Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello guys

i'm planning on converting my current pc into a HTPC (with Media Center) and then plan to build a completely new PC (just reusing my Lian LI PC-60 case)

I'm looking to build something pretty damn nice that is more than capable with games

i haven't built anything in a while and certainly nothing using the latest group of cpus (64bit/dual core and all that)

the only stuff i won't need are mouse/keyboard (just about to get new logitech stuff), printer (don't like them and don't need one)

I don't need a tower case but i will be on the look out for a HTPC case for my old components

mainly looking for tips on CPU/mobo, monitor (flat screen as new house hasn't room for my 19" crt), graphics card

·
Registered
875 Posts
IF you are starting again I would definatly go for a pci-express based system. As far as graphics cards go you won't go far wrong with an Nvidia 7800 GT or GTX depending on you budget. If you like gaming I would go for at least 2 Gb of RAM. Are you only considering AMD CPU?

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i was thinking 2Gb too.

yeah AMD only, i've always used them and never had trouble. besides price is usually a little keener

·
Registered
875 Posts
I have been helping a guy at work spec up his new rig I think it something along the lines of:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
Motherboard: Asus A8N32-SLi Deluxe
RAM: Corsair XL PC3200 1Gb(2x512) TwinX
Video Card: Leadtek Nvidia 7800 GT
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 4 7.1 EAX Sound Card - OEM

Depending on you budget check out the Asus 7800 GT @ www.scan.co.uk as it does not have any fans so will make the system quieter. Also the above motherboard supports SATA II so make sure you get a SATA II hard drive.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Why not look at the ATi X1000's? They're top notch cards and the 1800
comes with 512Mb memory, more than enough for anything now and over the
next couple of years.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I would stick with the Nvidia 7800 series as looking on tomshardware the 512 Mb Ati X1800 was slower than an Nvidia 6800 Ultra 256 Mb, and 11 fps slower in fear than the 7800 GT with Anti-Aliasing and Filtering turned up.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I have been helping a guy at work spec up his new rig I think it something along the lines of:

Depending on you budget check out the Asus 7800 GT @ www.scan.co.uk as it does not have any fans so will make the system quieter. Also the above motherboard supports SATA II so make sure you get a SATA II hard drive.
looks good, although id get 2*1gig sticks. just for some future proofing. good overclocking to be had with that system too.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah i'd deffo stick in two 1gig sticks

and although i'd use the asus onboard sound for this pc i'd upgrade to a dedicated card for the HTPC

·
Registered
93 Posts

I built up my new PC at the weekend, that is based around the Asus A8N32-SLi Motherboard, it's a great MB, excellent for a little 'tweaking'.

I wanted to build a PC for playing all my games and also making it as futureproof as possible..

Spec:-

Case: Coolermaster Stacker

MB: Asus A8N32-SLi

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 x2 4400 Dual Core 2Mb cache

Ram: 2Gb Corsair XMS3500LL Pro TwinX

GPU: BFG Nvidia 7800GTX OC 256 (Overclocked by Manufacturer so warranty still valid)

HD's: 3x Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 250Gb SATA II drives 3.0Gb/Sec ( SATA II is very nice ;)).

So if I need to upgrade in the future I have the flexibilty of adding even more Ram (upto 4 GB), a second 7800GTX Graphics Card and even upgrade to a higher spec Socket 939 CPU.

I've not tested the setup yet as I've only just got OS and all the drivers on it as of last night, but it has the potential to last me quite a while. Can't wait to get BF2, F.E.A.R., COD2 loaded up. :)

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I have an ATI 512meg X1800 card and it completely owns games, its cheaper than the 7800 Nvidia cards as well, I have it running with a Asus A8N-SLi mobo, with 2 gig of Kingston memory. I am just about to upgrade the processor.... so I am looking for someone to take a NEVER overclocked, 3 month old, supplied in original box with Heatsink and fan FX-57 Processor. I will honor the warranty myself if you have any problems with it! [:p]

Let me know if ur interested....

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
my only advice would be DO NOT BUY DESKSTAR hard drives.... also known in the trade as DEATHSTAR hard drives.... they have a habit of dying.... ALOT!

[:D]

·
Registered
93 Posts
my only advice would be DO NOT BUY DESKSTAR hard drives.... also known in the trade as DEATHSTAR hard drives.... they have a habit of dying.... ALOT!

Yeah, I'd heard that, but bought them anyway, I had 2 Western Digital HD's fail on me in my last PC build and I'd read some bad things about Maxtor drives too, I bought the Hitachi's on the strength of a recent review in Custom PC magazine where they out performed Samsung and WD on read/write data speed.

I guess if you took on board all the stuff you hear/read about these things you'd never buy anything. ;)

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Yeah, I'd heard that, but bought them anyway, I had 2 Western Digital HD's fail on me in my last PC build and I'd read some bad things about Maxtor drives too, I bought the Hitachi's on the strength of a recent review in Custom PC magazine where they out performed Samsung and WD on read/write data speed.

I guess if you took on board all the stuff you hear/read about these things you'd never buy anything. ;)
good point. after all, i always buy maxtor and haven't had a single problem so will continue to.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
cheers, the budget may change but its scary looking at graphics cards at ?3/4/500

when i am into a game i want it to look great but i don't play them enough on the PC (thats what the 360 is for)

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
You could also look at the ATi X800/850 cards. I've seen one on Ebuyer
that looks like a bargain and I'm tempted to get one myself. Its an AGP
based card so if you're building a new system may not be that useful
for you as you may want to go for pci-e.

Have a look
here

·
Registered
360 Posts
Just found this thread, and am looking at biulding a new PC myself... But was looking

at the A8N-Sli board, without the 32 part, whats the difference??

Also the Athlon 64 X2 processors dont seem to have any performance advantage, presumably

software isnt written to take advantage of the twin processors? wouldnt a standard Athlon 64 be

a better "bang for buck" ??

Any help appreciated..

Chris

1 - 20 of 25 Posts