Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully, near christmas I may have a new job, it's all looking hopeful at the moment, was basically head hunted, but the job depends on an internal shift around.

The money is good, which is what made me go for it, but, I didnt realise I got a company car thrown in for good measure, along with laptop, mobile etc etc.

So, been talking to the bloke who's currently in the job which I will hopefully be taking, and you get an allowance of 25k for your car, though I may end up with his for the first 6 months (Golf 2.0 TDI). You get a list of most of the cars avaliable. The only ones that he noticed were not there were Lexus and Vauxhall.

I obviously been thinking about which car I might like. But depends on many factors. Although you get the fuel paid for, you get an allowance of something like 14p per per mile. If you decided you wanted a petrol, say R32 for 25k, you would end up owing for the petrol, on top of the company car tax. Say it cost 16p per mile in fuel to run the R, you would owe them 2p per mile.

At the other end of the scale (and why the bloke has a Golf 2.0 TDI) if you run under that 14p, say it costs 9p per mile. You get to keep that 5p per mile.

So, that way if you rack up 100 miles in a day, you have a personal fuel allowance of £5. So you can use the car for personal use, and use fuel up to £5, anything over that and again you start owing them for the personal usage (fair enough).

The current person in the job is doing 35-40k per year solely for the job. So he never has to worry about personal fuel usage, as he never uses up his allowance, hence the reason he took a Golf 2.0TDI as apoossed to say a petrol BMW 330.

But, I would like to get away from another VW, experience owning something different (last 6 cars have been dubs).

Any suggestions? Will have to be brand new, no option and come in under 25k (either that or 30k, he thinks 25 though). Would prefer diesel, 1 so I visit petrol stations less over the year and 2, so that I can hopefully build up a personal mileage account.

I just can't think of anything apart from the golf though that I like and falls into all the categories. After Damians experience with his, I'm a little put off by the whole prospect!

Audi A3 maybe? Anyone else got any suggestions? Ford Focus!?! Toyota whatever, etc etc

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Honda Accord...

probably the most bullet proof car in the world, and also amazing handling. Not sure on how Honda Diesels are doing in the power stakes bu they sure good at petrols.

Ora baby Jag.... dont knock them until you have tried them though. as said in an earlier thread, these types of car you really have to drive before you judge.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Honda Accord...

probably the most bullet proof car in the world, and also amazing handling. Not sure on how Honda Diesels are doing in the power stakes bu they sure good at petrols.
One of the lads who comes to the NW meets has an Accord, a 2.2 CDTI jobby; its the finest smoothest derv i've ever heard and goes a bit too!

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Hondas have the best chassis dynamics of any car, also the build quality is exemplary and you will not have any problems like you do with VAG machinery. also the dealer neywork is IMO one of the best out there.

Just try one please you will be surprised

Also look at SAAB some cracking deals on the aero 1,9 td

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
I was recently given a 55 reg Focus Estate 1.8 Tdci as a site car for work. Really and truly as a works car I was very impressed. Comfortable to drive, great handling for an estate, good engine that pulls well even if ever so slightly flat, average looks and spec (it was only an LX) but in general a good car, and VERY handy having an estate with loads of room to cart crap about!

Its a worthy option in either estate or hatch form but may seem a bit bland and plasticy compared to VAG or Hondas.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will certainly be open to any car, so the accord, after 2 have reccomended it will certainly be tested (if I get the job!!)

As for the Saab, love the outside of the car, not keen on the inside. Would be spending a lot of time in there too.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Saab is a re-bodied Vectra! And I belive the interiors are crap.
And Gary our cars are re-bodies Skodas[:p] The interiors are bland but yet the layout is innovative and the ergonomics work really, my mate has bought a 2.8 v6 turbo and it really is a great car and quite rare and understated too....

·
Registered
674 Posts
This is never as easy as it looks. Not only do you have to take into consideration the fuel costs etc, but you have to look at the emmissions and tax banding for the Company Car Tax.

4 years ago I chose my first MkIV Golf (1.8T GTi, Santas, full recaro leather, winter pack, Indigo Blue) because it was one of the best available cars at the time that fitted into a low tax bracket and one I didnt mind paying for as I knew it would look good and go as quick as I wanted it. I had already driven Scoobies (massively high on the emmisions), Saab (didnt like what I could get for the money), X type (just launched and was MASSIVELY dissapointed at the lack of power), Audi (thought I got more on the VW for the price, like the recaro's etc) and Ford (looked at the ST170 at the time but the emmissions where high as well). - So firstly work out what you are willing to pay from your own pocket in Tax. (The golf by the way was what lead me to this forum 4 years ago).

Secondly you need to think about how many miles you expect to do - if you are doing 30-40k a year you will want something that is comfitable, and a pleasure to drive - When I first started job, like you have been offered, I had a "courtesy car" given to me on the day I started. It was a Brand new Vauxhall Vectra. I thought not nice to look at but hey, its short term. I actually hated every single second of driving that pile of [email protected], back ache, bad interiour, bits fell off, broke down, rubbish stereo etc.

Thirdly, then you need to speak to dealerships and in particular the business sales teams. These guys know you have £25k-£30k to spend on a car, and will not give you the usual end user rubbish. If you want to test drive a car for a week, most will be ok with it. Usually its a couple of days, and you use them actually in your job. That way you can see if the car ticks all your boxes for actual driving (because by the time you get into it you would have already worked out how much its going to do your back pocket)

Work on it, do your homework and you will find the right car for you for work and for personal pleasure!

(massey fergeson? [:D])

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is never as easy as it looks. Not only do you have to take into consideration the fuel costs etc, but you have to look at the emmissions and tax banding for the Company Car Tax.

4 years ago I chose my first MkIV Golf (1.8T GTi, Santas, full recaro leather, winter pack, Indigo Blue) because it was one of the best available cars at the time that fitted into a low tax bracket and one I didnt mind paying for as I knew it would look good and go as quick as I wanted it. I had already driven Scoobies (massively high on the emmisions), Saab (didnt like what I could get for the money), X type (just launched and was MASSIVELY dissapointed at the lack of power), Audi (thought I got more on the VW for the price, like the recaro's etc) and Ford (looked at the ST170 at the time but the emmissions where high as well). - So firstly work out what you are willing to pay from your own pocket in Tax. (The golf by the way was what lead me to this forum 4 years ago).

Secondly you need to think about how many miles you expect to do - if you are doing 30-40k a year you will want something that is comfitable, and a pleasure to drive - When I first started job, like you have been offered, I had a "courtesy car" given to me on the day I started. It was a Brand new Vauxhall Vectra. I thought not nice to look at but hey, its short term. I actually hated every single second of driving that pile of [email protected], back ache, bad interiour, bits fell off, broke down, rubbish stereo etc.

Thirdly, then you need to speak to dealerships and in particular the business sales teams. These guys know you have £25k-£30k to spend on a car, and will not give you the usual end user rubbish. If you want to test drive a car for a week, most will be ok with it. Usually its a couple of days, and you use them actually in your job. That way you can see if the car ticks all your boxes for actual driving (because by the time you get into it you would have already worked out how much its going to do your back pocket)

Work on it, do your homework and you will find the right car for you for work and for personal pleasure!

(massey fergeson? [:D])
Good advice there. Funny how your experience shows that dealers treat you better!!

The massey fergeson would be fine, but would take me a while to say get to bournemouth, which is where I would stop. Would be covering from bournemouth, up to bristol and down to the end of cornwall. The massey would blend in nice though!!

I know where I am with golf's. They still look classy etc, I'm just itching to try something different, and with someone elses money, sounds good, but like you have said, I'm pretty much stuck with it for a 2-3 year lease then!

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Saab is a re-bodied Vectra! And I belive the interiors are crap.
And Gary our cars are re-bodies Skodas[:p] The interiors are bland but yet the layout is innovative and the ergonomics work really, my mate has bought a 2.8 v6 turbo and it really is a great car and quite rare and understated too....
Me and our kid went to look at one for him but the interior couldn't compare to the Passat. I remember your mate getting his Saab, isn't that kicking out some serious power now?

·
Registered
674 Posts
No probs, alot of the car leasing companies (if this company use one) have pretty good tax calculators on them. The tax law has changed recently as it pulls in the RRP of the car as well as the emmissions. http://www.lvl.co.uk/features_taxcalc.php - can be pretty usefull when you sort of think of a car and want to know how much its going to cost YOU...

One thing though, if you have a good no claims bonus you might wanna check that you wont loose it after so many years of driving company cars - I did and its a killer to go back to square one again, even if some of the insurance companies do take it slightly into consideration.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No probs, alot of the car leasing companies (if this company use one) have pretty good tax calculators on them. The tax law has changed recently as it pulls in the RRP of the car as well as the emmissions. http://www.lvl.co.uk/features_taxcalc.php - can be pretty usefull when you sort of think of a car and want to know how much its going to cost YOU...

One thing though, if you have a good no claims bonus you might wanna check that you wont loose it after so many years of driving company cars - I did and its a killer to go back to square one again, even if some of the insurance companies do take it slightly into consideration.
Cool. Would be able to afford to have my own car, i.e. get my bora back if I had a diesel company car, but, don't think it would be worth it in all honesty, and letting dad sell it now if he want's to. I've moved house, so driving 80 miles a day in a V5 just doesnt make sense. If I got the job I'm after, then the V5 would just be sitting in the car park space I got with the house waiting for some kid to kick his ball into it several times.

The golf the bloke has at the moment costs him £40 a month in company car tax. Like he said, what other brand new car can you even rent for £40 a week!

·
Registered
674 Posts

Cool. Would be able to afford to have my own car, i.e. get my bora back if I had a diesel company car, but, don't think it would be worth it in all honesty, and letting dad sell it now if he want's to. I've moved house, so driving 80 miles a day in a V5 just doesnt make sense. If I got the job I'm after, then the V5 would just be sitting in the car park space I got with the house waiting for some kid to kick his ball into it several times.

The golf the bloke has at the moment costs him £40 a month in company car tax. Like he said, what other brand new car can you even rent for £40 a week!
There you go, your thinking the right way already! £25k-£30k can get you alot of car, but when its a company car you have to look at what its personally going to cost you.........I really wanted the scoobie at the time, but it worked out something like £250 a month in tax at the time! Er, I want it but not that badly.

Oh, and just thought of another option - does this company give you the option of "opting out" of the company car scheme? If so, you could always look at what you can get on your own personal backing using their money. If you work it correctly, you will get nearly free motoring all year round. for instance, some of my friends decided to ask how much and where given the option of £375-£450 per month opt out. One now drives a Boxster, the other has a ford Mondeo Ghia (nice spec and cheap as chips to service) along with a Caterham in his garage........both paid for with a bank loan that is payed each month from the opt out money.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don't think there is an opt out option. They like to put an image across and you are turning up to clients premises all the time. To be honest, the engine is as strong as any other in my Mk3 Golf Diesel I have at the moment, and would do the job, BUT, it doesnt give the right image across.

If they had the opt out scheme, which he didnt mention, but mentioned image, its deffo the way I would go. However, would have to calculate servicing costs, and at 4 services a year, plus tyres and anything else, would probably be a lot easier to just let the lease company take car of it. Depends on how much extra you got a month. Say you got £300 and the car was costing £180 a month, probably worth it.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Yes but the thing is if you go the opt out you get a personal leaser car such as a new Seat Toledo for £225 a month ... if the opt out payment is high at £450 you are quids in

·
Registered
674 Posts
vectra vxr ?

scubaru impreza ? (well... if someone else is paying for fuel!)
All will be high on the company car tax - Fuel doesnt really matter otherwise EVERYONE with a company car would be driving round with a Monaro V8!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts