Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all as above ,i just changed from a vectra v6 2.6 sri to this car and i must say i am impressed ,comfort and interior are great and the power is impresive

its a 01 gt tdi pd 130 ,139,000 miles cost £2450.00,plenty of t&t ,drives really nice dark blue with standard avus alloys ,and totally standard condition

my question is this

being my first diesel is there anything i should be aware of or checking ?

there is a rattle underneath at the front when hitting bumps ,im guessing a bush or ball joint

i will probably get it re mapped later on

thanks in advance darron

·
Registered
197 Posts
hello and welcome :) glad to hear your enjoying it.

One thing i would check is look and see if it has had the special PD oil put in when serviced as that is very important on these engines.

Not sure on the knocking but check the ball joints etc for play and that'll tell you.

Good shout on getting it mapped, hopefully getting mine done soon :)

Hope that helps,

Ollie

·
Registered
790 Posts
it`ll be ball joints, i reckon,, i have a 130 ,, same age ish, ,same mileage,, n i had that rattle, jack up the front to see if you get any play on the wheels,, .. also check when the cambelt was done... Oil,, as said,, check,, or just replace it., and give the girl a good look over,,,,, mapping...........................

deffo,, mine is like a cat on a hot roof :)

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Good choice of engine!

Research EGR delete and get that done. Possibly the best thing you can do on a diesel, and recommended by most mechanics, as the EGR is prone to causing running issues.

·
GT TDI 176BHP 428NM
2,121 Posts
The noise could be bushes or bump stops, check top mounts at that mileage, also check front arm bushes.

·
No longer a Dubber
8,211 Posts
One tip: don't show yer mates how much torque the engine has by flooring the throttle at 1,000rpm and laughing as the boost comes in with a bang at about 1,500rpm. It'll knacker the clutch much sooner.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Id check the Dog Mount common problem on the MK4, can cause knocking and banging on acceleration, and definately always use PD oil in the engine. Quantum's the one for me VW approved [Y]

·
GT TDI 176BHP 428NM
2,121 Posts
I'm sure remapping at 139k should be fine, but just check everything over before hand. Most cars are mapped at a younger vintage!

·
You ain't seen me, right?
3,778 Posts
welcome along to the club

1 - 14 of 14 Posts