Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Took me a minute ro realise it wasnt a MKV GTI, looks good but a bit to like the MKV if you ask me............
... and that's bad for why?
I am not a fan of manufacture making all there cars look the same...........i am not denying it looks good from the pics but it would be better if it stood out more rather than people thinking its a MKV GTI

·
Registered
406 Posts
Looks way too like the Golf.
Now I get why that's bad. Those with Golfs presumably like the shape, but resent it being used on other cars that are 25%ish cheaper.

Look, the MKV is H U G E, the polo is cute - you aint going to mistake it. It's like a Boxtser and 911 - you may double take, but you wont mix them up.

I think it looks nice, and if they fit it with the Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.9 diesel engine - I'll sign today.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Put it this way... the second picture, the white Polo GTI looks exactly like it's a Golf - the only thing that gave it away to me was the dip in the bumper just below the headlight. The wheels, grill... all very Golfish from that angle I think.

Just think they've made the GTI special and by having a baby GTI they've taken away from that a bit.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Volkswagen, you are so predictable! Lacks real imagination and they could of at least change the wheels so something [:mad:] Obviously the 'marketing' designed this baby GTI. Overall, the new Polo looks dull, with oversize headlamps and semi lexus lights. They should look at the styling of the forthcoming new Fiat Punto.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I like it but don't like the back lights and feel they could have fitted a more potent engine given that the 1.8T can make upward of 200bhp. As already mentioned the 160PD engine would be a gem too and if I could get the Polo in 5 door with 160PD, I would sign too.

·
Registered
809 Posts
When you consider the VW equivalent of the SEAT costs about 2k more like for like, you'd be looking at the thick end of ?18k for a 5 door Polo GTI PD160!!!!! And it doesn't have the Golf's sooper dooper rear suspension (even if the Fabia had the leccy steering about five years before the Golf!!!).

I would guess they stuck the 1.8t 150 in there to keep the costs down to almost affordable levels considering the size of the car. I would seriously consider one myself if the price is right as the MKV Golf GTI is just too bulky for my liking.

I wonder if reports are correct that the 150 1.8t will be ?15.5k, as the 130 Sport 3 door is only a grand less than that and the GTI would have to have plenty of standard toys to get away with being that sort of money. What can you pick a new Clio 182 up for at the moment considering it's being replaced?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
In the Car magazine article last year they reported that in development they had to take it back down to 150 (they'd just swapped the 180 engine form the MkIV) as it's performance was seriously embarassing the MkV GTi and they couldn't have a direct competitor taking sales from the 'halo' model.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I'd be mistaking those rear lights for a red traffic light! [H]

Disgusting lights!!! Can see what people mean about it looking the same, isn't that why we hate ford so much!? Fiesta, Focus, they all look the same!

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Look, the MKV is H U G E, the polo is cute - you
aint going to mistake it. It's like a Boxtser and 911 - you may double
take, but you wont mix them up.
Not true, I would put money on Joe Public thinking its a Golf GTI. None
car people - even psuedo car people who talk knowledgeably about cars
in your workplace even though you know they haven't a clue - mix up
cars from completely different manufacturers, let alone a car thats a
baby version of its bigger brother. As the Polo is so big now, I think
it could very well steal Golf sales. It won't have the same interior
quality or range of options, but it looks 85% as good to the majority
of people....

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I quite like the pics of the Polo GTI.  I wouldn't buy one as it's not big enough for me and is also a lot of money for a small car, but it still looks nice!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts