Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just IMHO, as early next year the Megane RS in 3 & 5 door will knock out 225 BHp rather than the 197 of the GTi at the end of 2004, seems VW might have aimed at the CTR level and been usurped already??

Price of the Magane is likely to be £2-3000 more, in the £20 K Focus RS range, delivering similiar performance to that without trick differentials, just electronics to stop any histrionics!! (On a roll there couldn't stop myself).

·
Registered
837 Posts
I agree in one respect, but what you have to remember is that the Golf GTI appeals to several markets. While it's supposed to be a fast car, it's also supposed to be a civilised runabout that anyone can drive - nothing too hardcore.

From what I have read, the Fungus is pretty raw and the Civic Type R moreso. However, that Megane could be interesting and if the Clio 172 is anything to go by, it should be a cracking car.

·
Registered
194 Posts
With the weight increase of the Mk5, the 200bhp will be just about comparble to the current 180bhp GTI model.

Power to weight, baby.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Its funny how when anybody mentions a VW turbo engine and performance against many many other cars, Civic, 172, Focus RS, etc etc everybody says, get a chip.

I love cars, BUT if I'm spending that much, (Gti £18000 maybe) then I'd expect it to have enough puff already? I'd not be expecting to buy a car, then spend more cash fixing VW's faults? and voiding the warranty?

Ap.

P.S. hope VW sort out the reliability and dealers when they launch the MK5 ! they have the BMW 1 series to worry about now.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Im interested to see how the 1 series will do...as for the figures, choosing a car is more than just about the numbers - otherwise wed all drive WRXs. Or something.

·
Registered
6 Posts
funny you say WRX, I think I'd like one of those next.

Interior is not as good as MK4, but My fathers does not rattle, the doors do not rattle, the air con is colder, the seats are nice, its fast, it handles well, the steering makes you realise what the mags mean when they mention poor steering feel, the few dealers he's been to are helpful and know about cars, more than can be said by the 'ladies' on reception in all my local vw garages.

Its swings and roundabouts I think, but the Scooby does the roundabouts better. and the VW swings around the corners!

Andrew

·
Expression Intentionally Blank
1,132 Posts
Have all these car companies got the same CAD system? or do they employ one designer for all manufacturers? They all seem the same to me these days!!!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Quote: posted by Turbo 4 on 29/09/2003 23:03:07

I love cars, BUT if I'm spending that much, (Gti £18000 maybe) then I'd expect it to have enough puff already? I'd not be expecting to buy a car, then spend more cash fixing VW's faults? and voiding the warranty?

Here here mate. My thoughts exactly. here they are trumpeting the return of a gti to rival the original concept and on power it is way off the mark, not heard nayone saying the handling of the 5 is million times better than the competition.

And as Thos says power to weight!.................

·
Registered
63 Posts
Quote: posted by jasew on 15/09/2004 21:42:10

CHR15, a german tuning company have already chipped the 2.0T runs at 240bhp, not sure of the torque figures

[:O] That's gonna be one quick GTI!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Looks ok IMO... 6.9 to 60 is ok... hope it goes more than 240bhp thou otherwise chipped or not my mk4 will spank it.... I'm sure Jabba will be looking into it as and when they get their hands on one...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts