·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Hello again!)

Volkswagen said:

2 December 2004

NEW GOLF PLUS IS SHOW SURPRISE AT BOLOGNA

Volkswagen will today reveal its new Golf Plus model at the Bologna Show in Italy. The Golf Plus, which fits into the Volkswagen range between the Golf hatchback and Touran compact MPV, will go on sale in the UK next year.

The Golf Plus is based heavily on the Golf hatchback and has the same essential ?footprint?; however, thanks to its increased height (raised by 95 mm to 1580 mm), it offers more interior space. This means more flexibility for the customer, thanks to more stowage areas and loadspace, and a more adaptable rear seat arrangement. These seats can be shifted lengthways by 160 mm and folded via a new system, which means they are lowered automatically when folded down resulting in an almost level luggage space. They can also split 60:40, with the middle seat doubling as a fold-down drinks table. What?s more, a double height boot floor allows more adaptable stowage with a maximum capacity of 505 litres.

Despite this increased space, the Golf Plus, being based on the Golf hatch, retains that model?s essential qualities which include award-winning driving dynamics, value for money and a high level of safety equipment. Its styling is also closely linked to that of the hatch, particularly in key areas such as the bonnet, C pillar and grillle. For the first time in this class, LED technology is used for the rear lights, while active curve headlights ? which follow steering direction ? will also be available.

The Golf Plus will have a near identical line-up to the Golf hatchback with shared engines and trim levels ranging from S through SE to Sport. There will not however be a GTI or a three-door model in the Golf Plus range. Specification levels are also expected to be similar to those of its hatch sibling, giving highlights such as standard ESP, ABS, twin front, side and curtain airbags, and a CD player.

The Golf Plus is closer in concept to the Golf than the Touran, which is offered with seven seats and represents a much larger increase in interior space. Where the Touran appeals directly to buyers with families who are primarily concerned with practicality and space, the Golf Plus is likely to attract those without families ? or with a small family ? but who require more room and flexibility than the traditional hatchback can offer.

The Golf Plus will go on sale in the UK in summer 2005. Price, engine and specification details will be announced closer to launch, though prices are expected to fall between those of the Golf and Touran.

Deek.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think VW are on to a winner here with the concept of the Golf Plus. However, it doesn't look like they're listened to customer feedback on the interior of the mk5. It's still too plasticy. The ash tray area is ugly, and they've missed the metallic trim details that have been added to later mk5s which i think make a big difference.

On the plus side, it's good to see controls on the steering wheel.

Does anyone know what the panel immediately to the left of the hazard warning switch is?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Interestingly though, having just read the article:

http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/volkswagen_news/article_1094.shtml

The diesel engined Golf 'Plus's, are to be offered with DSG. I know there is an issue with the amount of torque the DSG can handle, so what is the torque from the 2.0 TDI 140bhp engine [?], compared to that of the 2.0 FSI Turbo GTI, I would have thought the diesel would still be putting out more torque, but will check the figures.........

I assume the MKV 2.0 TDI isn't already offered with DSG [?]

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
2.0 TDI 140bhp engine makes 235 lb ft

2.0 FSI Turbo engine makes 207 lb ft.

I would have thought that the chipped turbo engine would raise the torque above the diesel figure, but not by a huge amount, maybe 250 lb ft [?]. I would therefore assume that the DSG could handle the torque from a remap on the GTI.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote: posted by jd2005 on 02/12/2004 13:14:32

Does anyone know what the panel immediately to the left of the hazard warning switch is?

Your guess is as good as mine:

Posted Image

Cup holder?

·
Registered
703 Posts
is there really a need for this car? surely it'll cost the same overall price range as Touran and Golf... Does it really offer that much more benefit over the Golf.

Maybe its the whole Seat Toledo competitor, more family space in a smaller size car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Quote: posted by 02 Bora on 02/12/2004 13:18:43

I assume the MKV 2.0 TDI isn't already offered with DSG [?]

You can get the MkV 2.0 GT TDI with DSG. It wasn't available at launch, but was released a few months back. The same engine/gearbox combo is also available on the Touran.

·
Registered
141 Posts

On the plus side, it's good to see controls on the steering wheel.

It is, but then you can get steering wheel controls on Golf's sold on the continent now too, but you still can't get them in the UK, so I wouldn't necessarily take that as read...

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
It looks pretty nice but I really can't see the point. If you want a more practical alternative to the Golf (although it is very practical as it is) then buy a Touran.

I'm sure it will sell though but I'd bet a lot of them sold would otherwise have been standard Golfs.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Quote: posted by richyrich on 02/12/2004 22:19:20

I still don't get where this fits. Weird.

Hmmm, the more I look at it it's growing on me. Ouch the boot looks small though:

Posted Image

Definitely not for prams!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Quote: posted by dxg on 02/12/2004 14:01:12

Posted Image

Cup holder?

Slot for a mobile sim card??

Ie built in fone

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote: posted by richyrich on 02/12/2004 22:26:25

Hmmm, the more I look at it it's growing on me. Ouch the boot looks small though:

Posted Image

The boot has a false floor (which is down in that pic), so its is quite deep. Plus, the rear seats fold as normal *and* the passenger seat back folds forwards flat, so you can get really long things it:

Posted Image

^^

note that the false floor is still down in this pic.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote: posted by cjp2k on 02/12/2004 22:35:34

Quote: posted by dxg on 02/12/2004 14:01:12

Posted Image

Cup holder?

Slot for a mobile sim card??

Ie built in fone

Well, it's definately a "slot"!

This is VW UK's answer:

It is a slot for holding toll road tickets, parking tickets etc.

I hope this is of interest.

Deek.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Quote: posted by dxg on 03/12/2004 00:42:07

Quote: posted by richyrich on 02/12/2004 22:26:25

Posted Image

The boot has a false floor (which is down in that pic), so its is quite deep. Plus, the rear seats fold as normal *and* the passenger seat back folds forwards flat, so you can get really long things it:

Posted Image

^^

note that the false floor is still down in this pic.

Ah, so it is a bit deeper than that?

Still, this is talked about as the new Golf Estate right? There's no way it has as much room unless you sacrifice your back seats which seems kind of like losing the whole point of an estate!

Is this that much more boot room than a normal Golf? Surely the seats go down in that too?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts