Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys ive had enough of the GTI. Been in to the garage every month since i had it (7 months from new) with rattles nd other stuff. My next door enighbour had his engine replaced on his golf 2.0 gt as well.

Every time it goes in to the garage it comes back unfixed, or with extra problems theyve caused. Last time they broke some interior trim, before that they scratched my steering wheel and leather seats.

All this hassle has just spoilt the ownership of the car. Going for a lotus at the end of the year.... where rattles are all part of the fun!

Anyone else having a bad ownership experience? Bad service? RATTLING?!

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
(puts hand up ) me! me ! ME! Loads of things - the car was in the garage for 4 out of the first 7 months. Still rattles inspite of numerous " fixes"

Unfortunately, after 7 months, you're unlikely to get your money back ( although VW HQ did offer me a refund after 6 months)

Sorry to hear your experince though - its a pain, isn't it ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah its a pain, especially when your dicing with getting scratches every time you take it in. Next door neighbour took his in and they gave it back to him with a pair of pliers in the windscreen wiper bay - if he'd have turned them on someone could have been killed. Same garage left a screwdriver in my car too! Bonkers.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
My GTi went last November because of faults with the car, got the Audi and im well pleased.

Mind you, ive just had the steering rack done and the dealers are just as bad.

Lancaster Audi (Liverpool)[N]

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I had more rattles than a creche full of babies, eventually they all got sorted, except one.  I am a glutton for punishment I just got a Merc as a second car.  I see it as a challenge.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yep, i have had numerous probs with rattles etc.. most are fixed now after loads of trips back to dealer. the only one that really pi***d me off was when they changed the rear wiper motor (common fault) they busted the tailgate trim. Any new rattles i think i will live with and fix myself by cranking the stereo up!

Dan

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The dealership is one in wakefield on the main road next to the bmw dealership. I havent given feedback to vw yet, though if they offered me my money back id bite their hand off. What a waste of ?22k.

Both audi and vw are very low down on the surveys for cutomer satisfaction and service quality. My old corsa has better build quality!

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
spooky - I was at that VW dealership about 10 days ago. Service was OK but only only went in for some oil ( it took 20 minutes to get some )

·
Registered
22 Posts
I ordered mine about this time last
year and after an 8 week wait for a factory ordered the car arrived to the
wrong spec. I then had to wait until the end of May for a replacement.<o:p></o:p>

Since then my cars been in the garage 8 times for various things
including rattles, multi function steering wheel problems (took 3 attempts and
4 months to fix and it turned out to be what I told them it was in the first
place) and a persistent knocking from the rear under acceleration which the dealership
think is an ARB problem. After 2 attempts it?s still not being fixed.<o:p></o:p>

I had no joy from VWUK but the dealership have now agreed to replace my car
at there expense with a GT TSi to the same spec.<o:p></o:p>

However my car went in a few weeks ago to have the seat base replaced
after it stopped sliding. While I was there the manager director asked
to speak to me. He was extremely rude and proceeded to have a go about me
accepting a replacement which he thought was too generous.<o:p></o:p>

So needless to say I will be selling/PX'ing the replacement when it arrives and
moving away from VW for good. This is the first new car I?ve brought and
my first VW and I must say the whole experience has put me off VW<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

Ryan<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I ordered mine about this time last year and after an 8 week wait for a factory ordered the car arrived to the wrong spec. I then had to wait until the end of May for a replacement.<?xml:namespace prefix = o /><o:p></o:p>

Since then my cars been in the garage 8 times for various things including rattles, multi function steering wheel problems (took 3 attempts and 4 months to fix and it turned out to be what I told them it was in the first place) and a persistent knocking from the rear under acceleration which the dealership think is an ARB problem. After 2 attempts it?s still not being fixed.<o:p></o:p>

I had no joy from VWUK but the dealership have now agreed to replace my car at there expense with a GT TSi to the same spec.<o:p></o:p>

However my car went in a few weeks ago to have the seat base replaced after it stopped sliding. While I was there the manager director asked to speak to me. He was extremely rude and proceeded to have a go about me accepting a replacement which he thought was too generous.<o:p></o:p>

So needless to say I will be selling/PX'ing the replacement when it arrives and moving away from VW for good. This is the first new car I?ve brought and my first VW and I must say the whole experience has put me off VW<o:p></o:p>

Ryan<o:p></o:p>
You won't be the last one to come that conclusion. Faults such as our cars experience, are probably quite common across the board although lousy dealers don't help.

What surprises me here, is that a lot of people especially the 'young blood' will fork out between ?22-?26k on a Golf, which to my mind is crackers. Alright, so their cars will go like the wind, if that is all that matters to them, however if I were ever to spend my OWN cash on a car I would want something of real intrinsic quality/reliabiltiy and not something that is a tarted up Golf with every accessory in the book fitted to it.

As said before, by others, all cars have their problems but when you've spend that sort of money, it just seems more irksome. Whilst my mundane Golf is really very good, at the moment, based on the gentle driving it gets and the low annual mileage covered, I think I'll have to look elsewhere in the future when the time comes for replacing it, say, after 4 years of ownership. All those car and customer surveys out there all cannot be wrong, can they?

Silk purse and sow's ear comes to mind, it seem, with VW, unfortunately!

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I had no joy from VWUK but the dealership have now agreed to replace my car at there expense with a GT TSi to the same spec.
That is because your contract of sale is with the dealership and nothing to do with VW UK.

However my car went in a few weeks ago to have the seat base replaced after it stopped sliding. While I was there the manager director asked to speak to me. He was extremely rude and proceeded to have a go about me accepting a replacement which he thought was too generous.
So needless to say I will be selling/PX'ing the replacement when it arrives and moving away from VW for good. This is the first new car I?ve brought and my first VW and I must say the whole experience has put me off VW
Why lose out big time selling your car privately just because of the attitude of some d*ck at the dealer? I would take their new car with a smile on my face!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Silk purse and sow's ear comes to mind, it seem, with VW, unfortunately!
I'm a bit surprised at the number of people who seem to have had a bad experience with either their car, dealer or both. Am I an exception when I say that my experience so far, after owning my GTI for almost a year, has been very satisfactory.

• Took delivery of the car on the exact date agreed with the dealer on the initial order. The dealers kept me informed of progress right up to delivery.
  • Car was fine when I took delivery. I've had the ubiquitous creaky steering rack fault but this got replaced under warranty. Dealer's cured the problem and looked after my car while in their possession.
  • Dealer customer services quite pleasant and helpful.
  • Had no rattles or squeaks from the car in 10 months / 12000 miles of driving and no other faults.

I've owned a range of cars, the bulk of them being Ford, with the odd Vauxhall, Toyota and Land Rover thrown in. The best owner experience so far has probably been with the last car - a Toyota MR2 Roadster. Never had a single problem with it, cheap to run, fun to drive and the dealers were fantastic.

However, my GTI is fast becoming the best car I've ever owned. I love it!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
However my car went in a few weeks ago to have the seat base replaced after it stopped sliding. While I was there the manager director asked to speak to me. He was extremely rude and proceeded to have a go about me accepting a replacement which he thought was too generous.<?xml:namespace prefix = o /><o:p></o:p>
Thats hilarious - if this was indeed the 'dealer principal' then its him that offered you the replacement presumably - can you elaborate, it sounds surreal?

·
Registered
22 Posts
The dealership is part of a chain of about 4 or 5 branches. After the third attempt to fix my mulit-function steering wheel(including replacing the steering wheel twice), i asked to reject the vehicle because of the amount of work that was being done. Obviously this was rejected but the dealership principle offered me a replacement to the same spec, which i accepted. The general manager who is a partner in the chain didn't know anything about this offer and was none to impressed to say the least. However what is even stranger is that the other partner in the chain knew all about as i had spoken to him when i asked to reject the vehicle in the first place. I must also point out that i wasn't rejected the car solely on the basis of the warrenty work as there are some paperwork iregularties as well, which i won't go into.

Hope this answers some of your questions

Ryan

·
Registered
349 Posts
sounds like your dealer experience was nearly as good as mine.

mine was related to the driver side door alignment. Took them 4 goes to correct it and on the fourth attempt I got it back with the door and front wing repainted. I was not happy considering it only had 1000miles on the clock. Naturally I rejected it and I'm now driving round in a better spec'd version.

today my replacement has one rattle which eminates from the left hand side of the dash when turning left and the engine RPM at 1500. I'm in two minds whether or not to get it investigated based on the potential for more faults or damage it may have on return!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Dunno about you guys, but with all the problems i here about new vw's i think my next car is going to be a audi. My dads had them for years, and never gets any of the problems you guys suffer.

I have a 2000 Bora 115 tdi, yes its getting on a bit, but in 2 1/2 years i have not had one single problem with it, except normal service items and its nearly done 160k. Mind you its never been near a dealer since i had it, and thats the way its going to stay.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Given that VW and AUDI use common components and chasis id avoid both like the plague. Have a look at the reliability index of both manufacturers on the JD power surveys. They are like 25th/28th.

My next car will be a 350Z, a honda, or possibly a lotus (toyota engine!).

S>

1 - 20 of 26 Posts