Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just thought id say hi!

i should hopefully be getting a golf soon, cant decide on spec tho! its either a 1.6 FSI sport or the 1.4 S (for insurance reasons as i am only 18)

either way i will spec the car up loads!

if i get the sport it will be

Leather

Xenons

17"

Vortex Kit

Climate zone control

the 1.4 S

would get the best spec i could get on it!

what do you think it the would suit me better? bearing in mind insurance on the Sport is 1600 on my mums!

Thanks

Joe!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Well, sounds like a lovely car but declaring the rest of the options to the insurance company is really going to increase that premium! You're going for the most expensive ones really (leather & Xenons). By the time you add your 18" A8 wheels as per your other post then you really need to be thinking if it's worth it.

Far be it from me to say but would it not be better building up your own no claims in a Lupo or Polo? It would be worth it in the end.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Welcome.

I can understand your problem being so young but so many options especially on a 1.4 car will be money down the drain you'll kick yourself with the loss you will make in 2/3 years time when you can afford to insure a faster car.

Why not go for a basic 1.6 FSI sport which is already a nice car, save the money to put against another car when you have more driving experience and can afford the car you really want.

Having said this is your money and decision so enjoy and let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah maybe your right, i guess the really sensible thing to do would be to get the 1.4s insure it in my name, waited a few years then get a GTI!

insurance is 1200 on a 1.4s in my name with A8 wheels declared, i think thats rather good, considering i hve no, no-claims, been on my mums insurace already for a year

thanks for the feedback guys!

·
Registered
689 Posts
I always say get the best you can afford, and i mean by that get a 1.6, in fairly basic trim, an SE has a nice list of standard equipment.

Then you can, when your premiums start to drop start modding with xenons, wheels, bodykits etc.

ATM your money is better spent on the best engine and insurance rather than a slower engine and leather. (What second hand buyer of a 1.4 wants leather?)

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Quote: posted by col.mc on 17/01/2005 09:23:00

(What second hand buyer of a 1.4 wants leather?)

I agree with your points col but someone might "want" the leather but they wouldn't pay much if any extra for it in a 2nd hand 1.4.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Quote: posted by kenl on 17/01/2005 09:41:50

Quote: posted by col.mc on 17/01/2005 09:23:00

(What second hand buyer of a 1.4 wants leather?)

I agree with your points col but someone might "want" the leather but they wouldn't pay much if any extra for it in a 2nd hand 1.4.

What i meant was a buyer will pay more for a 1.6 with cloth than a 1.4 with leather. On the other hand a 2nd R32 buyer would pay a few hundred more for leather.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Quote: posted by col.mc on 17/01/2005 09:50:14

What i meant was a buyer will pay more for a 1.6 with cloth than a 1.4 with leather. On the other hand a 2nd R32 buyer would pay a few hundred more for leather.

I think that's what I meant too [:)]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
but surely it would cost more to add leather and xenons later on?

what my ideal golf would be, black sport FSI,leather, xenons, vortex kit and 19" A8 wheels, lowered about 50mil

thats would be nice!

altho i could get a 1.4 have it colour coded just wouldnt have the leather or xenons.....hmmm cant decide, its also a question of money, i can only just afford the sport, altho i wouldnt have mich money for other things.....

·
Registered
689 Posts
You couldnt add leather easily, but you could most certainly add things like xenons, cruise, bodykit at a lot less money than the options price list.

·
Registered
322 Posts
col.mc helped me decide not to go for a specced up 1.4 - i ordered 1 - even came to dealer then saw my senses. - with the help of these guys - ordered a tdi se instead. more than happy. insurance isnt too much either.

plus u get alot more grunt in a tdi - easy beat 1.6 fsi's :)

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Quote: posted by businessboy on 17/01/2005 13:12:29

Bollox [:p][:D]

·
Registered
689 Posts

col.mc helped me decide not to go for a specced up 1.4

All in a days work [:p][:p][;)]

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Quote: posted by kenl on 17/01/2005 13:24:54

Bollox [:p][:D]

Seconded... gotta agree with kenl! [:D]

It does feel faster but the curtosy 1.9TDI i had wasnt quicker just felt slightly quicker when the turbo kicks in...then its flat as a pancake [:D]

·
Registered
322 Posts
watever! least i have a turbo! :)

ok it wont easily beat a 1.6 but it will BEAT it!!

but seriously, take a test drive. it'l prob hold its value better too.

and you wont have to visit the petrol station at all, just tha diesel station, yeh am sad!

haha

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Quote: posted by businessboy on 17/01/2005 21:10:39

but seriously, take a test drive. it'l prob hold its value better too.

and you wont have to visit the petrol station at all, just tha diesel station, yeh am sad!

haha

Yours will beat mine yeah...u just open ur boot turn up some bassy track and the air your sub makes wlill push u along! LOL

In all seriousness i agree with what has been said and test drive both

Also the sport in TDI form may be good for u... 6 speed box really worth it!

Chris

·
Registered
1,794 Posts

Just something else to break if you ask me [:p]

No it won't. Here are the official figures, not from dreamers but official [;)]

1.6FSI - 0-62=10.8s terminal velocity=119mph

1.9TDI - 0-62=a painfully slow 11.3s[:p] max V=only 116mph

It'l prob hold its value better too.

Not true according to What Car's depreciation figures with both the same at 60% retained value after 3 years/36k miles.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts

On ownership costs I work it out as follows (I also did this before buying the car).

Premium for the 1.9TDI over the 1.6fsi = ?910

Assuming 40mpg average against 50mpg for the FSI to TDI per year at 10k miles the FSI will cost ?910 in fuel against ?728 for the TDI. This is assuming diesel costs the same as super-unleaded.

So it would take 4.9 years to re-coup your initial outlay for an average mileage driver. Just not worth it for me but well worth it for people doing a high mileage or on a company scheme which is not so expensive in tax for a diesel.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts