Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/volkswagen_news/article_1108.shtml

Posted Image

It's going to be available with (amongst others) a 3.6L VR6 FSI engine, with 280bhp for the US market, 250bhp for the German market (why [?]).

Could this be the powerplant that will be in the R36 [?].

It will also be available with a 170 PS diesel engine, I assume this will be the engine offered in MKV diesel GTI guise [?].

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I think the 3.6 that's mentioned will have to be a narrow angle VR6, so it could well find it's way into the Golf. As they've changed to transverse engines the A4 engine/gearbox won't fit.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
if its the same engine thats in my dads new transporter, 2.5l 5 cylinder, thats got 174ps with 400NM torque!! Sweeetttt!! [:D]

Quote: posted by hornetrider on 15/12/2004 10:22:00

Am I turning into an old man?! I like it, very Audi. Will be sweet with a 170 diesel powerplant too - how much torque??

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
The B6 Passat will be available with a 200hp 2.0l turbocharged 4-cylinder with FSI currently found in the GTI. This engine will replace the venerable 1.8T as the new base engine.

I find that hard to believe but if it is true, ace!! Most likely it will be the US base engine eh?

The nose is nice, the side profile resembles the 5 Series BM and the rear is a tad ugly IMO.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Front of that 'Passat' is very Audi like (even the fog light surrounds) - are we sure that's deffo the new one and a genuine pic?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I want to see the estate version, i prefer the look/practicality, plus the rear of this new Passats looks pretty similar IMO to the MKV Jetta, but i suppose that was to be expected:

Passat:

Posted Image

Jetta:

Posted Image

·
Registered
740 Posts
Nice [:)] Its between that or a new shape A4 S-line to replace our 323.

I don't think the 170bhp diesel will be a 2.0TDI, probably the 2.5 from the Transporter like PaulGT mentioned.

I'm suprised there's no mention of the 3.0 TDI from the A6, thats a stonking engine, and the one I'm after.

On the stylingl lovin' the front and size view (nice lines), but while I do like the rear lights, I'm not too keen on the "hanging bum" - they shoulda gone for a tucked under look.

Smashing colour and wheels [:)]

·
Registered
874 Posts
I read in 'Car' that the 3.6 V6 is reserved for the Passat, so there will be no R36 Golf. It will be an updated version of the 3.2 lump (hence a new R32).

Also it has been confirmed on the VW website that the Golf GTI Diesel will run a 160bhp version of the 2.0 TDI, so maybe the Passats wont be a 2.0?

Also, as Richard says, they've dropped the longitudinal engine layout and gone to transverse, meaning Audi's 3.0TDI wont fit [:(]

·
Registered
740 Posts
Jaime on VWVortex was mentioning that it was unlikely that they'd use the 3.6 FSI as they had a lot of trouble getting it to fit; the new 3.2 FSI was more likely.

He even mentioned that VW was considering a bi-turbo 3.2 FSI pumping out 400+!! But said it was unlikely that it would get past the early stages - these sorta idea's are aimed at the US market more, as its percieved by car makers that American buyers demand more power. At this point the lawyers step in and say its a bad idea, as it'll cause too many deaths by dangerous driving - this is why the Beetle RSI never made it to America.

They really need to make the new R32 300bhp.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I quite like, love the front and side views, but the rear is just not right, and whats with the black plastic skirting all the way around the car!

I love the interior, see how the dials are set in the dash individualy, and how the dash has a slight over hang!

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote: posted by sdesailly on 16/12/2004 22:10:29

whats with the black plastic skirting all the way around the car!

same as the current Passat, I assume they have just carried the styling over.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts