Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well its new year and the aim was that this week i was gunna get back to the gym and sort it all out. Then i got stuck down by cold/flu so all i wana do is sleep! Hoever next week hopefully ill be back. Got a bit of podge i wana lose and wanted to get built/toned back up again as i havent been seriously into my fitness for a couple of years so this is my plan-need people to tell me where im going wrong.

1. going to do 45mins-1hours cardio each nite i go to the gym (5 times a week) on the cross trainer and bike, then eventually get onto the treadmill aswel.

2. Do the weights i need to do each night focusing on one area each time i go to the gym... biceps and triceps one night, shoulders and chest the next, and back the night after.

3. As regards to the diet i wont be changing is hugely as i dont massively eat unhealthy anyway just going to cut out chocolate for a good long while and cut down on nites out, no point in saying im njot going to drink at all or i would be lying.

4. Im not going to eat after 8pm as its best not to eat 2 hours prevous to going to bed, i usually go to sleep between 10:30 and 12:00.

5. I am going to eat at around 6:00 then get to the gym for 8:00 to work off what ive eaten. Is this the best way to do it or eat after my workout to allow any protein to work into my body after my workout.

So theres my plans, any people in the know or fitness fanatics please advise me on anything im doing right or wrong. Plus am I better off stripping down the fat before starting on weights?

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Hello fella im currently in training for the 2008 world strongest man and depending on what your aim is out of the gym depends on how you train!

Whats your main aim?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeh i just want to loose a bit of weight, (the gut and slight man boobs) and im a really broad shouldered build, dont want to get bulky jst want to build back a bit of muscle and tone up nicely.  Want to get fit really, finding im nowhere near as fit as i was before.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Your best bet then would be to do 4 nights of weights (nothing mayjor), and 3 of Cardio aimed directly at your fat stores! Doing high volume weght lifting burns different calories and fat to Cardio training! heres a sample routine for 1 week!

• Monday (chest, Cardio) - 3 exercises on chest, 3 sets per exercise, 10-12 reps per set. Then 30mins intense cardio on bike or crosstrainer.
  • Tuesday (Back, Legs) - 4 exercises, 3 sets, 10 reps for both back and legs.
  • Wednesday (cardio) - 20mins on bike, 20mins on crosstrainer.
  • Thursady (Shoulders) - 3 exercises, 3 sets, 10-12 reps.
  • Friday (Arms, Cardio) - 3 exercises each on biceps and triceps, 3 sets in each, 10 reps in each set. 30 mins bike or crosstrainer.

How does that look to ya?

·
Registered
881 Posts
Well its new year and the aim was that this week i was gunna get back to the gym and sort it all out. Then i got stuck down by cold/flu so all i wana do is sleep! Hoever next week hopefully ill be back. Got a bit of podge i wana lose and wanted to get built/toned back up again as i havent been seriously into my fitness for a couple of years so this is my plan-need people to tell me where im going wrong.

1. going to do 45mins-1hours cardio each nite i go to the gym (5 times a week) on the cross trainer and bike, then eventually get onto the treadmill aswel.

2. Do the weights i need to do each night focusing on one area each time i go to the gym... biceps and triceps one night, shoulders and chest the next, and back the night after.

3. As regards to the diet i wont be changing is hugely as i dont massively eat unhealthy anyway just going to cut out chocolate for a good long while and cut down on nites out, no point in saying im njot going to drink at all or i would be lying.

4. Im not going to eat after 8pm as its best not to eat 2 hours prevous to going to bed, i usually go to sleep between 10:30 and 12:00.

5. I am going to eat at around 6:00 then get to the gym for 8:00 to work off what ive eaten. Is this the best way to do it or eat after my workout to allow any protein to work into my body after my workout.

So theres my plans, any people in the know or fitness fanatics please advise me on anything im doing right or wrong. Plus am I better off stripping down the fat before starting on weights?

Thanks for any advice!
I wouldn't go jumping straight in at the deep end there bud, i.e. going from doing no exercise at all, to then going 5 times per week, i've been going to the gym for about 4 1/2 years now on an average of 3-4 times per week and i always really enjoy going. If you start going 5 times per week straight away you will be sick of it in a months time!

I see it every year, January its always jam packed, with lots of new faces eager to get rid of their xmas bulge, then it gets to feb/march time and then they are fed up/bored with it, then the gym's completely back to normal again!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorry for the late reply but yeah that sounds very good! Any extra cardio wouldnt do any harm on top of this aswel would it? How long have you been intraing for the strongest man? Have always wondered... you must do pretty intense training, do you visit the gym more than once a day and is it a case of excersising one area such as jst shoulders of would you do chest and shoulders in one workout? Plus a complex diet?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah i do agree! You can even see it during the week a monday will be heaving and then by thurs fri its quietened down again. Ive been a member with my gym for a couple of years and a few times ive started to really get in shape then something will come along and ill end up not going to the gym for a couple of weeks then find it extremely hard to get bk into it. For example when i was doing my final year of uni until june i ended up not going for a week or2 then lost the will to go kind of thing. When im continuously going im fine, and when i have something to push me.

As regards to diet tho, am i best eating before or after my workout if im going to the gym min the evening?

regards

john

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I wouldnt agree with not eating after 8

If u do weights ur musles should be tearing, the bed rest during night is one thing they need. But also they need feeding in order to repair, so you need to be taking in protien.

Try getting urself some Quark, its is virtually fat free and full of protien, after doing weights I normally have this when I get back or whenever I feel hungry. Get some 'Options' sachets and mix, you have a delicous dessert, unless u can get the get the quark down on its own, I cant!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
im guessing its a protien shake.  I suppose having something like a protein shake would be ok an hour before bed, as its not really a meal as such or an unhealthy snack.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
John,

The best advice anyone can give you is speak to a personal trainer. They can create you a routein that'll help you achieve your goals. Chances are you will only need a few sessions

It's not just about exercising and lifting some weights, diet plays a very important part. Knowing the correct way of doing an exercise will also mean that you rless likely to injure yourself and will reap bigger rewards.

Good luck!

J.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
good advice, diet, form and knowing how to acheive your goals are all extremely important and something that a trainer can help you with on a one to one basis

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Quark is a very soft cheese, I think, lol, but mixed with the Chocolate its deeeeeeelish! plus the option only contain about 30-60 cals max from memory!

But as someone said, diet is the key!

I once lost weight years back just eating soup all the time, i had cut out all booze and worked in a pub running around weekends, then i was running at gym for 30 mins to an hour most days, the weight fell off! This may not be such a good plan tho, just happened to work for me, plus i was also very stressed at the time, luckily the weight has stayed off to an extent

I put a little back on but amazing, from hitting weights hard and eating properly and regularly, lots or protien, the quark, tuna, eggs, cottage cheese, etc... i found i was loosing fat but gaining weight cos of muscle i am putting on, which is just great, had a little break over xmas but ive been SO tired this year for some reason ive been to gym once this year, i think cos work is so slow its mentally draining at the mo, plus having the puppy is very tiring!

But im hoping to get back into the gym from 2mora funny enough!

Best thing is to speak to a proper trainer at a gym who can work out a plan for YOU, and dont let em spend 15 mins skipping thru how to lift weights and use machines, luckily this new trainer started at our gym and hes been doing weight for years, we did 3 sessions of an hour each taking me through how to lift weights properly, which was great, and its worked!

Good luck! [:D]

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well ive been back 2days in a row now and ive really been enjoying it, a little sore in the morning but kinda like it in a strange way because i know ive done something then. Just wondering, around by stomach (and love handles) If i do sit-ups or general stomach exercises.... is this going to holp by burning different fat cells or is it best to strip right down before i start doing any excercises on my stomach?

Thanks for all the advice by the way people its been much appreciated! Hopefully i wont overdo the gym and get bored as some nights ill be out seeing the girlfriend or my friends! I also have my goal of getting in shape as i booked a holiday to mexico for june so want to look nice on the beach haha.

Once i know im getting into the gym and im not going to fall off to wagon ill get myself booked in with one of the personal trainers from the gym, the staff are all friendly and the trainers are experts in various areas so i should find one that can help me well.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Just doing sit ups, crunches and other abdominal exercises will not get rid of your "love handles". You can't reduce bodyfat in isolation, for you stomach just by doin sit ups. Even if you did 1000 sit ups per day you wouldn't see a "six pack" whilst you're holding fat around your waist.

Focus on a mixture of cardio work and watching your calorie intake.

You need to decide which goal you want to aim for and stick to that to start with, there's no point in doing 1 hour of weight training and 1 hour of cardio in the same session you'll only over train and not see any rewards. A good session should last between 45mins and 1 hour before you start to over train.

I would work out 3 times a week with 20 mins of intense cardio AFTER the weights. I wouldn't advise training both the biceps and triceps on the same day as you won't train them properly as by the time you've finished bicpes you're triceps will be fatigued.

A 1 week routine should be something like the following.....

Wed - Legs & Shoulders (cardio)

Fri - Back & Triceps

Sun - Chest & Biceps

The reson for this is when you train your back you inadvertently train your biceps and whe you train your chest you inadvertently train your triceps as any pulling movent trains your biceps and any pushin movement trains your triceps so theres no point in training these on the same days

Hope this helps

Ry

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
the above is kinda like I'm doing - except over a 4 day routine. I have 2 days where the plan lasts 36 minutes and 2 days where it lasts 47 minutes ( those have ab exercises in ). Have been doing the same plan for around 8 weeks so tomorrow I get a new program [Y]

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
One other point worth a mention - do not become obsessed with weighing yourself.

Avoid using the scales as after the initial losses which will be quite easy to achieve you will get demoralised with the slow progress of weight loss. The most telling way to monitor your progress is to use a mirror. If you look fat you are fat.

If you weigh yourself at the gym and look up the various charts they will tell you you are over weight etc, as an example I am 6'2" and my weight is generally around 17.5 to 18 stone. Looking up those charts I am clinically obese!

J.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
cheers! thanks for the tips! Sorry if i wrote it wrong about the stomach excercises... i meant would they help along with the cardio? in the same way that weights can burn difference fat cells and callories (if i have that right)? plus why is it best to do cardio after weights?

I agree with weighing myself though, weighed myself on sunday and i was 90kgs... which i was suprised by, was expecting it to be higher.

The last 2 nights i have done 20mins on cross trainer and 5 minutes cool down burning 300calories then 10 mins on bike with 3 mins cool down burning 110 calories... this sound effective or should i be aiming to do a bit more as i build up my fitness? Sorry about all these questions, i should just really see a trainer.

thanks

·
Registered
260 Posts
there are a few more good points.

Changin the exercises within the routines will stop the muscles getting used to the same exercises and thefore stimulate growth, for example

Wed - Shoulders & Legs

3 x 8 - 10 reps - Arnold Press

3 x 8 - 10 reps - Side Raises

3 x 8 - 10 reps - Upright row

3 x 8 - 10 reps - Squat

3 x 8 - 10 reps - Lunges

3 x 8 - 10 reps - Leg Curl

then after 8 weeks change to something like....

3 x 8 - 10 reps - Smith Press

3 x 8 - 10 reps - Front Raises

3 x 8 - 10 reps - Shrugs

3 x 8 - 10 reps - Squats

3 x 8 - 10 reps - Leg Press

3 x 8 - 10 reps - Leg Extensions

Weigh yourself once a week at the same time, same day. Although this can also give a false reading as muscle weighs more than fat. So you may have lost body fat but gained lean muscle so you weigh more. the best way to weigh yourself is with scales that give you a body fat percentage.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Just doing sit ups, crunches and other abdominal exercises will not get rid of your "love handles". You can't reduce bodyfat in isolation, for you stomach just by doin sit ups. Even if you did 1000 sit ups per day you wouldn't see a "six pack" whilst you're holding fat around your waist.
its amazing how many people don't realise this

in fact doing situps with fat on your stomach will make you look fatter as the layer of muscle builds up

1 - 20 of 63 Posts