Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Never went for a top end run sadly my private road isn't long enough, it does however hit 130 odd with ease after that I find the acceleration tails off very quickly, sure someone round here as a avatar of there Golf doing what looks like 155mph. There was a photo floating about somewhere on the net of a remapped GTi with pretty much every bolt on showing 180mph on the speedo taking into account the speedo error thats more like 165-170, I can't see that being managble a lot of times before the turbo would cook itself however.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I know someone who has pretty rapidly attained 130 mph a couple of times after putting their foot to the floor but they didn't want to push it any further than that. I reckon you'd probably get 140 mph before it started losing any steam. Top Gear magazine claim to have hit 150 mph in one and say that VW err on the conservative side with their published performance figures.

There is a video on the forum somewhere of a GTI doing 160+ mph I think.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I had 143 on the Road Angel dont think mine would of got to 150 to be honest..

DSG might be a bit slower than the manual if Chris got that speed...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
they seem to be pretty rapid! i spoke to a guy with a DSG and he states that he can get 145mph in 5th so he recons 160 in 6th!!!!

he tells me that 06 GTI have more power than the ealier ones is this true.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
My GTi was 55 reg. I would be dreaming if i said mine would do 160.

No wonder i got rid going by this mine was broken[;)]

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
I had 143 on the Road Angel dont think mine would of got to 150 to be honest..

DSG might be a bit slower than the manual if Chris got that speed...
yeah, but then if you factor in the car+ driver weight, its about evens, John [:p]

·
Registered
310 Posts
they seem to be pretty rapid! i spoke to a guy with a DSG and he states that he can get 145mph in 5th so he recons 160 in 6th!!!!

The newer ones do seem to put out about 20bhp more, my 06 plate ran 225bhp/225lbft. A 54 plate MK5 GTI on the same rollers ran 203bhp can't remember the torque. 5th and 6th gear are pretty tail on the GTi, on the manual 5th is certainly geared for over 140mph, it is give or take the same ratio as 6th on a Leon Cupra R.

Assuming you have the power to get it there 6th is geared for just over 180mph on the rev limiter, I can't see even a remapped GTI doing that however maybe the bigger turbo'd Edition 30 with a remap might have a chance tunners have already got 310bhp out of a otherwise standard Leon Cupra that has the same engine.

·
Registered
177 Posts

VW quote 197 bhp for the 2.0 litre Turbo FSI which is fitted to all Mk V GTIs. This has approx. 20 bhp more than the Mk IV GTI.

Doubt whether you'd get 160 without a remap.

·
Registered
181 Posts
they seem to be pretty rapid i spoke to a guy with a DSG and he states that he can get 145mph in 5th so he recons 160 in 6th!!!!

That will be fast car, never new the new GTI's could reach 160 on the speedo, I take it, it is speedo readings your asking for Black ctr

·
Registered
181 Posts
Chris

What year is your car and also are you running on standard 17" rims, chris do you know what speed you can reach thru each gear m8, let us know please

cheers

·
Registered
360 Posts
Chris

What year is your car and also are you running on standard 17" rims, chris do you know what speed you can reach thru each gear m8, let us know please

cheers
Its one of the first, a 54 plate on 17's. Not sure on the speeds through each gear, but keep meaning to record some video footage..

1 - 20 of 81 Posts