Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put the deposit down on a 2 month old GT TDI with heated leather seats and a CD auto changer in the dash ?18999 with 2500 miles on the clock in silver, do you recon i've got a good deal? Be picking it up a week on Saturday.

Having to get rid of my Civic Type R for the Golf which i'm looking forward to but do you guys think i'll miss the CTR vtec to much?

Been talking to a few friends withVW's and reading this forum which is very good. Just wonder what you opinions are on upgrading the the exhaust to a Miltek catback system and i've also been talking to one of the guys at REVO about there chip which they tell me is due for around August.

Also need to look at wheels but need some help here :) probably be looking at upgrading the wheels will 18" fit ok and do i need to look out for any size or will MKIV wheels fit the MKV?

Thanks for the help in advance

Chris

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Welcome!

I would not say that it is a good deal, not as a straight purchase anyway. I calculate the new price of the car at just over ?20k, assuming metallic paint, CD changer and the heated leather. A broker (via a UK VW dealer) will sell you a brand spanking new car for ?18k. If I were you, get your deposit back and place an order at www.drivethdeal.com You will have to wait a few months for the car to arrive but it will be a brand new UK car for a grand less!

If your dealer is giving you the deal of the century on a trade in things may be different of course.

On the question of wheels, Mk IV Golf wheels will not fit the Mk V as the radius of the bolts is larger (112mm).

·
Registered
689 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Like the man says...........

Arm yourself with a couple of quotes from internet brokers, and get into a VW dealers and get a new one from them, you may be lucky and get one to that spec ex stock so you could have it in a couple of weeks.

Dealers are discounting new models at 8-10%. Make sure you get the 2zone climate though as they've dropped that fromt the standard spec.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
used golfs are very expensive from dealers, but having said that the local stealership to me has a red spice with  alloys and leather and sunroof for ?20995. So going by that yes you have a good deal. Although i have seen a few GT's for ?17995 with roof and leather. Drive the deal is a good place to start.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi guys - thanks for the info about the wheels [:D]

Have spoken before to DTD and not massively impressed with their customer service. I got a good quote from the guys over at www.buyyourcar.co.uk but the problem is there are no cars in stock for immediate delivery with the options I want plus I would have to sell the car privately to go through these guys and with the price of Autotrader these days I don't feel inclined to bother. Plus private selling is such a hassle [8o|]

Factory order on new Golf's because of them dropping the 2zone climate control is about 10 - 12 weeks at the moment which means another 10 weeks of the Type-R and they are dropping at about ?250 every month at the moment - which means another ?500 at least off the car if I traded it in. As these guys are only offering ?9450 for the car to start with it gets expensive when you look at the cost to change.

The car I am going to look at was the dealer principals and although it doesnt have cruise control on (which I really wanted cos of the motorway driving I do) they are giving me a much better price on the trade - over another ?1000 if I am honest. The Vienna Leather does look lovely and the 6 CD Autochanger will be nice also. Hadn't thought of getting one in Reflex Silver - really liked Steel Grey but they are like hens teeth at the moment.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Once a trade-in comes in to the equation it gets more complicated and we would need full info about your current car to comment.

What was the problem with drivethedeal? You reallly do not need to even speak to them (but when I have they have been very polite) as they just put you in touch with the VW dealer who will sell you the car.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah trade in's are always a problem when people are trying to value the car over the phone. Can fully appreciate how difficult it is. DTD's prices are good you cant knock that - just when my wife did speak to someone a few months back the guy was really brusque on the phone with her. Not a big problem really.

Knowing that I am going for this test drive on Saturday seems to be making the week take forever to end - why is that?!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
At the end of the day, if you are happy with th car and the deal then thats great.  Hope the drive goes well on Saturday!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mark, this is true - would be an awfully boring world if were all the same. Got any advice for the test drive on Saturday? Not driven a VW before so am expecting a completely different ride to the Type-R.

Chris

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
I would just make sure that you use A & B roads and a dual carriageway / Mway too if possible. Try for about an hour - my dealer only wanted me to go for 15mins & I told him that as I was spending more than ?23K, I would drive a route that I wanted to go - politely of course !!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cheers Damian - my wife works in the motor industry and has managed to get an extended test drive for us on Saturday so we have it for a few hours. Luckily where we are there are some nice dual carriage ways and m/ways to give it a run out. Also want to make sure im comfortable in it as it will be the work car and my drive to work in the morning can be somewhat tedious [|-)]

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Chris, lets just say that coming from a 3 series, I am extremely happy with my GT TDi. It is much much better than I expected it to be - and my dealer has been excellent ( really, he has !! )

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds good :)

Think im going to have a go at pushing the dealer for a set of upgraded 17" alloys recon thats pushing it ?

Chris

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
If there are some you like on another car he may be persuaded to swap them.  The Estorils and Grand Prix alloys are nice on the MkV.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
If you don't ask etc...When I was looking to buy my car, the dealer could only discount ?800 and that was final. Eventually, he discounted ?2210. OK, so the car was new but they will have a margin and if you take yours back for servicing, then they can make their money there. Go for it & push !!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the deposit is just a holding deposit if i dont like the car i can have it back as i haven't seen it.

If they wont move on a set of alloys its not to much of a loss as i'm going to get about ?600 for selling parts off my civic, Induction kit, back box etc. as i've put the car back to standard, and i quite fancy a set of 18" Kahn RSS

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cheers for being honest Irish never brought alloys for a car before but 16" just look rubbish IMO what do you think to replica RS4 18" alloys?

I can get a set for ?699 with Federal 225/40/18 tyres.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts