Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here find that there 140 bhp new golf is less fun than the mkiv golf 150 bhp tdi? I find the new golf just does not feel like a fast car!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Get it chipped then [;)]

TBH I prefer the power delivery of the 2.0, and I don't mind sacrificing a bit of grunt for that - it makes it more usable.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I agree with John to some degree, with the stock pd140 setup.

My PD130 had a PHAT wadge of torque from 1800-2800 rpm but even with K&N and Milltek it seemed to die off - loss of puff, even with tuning box.

The PD140, however is a truly revvy engine just waiting to be chipped.

I for one revell in the ability to rev it when necessary.

To some extent, i do miss that real blob of torque but i dont miss all that excessive wheel spin......

.......i'm gonna be superchipped early Jan.....hopefully that will redress the balance!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Think I am going to try rsd and see what the oitenger conversion is like! Spoke to them the other week and they said they could do it for ?525 for mkiv forum members! Still miss the power of my 1.8 T anni.!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I moved from a PD150 to the 2.0 GT TDI. It has been interesting - with 1800 miles on the clock, the MPG is not as good as the PD150 by a fair way, and it is noticably slower. Both of these may improve with more miles.

However, the suspension is much better on the 2.0 GT TDI - way sharper, even though it feels higher than the PD150.

Its going to Jabba in the new year for a re-map, which should make it much more like the PD150 in performance terms.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I went from Golf 130 to BMW 320d Sport and felt the same if it make you feel better - sure this one has more bhp and is much revvier, but it is a lot less economical and doesn't have that thundering torque....

Progress? it is quieter!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Going to book my car in for friday the 7th of january for super chip conversion! ?495 in my local garage with before and after runs and plots! Still have most of the gti interior bits on order aswell just need to wait for bits to become available!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
When my car had a fair few less miles on it I would've said a PD130 felt faster, I'm not so sure now.

Wait til it gets run in a bit more I guess but the 2.0 TDI will be so sweet with a remap.

Can't wait to get mine done in Jan/early Feb.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Quote: posted by harvey240902 on 22/12/2004 00:35:09

Think I am going to try rsd and see what the oitenger conversion is like! Spoke to them the other week and they said they could do it for ?525 for mkiv forum members! Still miss the power of my 1.8 T anni.!

Is that including Vat or Plus Vat?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Just my little anecdote...

My 2.0 GT TDI has now covered 17000 miles, and as I've mentioned in a post elsewhere, the engine seemed to take a real step change in performance around the 10 to 11000 mile mark. Fuel consumption has remained pretty constant at about 46 mpg.

Anyhow, my contribution to this post is when I was driving my car back home over a 15 mile cross country route followed by my Brother driving his wife's MkIV 150 PDI. He'd been thinking of replacing that car with a MkV 140 but was worried about it being a bit slower than the MkIV. We both agreed to "boot it" on the way back to compare performance, and also swapped half way back so we got a comparison from a driving pleasure point of view!

Well, there wasn't a lot in it to be honest. Driving my 5 and turning onto roads off T junctions, I was able to pull out a bit of a gap on him, but only at higher speeds. On the "twisty bits", my car was also able to open up a noticeable gap and I could see the 4 falling back, especially where the road was a bit bumpy.

When it came to change around, as you would expect, the reverse was happening. I found myself having to back off in the 4 during the T junction scenario, not due to wheelspin, but because I was catching up my 5 and examining the boot very closely! Once the speed increased a bit though, it was frustrating, but my 5 was edging away.

On high speed sweeping corners, and bumpier stuff, I was much less comfortable in the 4 and didn't feel at all confident, but then I wasn't that familiar with the car. Also, although ultimately a bit slower in the corners, it never felt like it was going to go through the hedge or anything!

My Brother commented that he missed the low down grunt of the 4 but said it was enjoyable how the 5 carried on pulling usefully after the 4 had tailed off. Personally, I enjoyed the real shove in the back from the 4.

I'm not 4 bashing, and I'd be very happy to have either car to be honest. Interestingly, I'd have either engine in either car as well! Yes, they're different, but both good.

It wasn't a scientific comparison by any means, but my Brother has now ordered one to replace the Mk4, partly due to our little "test". Had his wife been able to order a brand new Mk4 though, then it might have been different as she prefers the shape of the Mk4, but then she's more interested in it being a Golf at the end of the day!

on another note, I never used to get much wheelspin in my 5, but since the 11000 mile mark, it's now more prone to do so which seems to support the fact that the engine is now properly run in and developing all it's power, if not a little more. It certainly feels very similar to my old BMW 320d (150 version), and to be honest I prefer the VW engine to the Munich jobbie.

Anyway, rambled on enough, but thought you might be intrested in my mini comparison!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thats an interesting read, ime currently thinking about maybe

swapping my 110 for a mk4 150 or mk5 140 and are interested to hear

the differences between the 2.

I can get a 3year old 150 for about 11k but the mk5 140s are still a min of about 15k so its a 4k difference between the two!

Sounds like performance is about the same the big differences is the

handling by the sounds of it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Tooks for the advice! Going to give my GT the superchip treatment and see how she performs after that! I just need to not drive the new GTI otherwise I know I will end up ordering one!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Well done Iain for that great comparison........i'm finding my Mk5 is loosening up now having done 4.5k

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
The wheel spin is now down to more power IMO it's down to your tyres being eaten by the torque.

I have 11K on mine now and in the wet I can't get the power down anymore in 1st and 2nd anymore and I do need new tyres.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts