Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm new here but have been having a good read and have found this to be a very useful (I did the oil service on my mk4 2.0gti over the weekend thanks to guide on here) so thanks!

I'm doing 25K+ miles in year and I think it's time for my car to go and be replaced by a new diesel. We also need 5 doors due to impending arrival of son number 1.

The 1.9tdi sport is a cheaper and apparently uses less fuel than the 2.0 GTTDI.

However, the 2.0 GT TDI isn't much dearer and when I tried one I thought it was a very nice, rapid car.

My question is, if any has any experience. Would the 1.9tdi (105ps) diesel feel performance wise compared to my current 115bhp gti?

Any opinions much appreciated as I'm going to order at the weekend.

·
Registered
554 Posts
The 1.9 would feel quicker in every respect than your 2.0 petrol due to the levels of torque but if you can stretch to it go for the 2.0tdi as it has the power to keep you satisfied plus I'm guesiing will be more desireable when you come to sell on as it is the newest version.

Either way you won't be disappointed I changed a few years back from a 2.0 GTI to a 150PD and I was very happy, with fuel prices how they are and your annual mileage it's definetly the way to go.[:)]

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Your best bet would be to drive them both, call around some dealers to locate the models you are after and go for some test drives.  I bet you end up with the 2.0 though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments.

The fuel saving alone would seem to just about pay the difference for me to drive a new car which of course comes with warranty and the fun of having a brand new car.

I'm thinking of ordering through drivethedeal.com so may try to avoid the pain of trying to negotiate with a dealer and also wasting their time if I am probably not going to buy throught them.

Probably should buy the 2.0 I suppose.....

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Don't worry about wasting the dealers time.  Make sure you test drive a similar as to what you may buy.  You may end up with a car with a fatal flaw you cannot live with. 

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have just been through exactly the same exercise, except mine was for a Golf Plus. Tried them both and decided the 2.0 was a much better drive although it has a slightly lowered suspension and therefore a little firmer over bumps.
Don't be worried about getting test drives - it's what the dealers are for and if they can offer a reasonable price they will get the business. Show them the internet price and ask them to match it. They will probably not get down to the exact price but you might find it worth paying a little more to get it from a local dealer. But NEVER buy a car without a test drive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was it worth the better drive over the lower mpg? (Although I'm not sure how great the mpg difference will be at 70-80mpg?)

Have arranged a drive of the 1.9 for tomorrow lunchtime. Will be ordering one or the other tommorrow afternoon.

Saw one in the exact spec I will order which has made me start to get a bit excited!

·
Registered
74 Posts
The 2.0 is a more relaxing and easy drive than the 1.9 and you can overtake with just a gentle press of the pedal - a very safe feeling. I also found that the 2.0 had a nicer engine note - deeper and less rattly. I think that you would find the fuel consumption is only significantly worse when you use the extra power - drive it more gently and it would be not much worse than the 1.9.
If you can afford the 2.0 but go for the 1.9 anyway I think you might be disappointed in the long run.
But you really must try them. It's a big investment and you must get it right.
Don't be tempted by that look of the new car and order before you are sure. I have bought several new cars and am always desperate for the delivery, but it's worth waiting to get it right. Good luck!

·
Registered
310 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the fuel consumption my sisters 1.9TDI A3 (105bhp) gets 3-4 mpg less than her friends 2L TDI Golf both under similair driving conditions. I suspect the 2L TDI having the 6 speed gearbox allows it to have a tall final gear where the 5 speed box in the 1.9 is a little lower to allow it to still have some punch. So on the motorway the 2L is probaly getting more mpg than the 1.9

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just ordered the 2.0!

I know at some point in the 3 years I'll run it for I would have regretted not going for the faster car.

Buying a pre-built car so apparently a 2 week lead time. Can't wait.

Time to start a new thread to work out what to sell the current golf for.

Thanks for all the input, I hope to become a regular here.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I suspect the 2L TDI having the 6 speed gearbox allows it to have a tall final gear where the 5 speed box in the 1.9 is a little lower to allow it to still have some punch. So on the motorway the 2L is probaly getting more mpg than the 1.9
Sport model v GT - both have 6-speed boxes. The 1.9 will have slightly better mpg in any situation.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
The 2.0 is a more relaxing and easy drive than the 1.9 and you can overtake with just a gentle press of the
Well maybe - for me I wish I was driving the cheaper car about 90% of the time. Then I need to overtake or quickly accelerate and I realise I made the right decision!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The 2.0 is a more relaxing and easy drive than the 1.9 and you can overtake with just a gentle press of the
Well maybe - for me I wish I was driving the cheaper car about 90% of the time. Then I need to overtake or quickly accelerate and I realise I made the right decision!
I think this will probably end up being my view on this although at the end of the day it's not that much more expensive and I suspect when I come to sell it the difference may be even smaller once resale values are taken into account

·
Registered
310 Posts
I suspect the 2L TDI having the 6 speed gearbox allows it to have a tall final gear where the 5 speed box in the 1.9 is a little lower to allow it to still have some punch. So on the motorway the 2L is probaly getting more mpg than the 1.9
Sport model v GT - both have 6-speed boxes. The 1.9 will have slightly better mpg in any situation.
Never realised that you got the 6 speed box in the Sport/GT ! We all went down to Alton Towers a while back the 2L 6 speed Golf on the 800mile odd trip was constantly getting 3-4mpg more than the 5 speed A3 dunno if maybe the A3 is a little heaver.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would imagine the 6th gear on the Golf is higher than the 5th gear on the A3 meaning that the engine doesn't need to rev as highly and burn more fuel to maintain a specific speed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts