Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

New Member today!!!

I have just had my car MOT this morning and have been told that I need new pads and discs at the back of my Golf 1.4S IV. I thought it would have been drums at the back? Can someone please confirm. I also need to have the front brakes balanced as it failed the balance/brake test - he is charging an hour to do this (hopefully won't need any parts as I had new pads and discs on the front last yer). He is charging an hour and a half for the replacing the back pads and discs and prob for the wipers and fitting a tyre. The total so far is £250 but this does not include the tyre or MOT (£45). Does this seem reasonable and should I be worried about parts that might be needed to balance the brakes at the front? Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
To balance the brakes the garage is actually fixing the sticky caliper. It's a case of stripping them down, cleaning and applying copper slip to surfaces. Unless you have had a really problematic caliper you probably won't need any bits. The rear should be discs. I would insist on named brand pads since your the customer, it should only add ?10 tops. The price is not out of this world but you could do it all yourself for around ?100 including buy the tools you need.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you're going to do a lot of your own cars mods and want some experience, and can afford the time off the road (if it's not a work mule) then I'd say follow some guides and try yourself! But after all the garage is going to be a good fast job so it's totally up to you, sorry I can't help with prices but I'd say definatley get some Brembo's if money can stretch that far, like aham_uk said.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts