Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since having my turbo back decat Milltek exhaust fitted I have been achieving some of the my best mpg figures in three years with the TDI.

I drove from Bristol to Havant near Portsmouth down the M4, A34 and then cross country on the last bit from Winchester. I set the cruise on the m'way at 66mph and maintained this speed for the whole trip. I couldn't believe my average of 60.4mpg over 120miles when I got home.

The fuel gauage hardly moved. I just wonder if removing the cat has really improved the economy that much or if the MFA is telling porkies.

At the rate the fuel gauge is moving, I'm inclined to think it's telling the truth. Well impressed!

·
Banned
774 Posts
Decatting my old petrol car increased fuel economy by 5mpg or so also more power and less lag. Cat's are crap really can't understand why they were made law. Add more fuel use to the environmental damage/cost of making them and it seems like a bit of a joke to me.

Another reason to get cruise as well, are you finding the car quicker with the Milltek?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Decatting my old petrol car increased fuel economy by 5mpg or so also more power and less lag. Cat's are crap really can't understand why they were made law. Add more fuel use to the environmental damage/cost of making them and it seems like a bit of a joke to me.

Another reason to get cruise as well, are you finding the car quicker with the Milltek?
Cruise control actually increases fuel consumption as it accelerates hard to maintain the set speed.

Rivage, As for the Miltek,....what is the stuff you had fitted and how much?

Ade

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Sorry, I don't understand why you get all that stuff on to make it go faster and then drive like an old f*rt....?

Not meant to be insulting - I'm just confused

·
Banned
774 Posts

Cruise control actually increases fuel consumption as it accelerates hard to maintain the set speed.

Rivage, As for the Miltek,....what is the stuff you had fitted and how much?

Ade
The exact opposite of everything I've ever read or been told about cruise and it's effect on MPG over long distances. Not saying you're wrong just that I've never heard this before. When I've had cars with cruise I was living in the states and never took notice of economy for obvious reasons.

·
Banned
774 Posts
Sorry, I don't understand why you get all that stuff on to make it go faster and then drive like an old f*rt....?

Not meant to be insulting - I'm just confused
Maybe he doesn't feel the need to drive fast all the time on boring roads/motorways? I know I don't, in fact I get a kick out of seeing how high I can get the MPG sometimes. It requires huge self discipline.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@ Sammyboy - the car has benefitted from a substantial increase in power and torque since fitting the exhaust. The trade off is that the exhaust now 'booms' around 3k rpm. This sound is getting less intrusive as the miles pile on.

@ ade - Cruise control has helped me achieve some of my best mpg figures on long motorway runs. You are possibly correct stating that a vehicle with cruise will use more fuel mile for mile uphill when compared to a similar vehicle being driven by a human. However, over a long distance it evens out because without cc I probably would not have the discipline to maintain 66mph on the flat for mile after mile. Any car I buy in future must have cruise - Try it, you'll like it!

@RichardW - In the 3 years i've owned my TDI i've covered about 87,000 miles. We've got to know each other rather well. In this time, i've done most things you can do with a car...(Vmax, Nurburgring,highest road in Europe,M6 etc) Even though she's chipped, has 17s on F1s, has Eibach suspension with ARBs and now a full Milltek amongst other things, the party piece of this car is still its ability to devour long journeys whilst using about eight quid's worth of fuel!

·
Registered
361 Posts
@ Sammyboy - the car has benefitted from a substantial increase in power and torque since fitting the exhaust. The trade off is that the exhaust now 'booms' around 3k rpm. This sound is getting less intrusive as the miles pile on.

@ ade - Cruise control has helped me achieve some of my best mpg figures on long motorway runs. You are possibly correct stating that a vehicle with cruise will use more fuel mile for mile uphill when compared to a similar vehicle being driven by a human. However, over a long distance it evens out because without cc I probably would not have the discipline to maintain 66mph on the flat for mile after mile. Any car I buy in future must have cruise - Try it, you'll like it!

@
Yeah I have it,...and yeah I love it, but it tends to harm the MPG,...I travel 28 miles each way to and from work and there is a difference with CC,....you have to drive like a granny to better it though.

Re; the exhaust,..boomy? I have been put off buying Miltek in the past coz of that very fact, how bad is it?

Is it the discreet back box or the twin tails you have ?

Are you getting used to it mile after mile, rather than it getting more quiet?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have got the V6 look tails. Had the system fitted by Milltek themselves at Ilkeston, then returned after 2k miles for a new back box as they claimed my first one was from a duff batch and they had had a number of complaints about excess noise.

Anyhoo, in answer to your Q, the system is whiper quiet around town/idle and delivers a nice note as the rvs increase.

The boom is still quite loud with the rear seats folded at high speed under load. I think the system is becoming a little quieter with use.... i'm also getting used to it i guess!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
@RichardW - In the 3 years i've owned my TDI i've covered about 87,000 miles. We've got to know each other rather well. In this time, i've done most things you can do with a car...(Vmax, Nurburgring,highest road in Europe,M6 etc) Even though she's chipped, has 17s on F1s, has Eibach suspension with ARBs and now a full Milltek amongst other things, the party piece of this car is still its ability to devour long journeys whilst using about eight quid's worth of fuel!
Thanks! I understand now. I simply don't have the patience to drive that slowly.....[:$]

I agree with the comments on CC - on a short run (under 30 miles) with hills it'll probably use as much if not more fuel. I find it's best when you're doing 200m+ My right foot doesn't have the ability to stick at a sensible speed so I do tend to speed up when there's nothing about and it does drink a bit more when you get over 95mph.

Doing my annual run to Mull in October I can get to Oban from home using 1 tank full. When I used a petrol GTi it took 3 tanks to do the same distance.....

·
Registered
164 Posts
Driving my Golf to work (30 Miles on Motorway) each morning always sees a return of 60 MPG driving in 6th just under 60. Its up to that in about 10 or 15 minutes always. The car is a GTTDI 150 PD and is standard bar a Miltek cat back exhaust. Its super economy really!

RE: Boominess of exhaust? This is strange to me as adding my miltek did nothing to the noise of the engine at all?

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have had 65mpg out of my 1.9tdi 110bhp Bora and that is standard, I went from Manchester to Lancaster approx 65miles, was really impressed!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The car is a GTTDI 150 PD and is standard bar a Miltek cat back exhaust. Its super economy really!

RE: Boominess of exhaust? This is strange to me as adding my miltek did nothing to the noise of the engine at all?
I have the full turbo back system with decat pipe. In effect I have removed a restrictive filter and silencer in one go. My exhaust is now 2.25" bore all the way down and is stainless steel, so has thinner walls that you OEM mild steel system.

·
Registered
287 Posts
How much does the miltek exhaust cost? I also have a 99 GT TDi 110 and am considering a few subtle mods. I want more acceleration, but need the economy as I travel about 2000 miles a month.

At present my Jazz blue is lowered on Koni's, has 18" BK 166's and has hella blue tail lights. Clean and simple is best. Soon to have a badgeless grille, smoothed bumpers and de-everythinged.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The Cat back/half system from Miltek costs just over ?300 and the turbo back system costs just over ?400....

I was lucky enough to buy a used Miltek half system for ?150 from TIW30 here on the forum and a very good system it is. Perfect fit, no noticable noise increase and makes the motor much more drivable - especially in 4th 5th and 6th - a slight power increase and torque increase but nothing to blow your pants away. The 150 is quick enough standard. No loss in economy either ASFAIK.......Not sure what it would do to a 110, probably less of a power/torque increase. Miltek quote 7 or 8BHP increase for the 150 and about 15 for the turbo back system with an increase of 20 NM torque (or is that 20 ft Ib ??)

best of luck - alternatively cut the tailpipe from a 4 MOtion and weld them on to the OEM rear silencer. Seems like you want more of a show exhaust because ?300/?400 is not worth it for the performance gain. Combined with a remap might make a bigger difference!

·
Registered
287 Posts
it's not really for big benefits for show or performance. I just want an exhaust I'll never have to replace. I plan keeping the car for a very long time and mild steel exhasuts will last 4 years, stainless will last, well, forever ever.

Mild steel system must be around ?250 all in (possibly more)

so for the lifetime of a car, stainless is a good investment

·
Registered
164 Posts
You should never have to replace the OEM exhaust on your GOLF? It will last the lifetime of the car. And a new one of those will definately be more than a MIltel or other performance brand from VW if you ever decide to put it back on coz lets face it you will have to sell the car one day. And a stainloess exhaust will not increase the value of your car either. If anything it will devalue it especially with dealers. Just some points to consider!

To say that the standard mild stell exhaust on your Golf or any car will only last 4 years is not correct....

·
Registered
287 Posts
four years for me is about 100,000 miles. I would say there's not many mild steel exhausts last around that.

OEM perhaps, but how many people buy one of them when an exhaust needs replacing?

·
Registered
182 Posts
four years for me is about 100,000 miles. I would say there's not many mild steel exhausts last around that.

OEM perhaps, but how many people buy one of them when an exhaust needs replacing?
If anything, the exhaust, even in mild steel should last for even longer if clocking up a high annual mileage. It's lack of use and moisture that shortens their life. Mine's nearly up to 90k and is almost 6 years old but the whole system has several years life in it yet.

A modern OEM exhaust on a regularly used car should be easily capable of 150k without problems.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts