Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its possible now to buy a new GTI (Euro imported) for £17,650. That's a UK spec, solid colour, no extras, car. But at 13% off, its cheap.

What would it be worth after a year? £16k?

What do you think - is it a sensible proposition (bearing in mind 5% off is the best deal through franchised dealers)?

·
Diesel Geek
4,089 Posts
Sounds like a good price. I would check out the http://www.thedealnegotiator.co.uk they are a VW authorised dealer based in west sussex behind the front end. I nearly bought my wife's new passat from them. They offered me 11% off a brand new car, I used that to squeeze my local dealer to match the deal.

Could be worth a try

Good luck

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like a good price. I would check out the http://www.thedealnegotiator.co.uk they are a VW authorised dealer based in west sussex behind the front end. I nearly bought my wife's new passat from them. They offered me 11% off a brand new car, I used that to squeeze my local dealer to match the deal.
Thanks for that - I was not aware of them. Having said that, even drivethedeal can get no more than %5 off a GTI, you can get 10 or 11% off anything else, including the Passat (apart from the R32) so thats really why the import option still looks good on the GTI.

·
Registered
199 Posts
i used euro imports last year not had any probs what so ever . defo recomend and there was a short wait which was my main reason to use them , richard who owns the place is very helpful and will sort you out . give them a go

·
Registered
894 Posts
I would say £17,650 if thats OTR including any fees is a good price for what you're getting even in basic spec.

Even if you factor in the cost of a third year warranty if you wanted one & any 'possible' lower price on resale for an ' import '.

Attitudes have changed a lot towards ' imports' over the last couple of years because of competition and dealers can no longer ignore them.

I still think there would be a good market for it if you decided to sell sooner rather than later for whatever reason.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I think motorpoint have some in stock, also motorprovider and simple deal that advertise on autotrader have cheap prices. As for value in a year, I guess it will be somewhere in the 15's. It won't match the UK car and you may find some people put off by an import but why pay more than you have to ?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As for value in a year, I guess it will be somewhere in the 15's. It won't match the UK car and you may find some people put off by an import but why pay more than you have to ?
Hmm, I wonder if I could find a year old RHD GTI for under £16k then, I will look on Autotrader.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
There is one, its a 54 plate in laser blue, I think its £15800 and its at Fords of Windsor (or something like that) I think its a base model. They also have a red 3 door with leather for £17200. There are a few on autotrader for 16k, mostly silver and some are imports.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
+ 1 on euroimports, that is where mine is from. Free cruise control too.

For the sake of a grand or so, i'd rather have a new imported one over a year old used one .

·
Registered
990 Posts
I am just back from working in Germany, and the local dealer where I was staying can knock 20% of the cost of a new VW, with delivery in 8 weeks.

Cars supplied by VW UK are also imports, so I don't see what the fuss is about when trying to sell the car on. If I trade my mk4 (personal import) for a new VW at a local stealer, I will get the same price as an identical one supplied by VW UK.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am just back from working in Germany, and the local dealer where I was staying can knock 20% of the cost of a new VW, with delivery in 8 weeks.

Cars supplied by VW UK are also imports, so I don't see what the fuss is about when trying to sell the car on. If I trade my mk4 (personal import) for a new VW at a local stealer, I will get the same price as an identical one supplied by VW UK.
What about VAT? Are you taking account of that? If you are it would appear a new GTI can be had for just over £16k!

The fuss over 'imports' is all to do with the VW franchised dealers over here wanting (understandably) to protect their livlihoods. If everyone just ordered a car from Europe they would be reduced to servicing cars only. They have tried to stigmatise personal (or parallel) imports by valuing them lower at part exchange time. Sometimes their concerns are warranted such as on certain 'rogue' cars which have items of standard kit missing but I am afraid most of it is 'smoke and mirrors' as these cars all come from the same production line anyway. There is the smal matter of the third year warranty too.

·
Registered
199 Posts
as said many times mate 3rd year warrenty can be bought anyway from vw ! the uk should stand up and take notice that people will and are looking else where then the local dealers . in part it is down to them !

1 - 18 of 18 Posts