Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting an Alpine 9853R headunit, to replace my factory fitted radio + cd player which take up 2 DIN slots.

On the net all I seem to find is a double DIN facia adaptor which looks
like it will just leave a double DIN sized slot. Is there any where I
can find a facia adaptor that will either a) leave me just one DIN
sized space to fit the radio or b) leave me a storage compartment in
one DIN slot and space for the radio in the other.

To install the radio i need the ISO adaptor and an ariel adaptor
aswell. I have to switch the red and yellow wires so not to loose
memory. Will I also need to remove a blue wire from somewhere if i use
the ISO adaptor? If so where is this remove from?

Quite new at this, so please explain everything as if you were telling a kid [:D]

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yes you can. On ebay, there are genuine VW ones (search for "VW cubby hole") or more generic, less well fitting ones.

You do not need an ISO adapter as long as you do switch the red and yellow over, and make sure there are no wires going to the k-line on the VWs ISO loom. (however none of the above is necessary if you do decide to buy an ISO adapter, but i think they are a bit of a waste of money to be honest!)

But yes, an aerial adapter is required, this should plug into the 'power aerial' wire on the alpine loom.

Hope this helps!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers for the info.

so i can do without the iso adaptor, but if i do get it I don't need to worry about touching any wires its just plug and play?

This K-wire, where is it? colour of wire? any pics? Does it connect to
the adaptor that plug into the original radio, so would just need pull
it from there and tie it off.

Also what is it I hear about electronic diagnostics not working, with
non factory headunits? Would it mess things up when taking the car for
a service? Or would I not have any probs as long as things are set up
properly?

·
Registered
305 Posts
yes, that's right. the diagnostic equipment may be damaged if the k-line is left connected with a non VW HU, thats why it must be disconnected. So it should be fine disconnected; although note that some dealers refuse to work on cars which have aftermarket stereos for that reason, so its worth hanging onto the tape part of your gamma HU to slot it back in if needed to prevent hefty bills. the wire Iif its even connected) should be pulled on the alpine side of the harness, not the car side. attached should be a pic of the relevant VW iso block.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers again.

I have it now, swap yellow with red and remove k-line, and this is all
done on the on the alpines wire so if I do need to swap radio back its
just a case of plugging the old one in.

[:D]

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
I don't mind my photos being reused,but can you please give me some credit for them,otherwise I'll start putting a big watermark across them?(Any photographer would ask this,it's called "Creative commons licence").

There shouldn't be a problem with the "K" line position in the ISO plug,as I don't recall seeing any aftermarket head unit that actually has that position occupied,or not in recent years anyway.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
can someone tell me what is the halfords part number for the antenna adaptor required?

cheers

Rob

·
Registered
305 Posts
halfords do an autoleads PC5-52 that restores the 12v feed to the antenna feed(?10). depending on your headunit you may also need an antenna plug adapter if the aerial socket is recessed; these come with some headunits. about ?3.50 from halfords too iirc.

·
Registered
368 Posts
you wont need an aerial adapter as the alpine units all come with the
male connector. All that you will need is the aerial amplifier -
PC5-52.

Andy

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks

Just one last thing. Where do I connect the power of the antenna to? Is it to the red wire, on the alpine side of things?

·
Registered
305 Posts
there should be a blue free wire on the alpine harness, labelled 'power antenna' or something similar. the bullet connector of the aerial adapter should go straight into that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
there is a blue wire in the connections guide labelled "POWER ANT", but this is in the connector, its not a free wire?

[:cool:]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts