENCE...

also they need to be let out in the garden, its a safe place for him to learn his limits (be carefull its secure though you would be amazed where they can get out of)

As for keeping them locked up of a night ... sorry but not my cup of tea? what if they get hot? and want lie with there legs splayed on a cool floor?

Dogs are not Rabbits you cant keep them in cage overnight, they like to move around and do get up numerous times in the night.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guest I did also wonder if i was pushing him a bit hard, for the record he is about 11 weeks

The cage was something that I at first thought sounded cruel, but for his own saftey i feel happier him being in that overnight rather than hurting himself or anything, he seems ok with it, its also large so he can move around a lot

·
Registered
372 Posts
Don't worry about it, it does take time, our pup is 8 months old and occasionally still wets in the house, but 99% of the time she is good and asks to go out. We don't expect her to give up on the chewing for probably another year yet[:(]

You do have to be strict with them and keep at it, eventually the dog will listen and react to your commands but again, it takes time.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
We have had our Molly (Bullmastiff) about 3 months, she's about 5 months old now.

Beware!!! They really like Leather[:O] She was left in our living room and ate my chair and had a go of the sofa too. Only had the thing 12 months and cost ?2400.

Mum thought it would be a good idea to leave the dog in the living room by the fire while she had a bath.

The funny thing was that our Bess (Staff) looked in horror when i come home.. She was in the living room too when the damage was done. I can imagine her looking at Molly thinking your gonna get a good smackin when dad comes home..

The joys of owning a puppy [:S] Wouldnt swap her for nothing tho..

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
At 11 weeks you are trying to hard and expecting too much, way tooo much. My pup is just 5months and have only just started teaching him obedience walking to command etc.... yes when he was much younger i did get him used to a lead teaching him to sit and down but never being to pushy with him. Just yesterday he was having a stubborn day but a 5month old pup is like a 18mth-2yr old child. It will take time, alot of time and patience.

If it is a rottie cross, so what, hard work and being firm and fair will keep him under control, chewing dads laces just make sure things are left around for him to get hold off, remember its all new for him too, so he will be inquisitive.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
also next time at vets ask if they can recommend a puppy training school, will be very good for him to meet other pups and you can learn to control him also, can start going to them week after the second jab

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
As above, it's early days yet. The biting is just playing but you need to get it stopped for obvious reasons. Incidentally, I wouldn't worry too much about him being a Rottie cross - if he's brought up well and you can control him, there shouldn't be a problem.

Keep up the training and don't give up on him - they're worth the effort in the end. Mine hadn't chewed anything until we'd move in to our new house - within a week she'd chewed a big hole in the brand new carpet but I wouldn't be without her.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts