Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
-"Top of the range, Highline MK5 Golf GTI. Includes Leather, Auto-Box, 6 Disc CD Changer, Xenons and Sat Nav. Brand new, Only ?17600!"

-"Where?"

-"Germany"

-"Ahhh but its Left hand drive, so no good to me!"

-"Nope, thats a Right hand drive model!

Thats an approximation of the conversation I had with my brother today, who then faxed me over the quote from the German VW Dealers. In Germany, you can order the majority of German cars in either LHD or RHD from new. The spec he got was for a RHD car, and thats just short of ?5k cheaper than the one I saw last weekend at the Bristol VW Dealership, and that car didnt have Sat Nav.

Im in total shock...[B)]

·
Registered
907 Posts
You would still get a pukka deal by the time it comes over here.

Our company has bought preowned cars from Germany for our Eastern European office before, and save packets!

·
Registered
141 Posts
It's not a deal, you will have to pay 17.5% vat which will bring it to ?20,680 then you will have to register it and get it here and then it is still an import, not a UK sullied car.

I managed to get ?1500 off a UK supplied car, a much better deal

·
Registered
342 Posts
if thats with german tax then its an excellent deal

when the mk4 came out first you could make a 4/5k saving by importing from some eurpean countries but i thought those days were over

and what difference does it make if its a personal import, there not made here are they

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Quote: posted by LIAMH on 18/02/2005 23:23:53

if thats with german tax then its an excellent deal

when the mk4 came out first you could make a 4/5k saving by importing from some eurpean countries but i thought those days were over

and what difference does it make if its a personal import, there not made here are they

I managed that with my MKIV, shame not so easy now....

·
Registered
737 Posts
The MKV GTI also has a different(Inferior) spec as standard in Germany; I would be careful about importing one and doubt that you really save much at all.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Also, when you come to sell it you will get way less than for a UK car. You have to factor that in.

IMO importing stopped being worth it a while back. Interesting to see actual up to date numbers though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Jae from the TT Forum here (the webmaster) and Ive just placed my order for a Metalic Black GTi (Manual). Got a baby on the way, and the TT R is a little impracticle.

One thing you have to be aware of is that Std models in Germany are far lower spec than the UK variant.

Ive ordered it with the following

5 Doors

18" Alloys

17" Winter Alloys

RCD 500 with VW Sound

Under seat storage

Enhanced Driver Display

Multifunction Steering Wheel

Side Airbag Curtains

Full Leather

Metalic Paint

Auto Climate Control

Xenon Lights

Darkened rear windows (65%)

Arm Rest

Cruise Control

Winter Pack

and some other options (cannot remember exactly)

Total price inc delivery and registration is just over 31,000 Euros (about ?20,000).

Tax in Germany is 16% so you would have to pay another 1.5% on top to bring it to the UK. The cars price WILL be affected as its an import. Many people on the TT Forum have been victim to this.

Due in April, so am looking out for some Tuning, Apr looks the favorite (although not announced yet).

I did have the DSG for a weekend test drive, found it impressive, BUT it takes away too much of the driving for me, so prefer the stick (also, my garage is very narrow on the entrance and I have to get it onto a ramp, and the lack of control that you have with DSG (or any auto) is unnerving)

Nice forum BTW.

Jae

TTR 280ps Quattro Nimbus Grey

Diamond Black GTi due in April 05

·
Registered
11 Posts
oh, and be aware that the DSG has limitations on the amount of torque it can handle (I think its about 325nM) so tuning may be limited in the future.

·
Registered
11 Posts
just configured the same spec as I have in Germany on the UK site, and the same car (excluding the Winter Alloys at 845?) came to ?25,355 so there is a big saving to be had, in the order of ?6k !!!!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Quote: posted by Jae on 20/02/2005 18:03:53

just configured the same spec as I have in Germany on the UK site, and the same car (excluding the Winter Alloys at 845?) came to ?25,355 so there is a big saving to be had, in the order of ?6k !!!!!

Interesting. Would the dealer not charge more if you asked for a right hand drive vehicle though?

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's illegal to charge for a RHD version, over a LHD. VW were pulled up for this by the EU a few years ago!

Jae

·
Registered
436 Posts
Have you lot won the lottery or something??

All this talk of buying new cars makes me depressed feeding the kids paying a mortgage.........or are they company cars[:(]

It's even worse when the stealer offers peanuts for your cherished MKIV with all the right bits on[:(!]

I'll never take a loss on a newer car again......it's a mugs game

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
www.carhound.co.uk

They do a good discount on the MK5 GTI by the looks of it.

Just still too expensive to get one at the moment. I think I will wait a year before I do.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts