Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok ,some of you might remember I?m thinking of selling the GT TDi and going back to a petrol. I?m looking at a new GTi and have been trawling the dealers for trade in prices and the cost to upgrade.

I noticed on Sunday the new GTi doesn?t have the silver metal look trim on the ashtray lid and had a power point Instead of a ciggy lighter

So I need the help of you experts please

Are there any other omissions I should be aware of in a 2005/2006 car?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
178 Posts
From what I recall on the forum 2006 models get

• 8 speakers instead of 10 (mid range speakers deleted),
  • non-smoking pack as standard (meaning no ashtray lid and powerpoint),
  • bee-sting aerial instead of integrated into rear screen,
  • knobs on radio have thicker silver highlight,
  • door handles and handbrake button now brushed steel effect rather than chrome and
  • DSG models get flappy paddles as standard?
  • finally on GTi front fogs use bulbs instead of projector technology.

Have I missed anything?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blimey Mate, thanks for that, know what you mean re door handles and radio knobs

2 less speakers, thats a shame.

Never realised about DSG, I thought they automaticly had flappy paddels.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had a go in a gti with the flappy paddles and didnt like it, rather use the gear stick to change on the dsg or just stick it in sport.

·
Registered
894 Posts
You can still order (at no charge ) a smoker pack.

Therefore getting a lid & cigarette lighter element.

I did & it arrived with it. ( still very popular option in Germany apparently )

PS. I don't smoke !

·
Registered
874 Posts
I've been configuring a GTI on the drive the deal website (can't download flash at work so cant look at the official site).

When you order the 6disc in-dash changer with the RCD500, it says you get 10 speakers. Is this the case or is it just an old spec list and you now only get 8 speakers? Also is the RCD500 an uprated stereo or is it just the standard one?

Made a mental note that if I'm lucky enough to be able to order a new one when I change cars, I must order the smokers pack!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can still order (at no charge ) a smoker pack.

Therefore getting a lid & cigarette lighter element.

I did & it arrived with it. ( still very popular option in Germany apparently )

PS. I don't smoke !
Thanks,that's deffo worth knowing.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
In place of the top dash speaker you get a cubby hole thing.. the triggers look better IMO.

The GTI isn't really about how many speakers it has anyway, anyone who owns one will understand what I mean.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In place of the top dash speaker you get a cubby hole thing.. the triggers look better IMO.

The GTI isn't really about how many speakers it has anyway, anyone who owns one will understand what I mean.
Irish, what BBS CH's are you selling?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
It isnt a speaker, its the top vent from the climatronic 2 zone air con. Has this now also been deleted from the GTI spec? If so your looking at a ?700 option.

To be honest, if I where in the market for a GTI I'd either get a used one (early spec) or even an Focus ST. The Golfs spec has been getting worse whilst the price has been going up! It didnt represent good value when compared to its rivals at the start let alone now that its had a lott of the little nice touches removed.

·
Registered
139 Posts
It isnt a speaker, its the top vent from the
climatronic 2 zone air con. Has this now also been deleted from the GTI
spec? If so your looking at a ?700 option.

To be honest, if I where in the market for a GTI I'd either get a
used one (early spec) or even an Focus ST. The Golfs spec has been
getting worse whilst the price has been going up! It didnt represent
good value when compared to its rivals at the start let alone now that
its had a lott of the little nice touches removed.
I don't think you can say that a lot of the nice touches have been
removed. It's still reasonably well specced and remember you're paying
more than a Focus due to the build quality/badge/residual values.

·
Registered
178 Posts
In terms of losing something and not getting anything to replace it I think the only thing that 2006 models have 'lost' is two mid-range speakers.

Functionally, everything else is still there with only slight aesthetic changes (e.g. aerial, non-silver ashtray cover, etc).

Yes it's even more expensive now and you would have hoped that VW would have thrown in something extra for that price (added Highline for example)......but then again it's VW, they're a business and they know their market.

I managed to save a reasonable percentage by ringing all the VW dealers I could find in the back of What Car magazine last year - luckily I found one who was prepared to deal. If I was doing it all again I'd probably go down the import route and get an even better spec for the money :)

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
It isnt a speaker, its the top vent from the climatronic 2 zone air con.
Eh no it's not.. there's a speaker on the top of the dash in some cars. Why would you have a vent like that next to the windscreen!

To answer the question what BBS CHs am I selling.. I'm selling BBS CHs?? 18" to fit a MKV. Few months old before they were put in storage, 4k on the Goodyears.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Eh no it's not.. there's a speaker on the top of the dash in some cars. Why would you have a vent like that next to the windscreen!
Sorry Mark, its for the climatronic, it is a vent and has sensors in.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
So no speaker at all??

I had the same thing in the A3 and I always thought it was a speaker!!

Well there ya go, you learn something new everyday!

It's a speaker everybody!!!!

·
Registered
566 Posts
From what I recall on the forum 2006 models get

• 8 speakers instead of 10 (mid range speakers deleted),
  • non-smoking pack as standard (meaning no ashtray lid and powerpoint),
  • bee-sting aerial instead of integrated into rear screen,
  • knobs on radio have thicker silver highlight,
  • door handles and handbrake button now brushed steel effect rather than chrome and
  • DSG models get flappy paddles as standard?
  • finally on GTi front fogs use bulbs instead of projector technology.

Have I missed anything?
Wow....so for all these changes/deletions we get to pay a recent increase of some ?400? Cool. Must say the bee-sting does look the part though and very VW as it was the Golf MkII 16v that first sported one of these before all the other manufacturers cottoned on.

~ Maxie

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

To answer the question what BBS CHs am I selling.. I'm selling BBS CHs?? 18" to fit a MKV. Few months old before they were put in storage, 4k on the Goodyears.
How much for the BBS's then Irish?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts