Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See Free VDS-Pro / VagTacho Alternative

and

It's worked well for me. It has the ability to read/write cluster EEPROMs so I wouldn't necessarily use it for the write bit, but this seems to be a safe and secure way of getting your SKC for key and ECU adaptations. I trust a tool that's got its source code published a little more than the dodgy ripoffs of VagTacho, etc.

I used a generic £5 cable off eBay, and got my SKC so I could add keys to the car (I'm a registered VCDS Lite user). He's adding more stuff to it every day (radio codes being the latest thing)

As with all things diagnostics related, your mileage may vary, your cluster might die, etc etc. Works with VDO & Bosch/MM clusters.

·
VR6 GT35 4mo
11,470 Posts
How I've never tripped over this I do not know. Great find!

Will go through the thread, but would be awesome to see what reads it can get from the CCM! These weren't documented as well.

·
Registered
10,909 Posts
A shame both me and my mate that normally buys the cars I work on are not running any mk4's or mk5 platform cars otherwise i would give this software a go... but i put the link in my favourites, thanks for sharing! never know what type of cars we endup getting so will see if i can use it in the near future.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A shame both me and my mate that normally buys the cars I work on are not running any mk4's or mk5 platform cars otherwise i would give this software a go... but i put the link in my favourites, thanks for sharing! never know what type of cars we endup getting so will see if i can use it in the near future.
Obviously prices are different for the trade but I've just added a new key and remote for £50, compared to a quote of £125 from a local locksmith, and god knows what from a VW dealer. Going to be useful for cluster swaps as well I'd imagine.

My experience with it (Bosch/MM cluster) was that I needed to set the baud rate to 10400 to get it to sync, and when it ran it did a minor reset on the cluster (MFA memory and clock, but not the trip meter in in odometer). This is expected behaviour but is a bit "Oh hell, what have I done" as there's a lot of beeping and flashing of warning lights :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, just noticed - he's added support for extracting the SKC from (some?) IMMO3 ECUs!

"You can now use the GetSKC command to read the SKC from the ECU (EDC15 only). It will also tell you if your Immo is on or off."

Correct me if I'm wrong but that makes buying a used ECU off eBay/a scrappy so much easier.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: He's added adaptation to this - meaning, potentially, you don't need VCDS to add new keys or do other things you might need adaptation functionality for. This appears to apply to all modules, not just the cluster. Still a command line tool at the moment so it's probably a good idea that you really know what you're doing before trying any of this stuff, or bench test if you have the necessary kit. Or do it on a module or component that's less critical than the cluster/immo. You've got the full suite of adaptation commands available - Read, Test, Save. Syntax is simple enough:

KW1281Test <PORT> <BAUD> <MODULE NUMBER> <COMMAND> <CHANNEL> <VALUE> plus SKC or Workshop code if needed.

So the following would tell the cluster to add 2 keys to the immo using SKC 09999

KW1281Test COM3 10400 17 AdaptationSave 21 2 09999

And, if you don't yet know your SKC you can probably get it with

KW1281Test COM3 10400 17 GetSKC

Personally, I'd rather stick with the UI and support of VCDS but this is a very useful tool for power users.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts